What did you do to your MKIV today?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Would it be best to use a paper gasket or a metal one? Can’t remember what goes where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the metal ones only go between the hot pipes, at each of the joints other than the one into the EGR valve.

As soon as I snugged up the bolts and nuts that held the joints, the noise went away on my car.

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Replaced my rear blinker lights with amber LEDS that have the resistor built in. No hyper flash! Also turned around one of my sun visor clips that I had installed backwards for some stupid reason.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Replaced my rear blinker lights with amber LEDS that have the resistor built in. No hyper flash! Also turned around one of my sun visor clips that I had installed backwards for some stupid reason.
Which LED's did you go with that have a built in resistor that actually works? Seem to be few and far between!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Canceled my order for Ocean style wagon tail lights, they'd been on backorder for 6 months. Sad face.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What did you use them for? It looks like on those bulbs the detents/nipples aren't in the correct orientation/height for the tail light holder socket?
Or did you get a 7506 version of those?
Ahh - crap. I forgot to make mention that my tail lights are aftermarket altezza-style lights like below, so yeah - probably different bulbs.
(On the plus side, the aftermarket tails made it easy to add in rear fog. :))

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
With all the stuff I'm hauling around in the hatch, coupled with the hitch receiver, rack, and occasional bike or two, the back end of the Golf was sagging quite a bit (top photo).

Wagon springs to the rescue!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So this will be an interesting one. I've been neglecting adjusting my driver side door because I don't feel like pulling everything to get to it (bumper, wheel, liner, fender, etc...).
I've been stewing for days if there's a way to do it without having to do all that other work.
Lets just say I was able to loosen the triple square bolts on the outside...but I broke one of the tools I was using. It was partially my fault for not looking closely at the bit and how I should go about the setup because of the weird angle.
Luckily Amazon is sending me out a replacement set of them.
Once I get the replacement tools I'll do a quick writeup on it. The upper triple square was cake, the bottom one is where I snapped the bit. I was able to use the broken bit though to loosen it still! It kind of buggered up my socket but hey, they have lifetime warranties!
So far this has been a success. I have been able to re-adjust my drivers side door without dismantling half of the front end. The only things I took off were the hood latch handle so I could remove the kick panel trim to get to the inside triple square inside the car. Nothing else (I guess you can say I loosened the driver side latch and d-ring to re-adjust after the door alignment).

When I get the bits tomorrow I'll do a quick writeup of how to do the job.

Ahh - crap. I forgot to make mention that my tail lights are aftermarket altezza-style lights like below, so yeah - probably different bulbs.
(On the plus side, the aftermarket tails made it easy to add in rear fog. :))
Ahh ok that makes sense now. I was looking into some aftermarket lights but nothing really peaked my interest. Originally I was wishing the Golf had a "GLI" style tail light somewhere out there so I could utilize that fog light as a second reverse light (because on the Jetta GLI tails, the fog and reverse are clear) but then that wouldn't do much for the 5th brake light mod unless you figured a way to use a red/white switchback LED. But as bright as the single reverse LED's are now a days it's plenty bright even with 20% tint all around.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Were they the Euro spec (clear turn lens) or the UK spec (amber lens)? From whom did you order them?

Edit: If the clear turn lens, check this out: http://tinyurl.com/yb9byt9q
They were Euro spec through ECS, Estimated ship time was March, and I put the order in January. Really bums me out because I was really looking forward to them.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Re LED's and hyperflash, ClustersByLitke sells a replacement hazard switch that will prevent hyperflash without the need for specific LED bulbs or load resistors. I can't link to it because it's on a Facebook store but this is the text:

"Details

MKIV Golf/Jetta, B5/B5.5 Passat, New Beetle (lower dash and upper dash mount styles), T4 Anti Hyper Flash Hazard Switch/Relay to eliminate hyper flash (fast blinking of turn signals indicating a bulb is burnt out). This is perfect for those who install LED turns signals and don't want to add load resistors and are looking for a more plug and play solution. This is 100% plug and play and 100% reversible. Flash rate is 90 Hz +/- 5 depending on donor switch resistance tolerance stack which is SAE standard frequency rate (between 60 to 120 Hz is acceptable)

If you'd prefer we can also modify your current switch instead for $10 plus shipping. Please contact us to confirm compatibly and shipment of your switch."

I just bought one for my Jetta but I haven't installed it yet.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
They were Euro spec through ECS, Estimated ship time was March, and I put the order in January. Really bums me out because I was really looking forward to them.
So you could order them via the link http://tinyurl.com/yb9byt9q and have them in 2 - 4 weeks and for less than ECS was asking.
Edit: Oh, IIRC, I didn't have to pay any customs when I ordered my UK version back in 2012. I paid $211.37 forming delivered to Oroville, California.
Edit 2: Just checked and U.S. customs duties are not collected on items less than $800.00 value

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you could order them via the link http://tinyurl.com/yb9byt9q and have them in 2 - 4 weeks and for less than ECS was asking.
Edit: Oh, IIRC, I didn't have to pay any customs when I ordered my UK version back in 2012. I paid $211.37 forming delivered to Oroville, California.
Edit 2: Just checked and U.S. customs duties are not collected on items less than $800.00 value
Ohhh snap, I know what I'm ordering now, thank you!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I had toyed with idea of using those lug adapters that are 5x100 to 5x112. Asked on forum if anyone has run them, not many responses. So yesterday I went ahead and put them on the Jetta. I had bought a set of nice Lyon rims that have Bridgestone Ecopia 422's on with like new tread a couple years ago. Tightened the adapters to 100 ft/lbs, then the wheel nuts to 90 ft/lbs. My car doesn't seem to pull to right anymore and the ride is nice. The tires also do not stick outside of the wheelwell, they are even with it.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I had toyed with idea of using those lug adapters that are 5x100 to 5x112. Asked on forum if anyone has run them, not many responses. So yesterday I went ahead and put them on the Jetta. I had bought a set of nice Lyon rims that have Bridgestone Ecopia 422's on with like new tread a couple years ago. Tightened the adapters to 100 ft/lbs, then the wheel nuts to 90 ft/lbs. My car doesn't seem to pull to right anymore and the ride is nice. The tires also do not stick outside of the wheelwell, they are even with it.
Hopefully you applied some red loc-tite to the adapter threads, I would re-check those periodically too. Adapters/spacers tend to loosen up over time.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Took off the block off plate for EGR and could clearly see how there was an exhaust leak there. Cleaned off the exhaust manifold flange, plate and gasket, dabbed some high heat RTV and put back. Tested after an hour of RTV setting and voila! No more annoying exhaust noise!!!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Took off the block off plate for EGR and could clearly see how there was an exhaust leak there. Cleaned off the exhaust manifold flange, plate and gasket, dabbed some high heat RTV and put back. Tested after an hour of RTV setting and voila! No more annoying exhaust noise!!!

BakoTDI, do you own any motorcycles/are a part of a motorcycle forum? There's a guy that shares his screen name with you over on a MC forum (except not the TDI part). Was just wondering if it was a coincidence or not

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
BakoTDI, do you own any motorcycles/are a part of a motorcycle forum? There's a guy that shares his screen name with you over on a MC forum (except not the TDI part). Was just wondering if it was a coincidence or not

Oh wow nah. No motorcycles here haha
Just a coincidence [emoji38]

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The red one would work great for the rear foglight.
I was thinking about picking up a red set for the fogs/ 5th brake light but the white ones come through really red through the red plastic on the Golf. If you had Jetta GLI tails that have the clear for the fog I would think you'd have to have a red one. It would out power the running lights though would be my guess, they are not very bright.

So I got my dash cam (front and rear cameras) hooked up yesterday.
It's a really nice feature to have, I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of the settings and what I need to do to make it *mostly* hands off.

Our cigarette lighter down in the mid console is on constant power which is pretty rare for an older vehicle. This is nice in the sense that parking mode still works because you have power to the camera, but as well there is no auto shutoff with the key. There's settings to make it auto shut down when its idle for X minutes, but you have to ensure to stop the recording on the screen for it to start the time. Not a big deal.

I also made a pigtail that connects to the back of the bulb holder and plugs into the revers bulb "tang" that runs up to the trigger wire on the harness. As soon as I kick it in reverse it pops up on the screen and uses the rear camera as a backup camera. Although because of the design, in order to "record" in normal orientation, when it kicks the image to the screen, it's mirrored. That takes some getting used to. Because of how it's mounted though it really only does any good to see how close you are to objects behind you. But that's really all I use it for anyway, my mirrors get me everywhere else.

I ordered a camera that takes the place of one of your license plate lights, but I'm not sure yet if it's going to be compatible with the dash cam unit yet or not. I've been talking with tech support but the language barrier is really difficult when trying to talk tech, get pinout diagrams, etc.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I was thinking about picking up a red set for the fogs/ 5th brake light but the white ones come through really red through the red plastic on the Golf. If you had Jetta GLI tails that have the clear for the fog I would think you'd have to have a red one. It would out power the running lights though would be my guess, they are not very bright.
That doesn't make sense because everywhere I've read, you can't use clear(white) LEDs behind a red filter like you do with an incandescent bulb. The latter puts out incoherent/non-polarized light while LED emit coherent/polarized light. Red and amber colored light housings have filters to make the clear incandescent bulbs appear red/amber outside the housings; if the housings have clear lenses with no filters, the you have to use red or amber coated bulbs.

However, the filters don't work very well with clear/white LED light so the LED manufacturers say to use red/amber LEDs in housings with red/amber lenses to get the correct color out.

No, the rear fog light (there is only one on the driver's side) has a red housing and uses a clear incandescent bulb on my Jetta.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
That doesn't make sense because everywhere I've read, you can't use clear(white) LEDs behind a red filter like you do with an incandescent bulb. The latter puts out incoherent/non-polarized light while LED emit coherent/polarized light. Red and amber colored light housings have filters to make the clear incandescent bulbs appear red/amber outside the housings; if the housings have clear lenses with no filters, the you have to use red or amber coated bulbs.
However, the filters don't work very well with clear/white LED light so the LED manufacturers say to use red/amber LEDs in housings with red/amber lenses to get the correct color out.
No, the rear fog light (there is only one on the driver's side) has a red housing and uses a clear incandescent bulb on my Jetta.
I don't know the technical behind it, but the white LED's I have behind my red housing emit red when looked at behind the car. There's no difference in color between the halogen I'm using for the normal brake socket and the white LED I'm using for the 5th brake light mod (red housing). If you swapped the bulbs you couldn't tell the difference. I suppose maybe a trained eye could.

But I agree, if you have clear housings, you want to use the color applicable. Red for brake and almost all other bulbs, amber for turn, white for reverse.

Sorry if that image is large, I picked it from the webz

These are the Jetta GLI tails I was talking about...Isn't the "fog" lens clear and also one on each side? Or is there another secret tiny bulb somewhere?

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I had an odd one happen last night....after finishing up my dash cam stuff, my fob would not unlock the doors.

Trunk actuator and lock button worked as they should. But was getting no red LED on the fob.

Changed out the battery and all was good again. Weird that when the battery comes to the end of it's life a couple of functions work and one doesn't.

Afterwards I looked this up, seems to be a common thing when the battery goes, the unlock button bites first then the rest aren't too far behind.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I think all 'white LED's are not created equal. They vary greatly in emitted spectrum.