What I learned from my VW mechanic

think diesel

Veteran Member
I was at Stohlman VW in Tysons Corner, VA today and I started making some small talk with one of the VW mechanics while retreieving my radio code so I could swap batteries.

According the the VW mechanic:

"The TDI has 22.5 to 1 compression, that's why they warm up so quick"

I see....

and

"The TDI turbo runs hotter than the 1.8T"

Interesting, I did not know that

He also informed me that his dad has a TDI and it makes "200 horsepower" and all he had to do is "swap in a 'German Engine Control Module'"

Wow. It's amazing what you can learn at the VW dealer. Kind of scary when the people you trust to be up to their elbows in your engine know LESS about it then you do.

I didn't call him on the fact that he was completely WRONG. It wasn't worth the effort to argue with him.... Just a word to the wise.

The grease monkeys over at Martens VW where I bought my car seem to be at least a little more knowlegeble about the TDI for what it's worth.

Now. Do any of you know where I can get me one of them "200 horsepower German Engine Control Modules???"

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
you were more than likely talking to the jr. wanna-be tech. the schmuck that might be in technical school, but is more than likely lucky to be able to tie his owns shoes in the morning. dealers always hire these morons to do menial tasks that they wouldn't give to a seasoned master tech.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I learned a long time ago that it's pretty much pointless to argue with someone unless you can show them concrete proof of your side. I was at a car show with my 64 GTO. I had a guy telling me that his father had the same car, only it was a 4 door GTO. I told him that was impossible because Pontiac never made a 4 door GTO. But without having any books with me, I couldn't convince the moron of the fact.

Oh well. Sometimes it's better to just nod and say, "I see....."

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
yeah when people say dumb **** like that to me, i usually answer with something like "oh yeah? wow..." or "right..."

those kinda morons are the ones that overvill your engine with the wrong oil. i dont' want them fools touching my car

think diesel

Veteran Member
Originally posted by jasonTDI:
you were more than likely talking to the jr. wanna-be tech. the schmuck that might be in technical school, but is more than likely lucky to be able to tie his owns shoes in the morning. dealers always hire these morons to do menial tasks that they wouldn't give to a seasoned master tech.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">God, I hope so

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Really ... I never heard that before. That is something. MMM, how about that. Tell me more about that. That IS amazing.

Fortunate for me I have a dealer who doesn't BS with me.

Really ...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Originally posted by jxpfeer:
yeah when people say dumb **** like that to me, i usually answer with something like "oh yeah? wow..." or "right..."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've increasingly taken to that strategy, too, in my dealings with people. Just let them swim in their own stupidity and ignorance. An example: one has to be so careful with one's words especially in a public forum where what one says can be read by thousands of people years down the road. Doubtless I have been wrong many a time, but some people, knowingly or otherwise, just don't know better than to dig deeper holes for themselves. The idiocy of their statements live-on for the rest of the world to read and laugh.

A hopelessly dumb man says dumb things and keeps talking. A dumb man redeems himself when he shuts up, concedes his error and stands to be corrected. A smart man knows to keep his mouth shut in the first place when it's appropriate.

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
The mechanic at cutribus knew a thing or two. He noticed my "epsilonian" device and understood it right off. And he mentioned "those guys on the TDI club are really amazing - those are some really smart and passionate guys. I can't believe what they've done with the TDIs."

It was good to hear a dealer mechanic - although not a spokesman for the dealer - compliment this club.

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
WOW!!!!

Hey, but seriously, I have seen 4 door GTO's and I had a 4 Door Chevelle Super Sport myself.
Why I even seen SS Crown Victoria the other day.
And there was this boarhog with teets that came after me when I was young!!!

Do you think it's not true that glow plugs aren't warming up when you open the door?
If so, I've been wasting a lot of time standing next to my car in the mornings staring off into space....

Thank you, for this thread thinkdiesel, it was a welcome relief to some of the dog fighting that's going on.

think diesel

Veteran Member
My friend Rachael just bought a '02 New Beetle TDI --- she was already sold on a Beetle. I convinced her to get the TDI

Any way her salesman told her the same thing about the glowplugs turning on as soon as you open the door.

I set her straight. Also showed her where to find Amoco Premier and presented her with a case of Standadyne Fuel additive as a Beetle-warming present

It's pretty sweet. Yellow with black leatherette interior and CWP. Very nice. I am jealous of the leatherette. I would have loved a leatherette option on my GL Jetta
I think without my Wet Okole seat covers the GL fabric would last maybe 6 years before it started looking pretty ragged. The leatherette looks like it will last 20 years.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
Originally posted by dzljet:
Hey, but seriously, I have seen 4 door GTO's and I had a 4 Door Chevelle Super Sport myself.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Accually, I have!
You'd be suprised to see some of the hacked together so called "muscle cars" today.
All it takes is a call to one of the many parts suppliers who replicate emblems and other parts. You can easily make SS anything if you want, Caveat Emptor!