What is this DTC ? ? ?

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Just scanned (Snap On System) my car ('02 Jetta TDI 5 Speed) for a MIL that came on the other day. Came up "17058 SHIFT SOLENOID E OCCURS IMMEDIATELY" ! ! ! I have a stick . This code doesn't show up in the Bentley anywhere! Cleared the code and it hasn't came back on yet - Fluke or what? (or maybe a glitch?) Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It is a code for glow plug #4, but it is actually the # 1 plug that threw it. Either you have a bad plug or some corrosion on the harness. Since you mentioned that the code has not returned, I would bet that its the later. Just spray some Deoxit into the harness terminals.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Wingnut - you-da-man!!! I checked all four plugs and 1~3 checked @0.2 ohms and #1 was open! I called every parts joint in the area and no one has it in stock. I ordered one from Murrays and it will be in tomorrow morning (it is a Bosch the failed one is a Beru). I will probably replace the other three but through my Brothers shop supplier at a much lower cost (paying $19.99 USD from Murrays for the one).

Thanks again - this site is priceless and the people on it are terrific (why can't the whole world be like us TDI'ers ?
) OH - by the way - these plugs are so much easier than the old VW Diesels to change - it took me 3 mins. to ck., find and take out the bad plug (that includes taking off the engine cover).

One more question - I am going to use anti-seize on the threads of the new plug - would it also be wise to use dielectric grease on the ends and boots? They currently look clean and show no corrosion but they also look dry.

Thanks again.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Don't use dielectric grease.

Use some deoxit, oxgard, or something that prevents corrosion of electrical contacts.

BTW, you probably won't have any problems with mixing the Bosch with the Beru. Don't change 'em unless you have to.