What is this tool called and where can I find one?

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm looking for a tool to make all my hose clamping and un-clamping easier. I'm referring to the clamps found on many of the water hoses and all the boost hoses. The tool let's you squeeze the clamp open remotely, so that you can still unclamp things in areas too tight for a tool with a handle on it. Do you guys know what i'm talking about? It's got like a long cable that attaches to the clamp and then you squeeze a handle at the other end of open the clamp.

Please let me know if this makes no sense, I will try to clarify.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
the sears ones work well, just make sure the hose clamp isn't in the "groove" or it will pop out of the tool.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
alphaseinor said:
the sears ones work well, just make sure the hose clamp isn't in the "groove" or it will pop out of the tool.
Yup, and if the small "tang" gets in the slider mechanism, it will cut the cable. BTDT. 4 times. I don't use my Sears tool anymore.

Astro Pneumatic for me without any problems whatsoever.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I got these a month ago because I was tired of using Channel Locs all my life to get the clamps expanded, in preparation for a timing belt job on an ALH.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00999847000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Worked on most of the clamps, but on the upper charge air pipe connection to the IC, I had to use my Channel Loc pliers to spin the clamp so I could get the hose clamp pliers on it.

I should just buy the cable type pliers and be done with it.

--Nate

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The sears tool is also good at pinching your finger as you remove the clamping mechanism from the spring clamp... quite hard!

-Jason