What did you do to your MKIV today?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Well got the block down the shop and ran it through the cleaner, along with a good 3 hours of pressure washing/scrubbing. Now you can't tell this used to be a veggie burner ;) getting ready to ship it to be machined.

What are you building?
Well got the block down the shop and ran it through the cleaner, along with a good 3 hours of pressure washing/scrubbing. Now you can't tell this used to be a veggie burner ;) getting ready to ship it to be machined.

What are you making? And is that a metal dipstick tube?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I thought that bit of the dipstick tube is always been metal while the upper part was plastic (obv missing in photo)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I removed the original rear shocks on Jettachero today and replaced them with a pair of used Koni Yellows I've had kicking around for a while.

What precipitated this was the symptoms that acted like at least one wheel was out of balance, and presented on exceeding 60mph indicated. I had previously had all 4 wheels rebalanced, so I figured that it was doubtful that the balancing had been screwed up twice.

On removing the old original shocks, one of them acted like there was no gas pressure at all, and the other acted like there was a little pressure, but it was so low that there would be a pause, then a slow return to maximum extension. Also, as you can see in the photo, the bump stops gave up a while back. I wish they used something other than urethane foam for those. The stops just don't seem to last that well. But none of that assembly owes me anything as 233k miles and 19 years of use is probably good enough.

Anyway, a road test confirmed that the wheels are no longer generating the speed related vibrations, so it looks like that problem is resolved. And just for a final bit of trivia you don't care about, I adjusted the shocks to as close to the middle of the range as possible.

Cheers,

PH

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I thought that bit of the dipstick tube is always been metal while the upper part was plastic (obv missing in photo)
I guess I never looked that close

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
What are you building?

What are you making? And is that a metal dipstick tube?
Just replacing the tired engine in my wagon, the engine in it had 325k miles of unknown history before I got it, and my fuel economy has gone way down again, along with being smokey 100% of the time. So I'm doing a shotgun approach of refreshing the engine. Also doing away with some poorly built 1019s I have and getting some 764s

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m firmly rooted in Michigan and love it, but always thought it would be great to live in a state that a favorite vehicle could be kept and repaired without having to deal with extreme rust

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cleaned a few spare oil pans I had, and actually shipped out an engine to be built. Oh man, so excited!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I’m firmly rooted in Michigan and love it, but always thought it would be great to live in a state that a favorite vehicle could be kept and repaired without having to deal with extreme rust
Altho a little costly, i suppose you could run a beater in the winter to preserve your good car ?

I have family in Michigan and it is horrible what the salt does to a vehicle over the years.

Andrew

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Jetta is my beater😬, my K5 sees limited use, has a popup camper on it. But I am still out in the winter with that. A few years ago the county resurfaced our road with limestone. Nice stable surface, but as hard as salt on a vehicle. Can’t beat rust back easily here

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I may have put that link in the wrong thread

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Why is the AL stuff still on there nero? never saw anything that would stand up to a Hot Tank(dirt-wise that is ). Nothing to do but let'er soak and then rinse off.

Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean AL stuff? All that's left on the block is paint and raw iron. Spent a few good hours pressure washing it and running it in an industrial parts washer.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I think he means the valve cover, head, oil filter housing and oil cooler According to the picture.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, I was asked to leave it assembled pan to valve cover, so it stays sealed during shipment. Even though I put it in a shipping bag, can't be too safe. You can't tell, but there's no piston/rods in it. Backstory, engine was originally in a 2003 NB that was burning oil. Previous owner had a WVO system on it, but ran it wrong. New owner put a turbo, pump, injectors, and timing belt on it to get it to run, but still burned oil badly. Turns out WVO causes all 3 rings to seize into the piston. Also scratched the bores.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Did the black grill thing today. the weather was not very agreeable. cloudy 50 and some humidity. I employed the kitchen stove to warm the grill (wife was gone 😛)...... and warmed the rattle can for a while. Everything hung in there I think. Looks like the paint stuck.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Nothing to do with my mk4, but I'm just excited... Got a 6500 optimizer engine for my Chevrolet! That's the military version 6.5 liter diesel.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
took a chance with some crossbars that turned out well. I needed to mod the brackets since they were not plug and play. The wing shape seems to keep the wind resistance down pretty nicely. I don't feel any more buffeting than normal, but I'm sure there is, and wind noise is not bad at all. they are solidly mounted. grabbing them feels like they are part of the car. need to see what next tank of fuel gets.

mocked up a tin the bracket required a specific joggle. nice to work at a fabrication shop!

Will switch out the big nobs and go with black cap nuts them a little more secured.

That fin! Not to big, and looks great. The rack looks real professional too

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not today, but last night. Drove an old coworker out to the sticks of Washington to go look at a tornado red 03 wagon manual. He ended up getting it. Little rough around the edges, but surprisingly very well mechanically maintained. Only 220k on the clock.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove the Golf out to western MA to have coffee with my son. 340 mile round trip, my calculations say it cost about $19 in fuel. Why I like TDIs.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Has anyone heard of this outfit... and whether these would be any better than my old OE suspension. I'm looking for an inexpensive upgrade and ability to lower the ride some.

https://www.suspensionclub.com/prod...bora-jetta-golf-mk4-18t-19-tdi-23v5-seat-leon
i don't know too much about suspension parts on these cars but id say at that price, those have to be to good to be true. although i could be wrong, if anyone has ever tried these and they are of respectable quality, id be interested in them as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Has anyone heard of this outfit... and whether these would be any better than my old OE suspension. I'm looking for an inexpensive upgrade and ability to lower the ride some.

https://www.suspensionclub.com/prod...bora-jetta-golf-mk4-18t-19-tdi-23v5-seat-leon
Probably be OK, but only for a few thousand miles. I'd suggest you instead do something like this https://www.idparts.com/replacement-strut-shock-set-sachs-p-4251.html and keep standard ride height. You could get some GLI springs (new or used) if you really want to lower it.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Drove the Golf out to western MA to have coffee with my son. 340 mile round trip, my calculations say it cost about $19 in fuel. Why I like TDIs.
250 round trip for me today to pick up a piece of HP test equipment from an ebay seller. I didn't want to pay shipping (it's kind of big) and I didn't want it damaged in transit. Exactly what I bought the NB for - the freedom of being able to pick up purchases at far places that I can't get to in a reasonable time in my eGolf. Started with trip already 470 miles into a tank of diesel and made it there and back no problem without refueling. Love it!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Probably be OK, but only for a few thousand miles. I'd suggest you instead do something like this https://www.idparts.com/replacement-strut-shock-set-sachs-p-4251.html and keep standard ride height. You could get some GLI springs (new or used) if you really want to lower it.
Thanks Indigo. great suggestion. I may start looking for some springs because the ride is wheee bouncy and rocks some side to side. Not fun on the 40-60 mph twisty curves I drive daily.

Was thinking of adding a rear sway bar too.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
i don't know too much about suspension parts on these cars but id say at that price, those have to be to good to be true. although i could be wrong, if anyone has ever tried these and they are of respectable quality, id be interested in them as well.
I have tried a set similar, same build, probably out of the same factory under a different name. Save yourself the money and headache (as well as ride quality).

I was intrigued to drop the car 1". It lasted just over a year.ride quality was poor, clearance was poor. You could PM me if you want more details...