TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Last edited:

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
This stuff sheds dust too

It is supposed to repell all sorts of dirt, might be worth a shot. You could even try that rust-oleum "never wet" and nothing will stick!

Also found this product from armor all: http://www.armorall.com/products/wheel-protectant/?select=wheels
Found this product through my local club/forum....works very well shedding dust and helps shed ice and snow on the wheels during winter.
http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?26818-EXO-Gtechiq

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Moar info on install, and such?
Ok so this is a self contained coolant heater that runs from the fuel system and battery. http://www.espar.com/business-units/fuel-operated-heaters.html
It will heat the coolant and circulate it through the engine. It also will heat the interior and defrost the windshield.
This may be overkill if you are looking for easier starts in cold weather but instant heat in the cabin and the engine at operating temperatures when you start is the point.
My frost heater bit the bullet so I decided to step up. It is pricey (much more that a frost heater).
The install is with a universal kit. There is proper install kit that can be imported from Europe however this is even more money.
The install took about 6 hours. This was the first time for the installer and went relatively smoothly. The only glitch was a clearance issue with my DE fogs which are mounted in the bumper scoop. These are after market foglights.
I have the 7 day timer which allows for 3 different setups. I have it is set up to come on before I go to work and before when I leave work.
Right now I am tweaking the time I need it to run but it looks like 1/2 hour is plenty.
It shuts down when it reaches preset temps and will fire up when the temp drops to a preset temp.
It also shuts down when you start the car.
I had this installed at Arctic Traveller in Mississauga. http://www.atc.ca/mobilehvac-espar.php

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Hay Pee Wee

What model do you have and what did you spend?

The FrostHeater looks like a good unit. How long did it take for yours to quit working?

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Hay Pee Wee
What model do you have and what did you spend?
The FrostHeater looks like a good unit. How long did it take for yours to quit working?
I have the Hydronic Model 4. The cost is something that you would need to discuss with Arctic Traveller as it depends on how you configure it and the options you want.

The Frost Heater crapped out after 4 years.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
The Frostheater in Stinky Pete has been working great in western Canada since '05... but the province of Ontario uses chemicals on their roadways in winter to enhance poor driving skills that are very corrosive to everything automotive ;)

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
People will never learn to drive if they keep putting that car poison on the road.:(
Just plow it and put sand/cinders down.;)
Here we are in the year 2015 and clearing roads have not changed in 100 years!:confused:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
..... the province of Ontario uses chemicals on their roadways in winter to enhance poor driving skills that are very corrosive to everything automotive ;)
blueboy7 said:
People will never learn to drive if they keep putting that car poison on the road
I agree completely - Instead of salt, I propose spreading clear water on the roads in the winter :D. Driving skills will improve and people who don't know how to drive on anything but dry roads are more likely to stay home.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Yeah clamp off the hoses unclip the hose clamps pull the thing out, put new one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
20K mile service filters etc. Amsoil low saps oil going on almost 20K miles. Pulling oil sample and will switch to AMO 505 since dpf and crap is gone.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Cleaned my trunk rain tray or what you call it, had a good assortment of needles in there. Also wiped down the rubber and all the contact surfaces.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yanked my headliner to deal with a leaky sunroof. One of the drain hoses was partially disconnected. I found a way cleaner headliner plus some nicer sun visors at the wrecker, so installed all of that. Keep looking up and going WOAH. My old one wasn't bad but I found a super clean accident victim, looked to be one of the NICEST Mk3s I've seen (at least before it was crashed), apart from one or two little spots this headliner looks brand new.

Also found the cause of a rattle in my roof - there's a brace for the sunroof that looks like it originally had some epoxy or something between it and the roof but there's nothing there now. In an ironic twist I packed the space with chunks of foam that have been blowing out of my vents...

imperium

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Replaced failing driver door lock mechanism. YAY for a working driver door. Boo for the passenger door now failing. LOL....never a dull moment!!!

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I just did the same, didn't finish yet though. Stopped at the putting those two little plastic plugs back in that part of the Module that connects to the metal in the inner door. They are a PITA. Caught a bad cold and haven't gotten back to it yet.

Next on the list is to check the back of the ignition switch for any problems with the wires. Tracking down an odd power problem.

Also noticed that one of the ground wires on the small post under the battery (not the main ground, but the one closer to the fender) looks burnt/melted. I'm pondering replacing that whole wire, which would be a big PITA, or doing a splice which wouldn't be as good...although it may at least show if that wire was the source of my problems.

Oh, and also noticed that the hose off of the compressor side of the turbo looks like its no longer connected properly.

work work work :)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Skip those plastic plugs. They are just there as installation guides at the factory. The lock module will be supported by the door strike pin and electrical harness enough to guide it in place with your finger thru the hole in the door jamb. Once in place, thread the bolts and you'll be fine.

I just did the same, didn't finish yet though. Stopped at the putting those two little plastic plugs back in that part of the Module that connects to the metal in the inner door. They are a PITA. Caught a bad cold and haven't gotten back to it yet.

Next on the list is to check the back of the ignition switch for any problems with the wires. Tracking down an odd power problem.

Also noticed that one of the ground wires on the small post under the battery (not the main ground, but the one closer to the fender) looks burnt/melted. I'm pondering replacing that whole wire, which would be a big PITA, or doing a splice which wouldn't be as good...although it may at least show if that wire was the source of my problems.

Oh, and also noticed that the hose off of the compressor side of the turbo looks like its no longer connected properly.

work work work :)

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
just rolled 250,000 miles on the Golf. quarter million miles, and still runs (pretty) strong. some things are showing age, but still very solid!