What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Starting to look like a real Volkswagen. Just a few more lights and I win a prize I think

I've actually been tempted to open up a cluster and change LEDs for the differnet warning lights, so it DOES look like a Christmas tree. Except that on my own cars, the only error light I get now, is for immobilizer on (because I need to load a different EEPROM for my cluster). All my ALH ECUs are immobilizer deleted, so they're key-agnostic at this point.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'll confess to cutting a small piece of black electricians tape and covering the immo light. Works a treat, lol.
I have some spare clusters... maybe one day, when I have nothing better to do, I'll get some different colored LEDs from Mouser and just change them all on the instrument cluster, redefining notion of one's instrument cluster "lighting up like a Christmas tree."

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I did some diagnostics on my '05 mk4 Jetta. It has a crank no start. I finally got it to run, but it ran awful and didn't run for very long... Timing is right on, fuel is there, no codes except the EGR code and brake light switch signal implausible code.
The cam sensor was damaged. Replaced it with a new oem one.
The oil pan had been replaced recently, so i pulled the crank sensor and used a camera to look at the reluctor wheel, no damage on it. Cylinder balance when it did run showed -2.01,-2.01,-1.65,2.99 which tells me that cylinder 4 isn't firing at all, and the other ones are being pulled down as well.
Maybe I should make a thread about it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Decided to work on rear brakes yesterday. I did calipers pads and rotors couple years ago, but these pads and rotors were shot. I was gonna just do pads and rotors, but after taking passenger side off, calipers were also gonna be needed, as the piston boot was ripped. Good thing is I've had a new set on shelf for awhile, a pair from eBay for around $110. Can't be any worse than the "remans" from Advance that went on there last time, maybe the ones I took off can be warrantied... Got the pads and rotors from Napa a couple months back, as I knew they had to get changed. Took about 3 hours, as I had been up for 22 hours when I started. Just gotta do test drive and check for leaks again, hopefully this takes care of rest of pulsing pedal, went almost away after I did fronts.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I'll confess to cutting a small piece of black electricians tape and covering the immo light. Works a treat, lol.
Most of my vehicles have a little piece of electrical tape over the high beam indicator because when I drive country roads I find a little blue light really messes up my night vision

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
So, again, all I have is some abuse to report. Hit a pothole. A big one. I'm surprised nothing broke. Honestly it's not my fault, I was distracted by this guy coming up behind me

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Most of my vehicles have a little piece of electrical tape over the high beam indicator because when I drive country roads I find a little blue light really messes up my night vision
Ha yes same here, that blue light is always WAY brighter than it should be. I like to use a little circle of window tint, that way you can still see the light when your brights are on.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
So, again, all I have is some abuse to report. Hit a pothole. A big one. I'm surprised nothing broke. Honestly it's not my fault, I was distracted by this guy coming up behind me
Is..... Is the strap tied to his wiper arms??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ha yes same here, that blue light is always WAY brighter than it should be. I like to use a little circle of window tint, that way you can still see the light when your brights are on.
Odd, I've never thought about that. And bright lights distract me easily.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
To make it up for my buggy, I need to order her some new parts. 2001 with the beige interior, I need a driver's seat belt, the three or four little cup holder inserts, and the passenger seat release lever so people can get in the back. By people I'm in my dog haha. I kind of wish I could find a cheap trailer hitch, just to make people wonder what is he towing with that thing ha!

Anyways, what's the best place for those interior parts?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Rear brake job did the trick:) no more pulsating, nice and smooth stops now. Checked the receipts for the old calipers, they were already warrantied calipers. This car seems to go through calipers, this is 4th set I've done, last time I did the rear brakes was December 2019, so this was longest so far since owning car....

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I didn’t fuel up when I should have yesterday and the fuel light came on on my way home today, I went another 56 km after that and didn’t run dry... When I fuelled it up it took 60.8 liters, vented and filled up to the neck, no foam.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I didn’t fuel up when I should have yesterday and the fuel light came on on my way home today, I went another 56 km after that and didn’t run dry... When I fuelled it up it took 60.8 liters, vented and filled up to the neck, no foam.
Furthest l have driven with the light on: 95km. Biggest fillup: 61.9 litres.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Rear brake job did the trick:) no more pulsating, nice and smooth stops now. Checked the receipts for the old calipers, they were already warrantied calipers. This car seems to go through calipers, this is 4th set I've done, last time I did the rear brakes was December 2019, so this was longest so far since owning car....
Remanufactured calipers suck. My car at 190,000 miles is oem. Rebuilts seize up. Must use liberal coating of synthetic brake lube on all guide pins and mating surfaces for pads.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just bought a full set of (hopefully new) calipers to install this weekend, due to the current (likely original ones) being worn to a near knife edge where the pad backing plates slide on the calipers.
The rear calipers have been reluctant to release the parking brake for a good while as well, even with new parking brake cables and return helper springs installed.