What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son and I did the 200K service on his Golf. Oil change, new air, fuel, and cabin filters. He's losing a bit of coolant but I didn't see any evidence of a leak. Maybe it just burped it out for some reason. Car isn't wonderful but it gets the job done. Last oil change at 190K was in July, so he drives it some.

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus - Hers / 2010 Audi A3 Premium Plus - Boughtback
Glow Plugs and Glow plug harness replaced. Last week on the first cold night, she threw a code, luckily IDPARTS had the kit on sale, ordered her up and hopefully she is ready for the winter. Next week ill be due for oil, oil filter, and fuel filter.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Speaking of which (above), the glow plug harness (and two glow plugs) I replaced earlier had zero impact on my glow plug error code.

After more cursing (always a requisite step in the troubleshooting pathway), I re-read (for the 6th? 7th? time), Wingnut's Glow Plugs 101 v2.0, and noticed the little bit about the possible corrosion / electrical impedance on the 50A fuse on top of the battery.

Took a close look, saw some blackness, so snipped off the end, attached the ring terminal and cleared the code....SUCCESS!! :D
(I'd feel a lot more self-satisfied if I hadn't spent close to $100 and at least a couple hours attempting to "fix" something that required 10minutes and $.40 of hardware. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Filled up in PA with gas not containing ethanol. Be interesting if it changes my mileage on the 450 trip home tomorrow.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I woke up to find my ALH sitting in a pool of coolant. Unfortunately I don't have time to trouble-shoot this issue, so I'm crossing my fingers that my local mechanic finds a simple fix.

My one request to him: fill it back up with OEM G13 fluid.

As long as you found it before any of your pets!

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Gas? Ethanol? I'm not understanding these things you speak of. :D
I know it's completely out of style, sorry to bring it up. It has something to do with digesting corn I believe. You eat the corn and get some kind of terrible gas. Give me Syndiesel any day. I'm still holding out for a diesel Audi Quatro, although I did pass an A6 with TDI on the trunk lid the other morning. They're getting closer.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I wonder if VW/Audi did something crazy and listened to us to determine a marketing strategy. We'd have a Quattro TDI small car, maybe A3. Then we will have an A4 wagon, Quattro and fwd options (going way out on the dream wave here). The crazy dream of having a manual Audi is gone. But I happen to love my autoAudi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Who is that sootman guy? Drives a gasser.

Does he clean chimneys??

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Got bored of molesting my Golf, the summer car...

Moved on to it's younger sibling, the Jetta winter sled.. started poking and prodding it.. slapped a new VR6 clutch in it. The basis of all future molesting. Previous abuser slapped it with an 11mm. Might start to play head games with it's brain.. visit Dr Malone.
Get porky to move along a little quicker eheheh

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Tdi a3

I know it's completely out of style, sorry to bring it up. It has something to do with digesting corn I believe. You eat the corn and get some kind of terrible gas. Give me Syndiesel any day. I'm still holding out for a diesel Audi Quatro, although I did pass an A6 with TDI on the trunk lid the other morning. They're getting closer.
There is an A3 TDI 'option' here in southern Alberta (Canada) we also have the TDI Tiguan and the mighty V-10 diesel, it is not advertised though...? Plenty of TDI Passat...

Got brand new wiper blades with an oil change...Michelin..I know...but the Bosch wipers sucked!!

-M.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
The Michelin wiper blades are awesome. And can't beat the price of 'em at Costco.

Their winter floor mats are pretty tough too. My right heel hasn't gone through it in 3 season.

And I drive 120000km/year...

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
There is an A3 TDI 'option' here in southern Alberta (Canada) we also have the TDI Tiguan and the mighty V-10 diesel, it is not advertised though...? Plenty of TDI Passat...

Got brand new wiper blades with an oil change...Michelin..I know...but the Bosch wipers sucked!!

-M.
The A3 TDI is nice and widely available, but truthfully it is a nicer golf, as it lacks quattro.

On the other hand, the a6 tdi does come with quattro. One of my friends got to drive a loaner from the dealership this past weekend and nearly filled it with gas. :eek: She didn't, and said other than that, she said it was wonderful ride.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
The Michelin wiper blades are awesome. And can't beat the price of 'em at Costco.

Their winter floor mats are pretty tough too. My right heel hasn't gone through it in 3 season.

And I drive 120000km/year...

My right foot did go through my WeatherTechs after about 4 years. I couldn't find my receipt, but called them up, they found my order, asked I send them a couple of pics, which I did, and within an hour they had sent a new mat in the mail. Worth every penny in my eye.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked into those last year.. I'm pretty sure it was that brand, and the guy didn't have a listing for my Golf? Seeing as you have them, I guess I'm remembering wrong lol.

What are things worth? My problem is I heel-toe drive. As in I pivot on my heel all the time, and I bore holes through my mats. Took me 25000km to wear through my beetle floor mat, carpet to the bare metal lol. I duct taped up 3 layers of windshield washer containers, and that lasted 100000km, redid it after again.

Dirt cheap and no waiting for the mail ahahhah

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Who is that sootman guy? Drives a gasser.

Does he clean chimneys??
Funny you should mention chimneys, I now have 2 with wood stoves, guess I'll be climbing the roof next spring.

The A3 TDI is nice and widely available, but truthfully it is a nicer golf, as it lacks quattro.

"On the other hand, the a6 tdi does come with quattro. One of my friends got to drive a loaner from the dealership this past weekend and nearly filled it with gas. She didn't, and said other than that, she said it was wonderful ride".

Hmm an A6 TDI Quatro sounds nice but I'm more of an A3/A4 hatchback type.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
To me, even my Prius and Jetta Wagon are "big cars" (says the man who used to own a 63 Chevy Impala). Compared to them, my Miata is tiny! Even our 89 Jetta felt "big" after the 81 Jetta and 83 Rabbit Pickup

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Got a nice Thank You from the government of Ontario...
"Thank you for making a positive contribution to the quality of air by maintaining your vehicle and meeting vehicle emissions standards"
Blah, blah , blah.
In other words, paid $33.90 and passed my e-test (thankfully).

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Windshield washer level sensor died today on my 2 year old Sportwagen. Ordered from ECS because the part was $17 compared to IDParts price of $25. Both Genuine VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
Been chasing a slow crank Over the year. Last winter it would seem like it would hydro lock while cranking. Battery was 4 years old and tested a little on the weak side but anything would when it's sub zero. Replaced battery and it seemed a little better. After reading all the bad stories about the early pd ruff starts I figured I had a different issue than most people. It just cranked slow. Cleaned all connections. No difference. Replaced starter with a new nonrebuilt unit. Wow it's a new car... Wish I would have done that last winter...
Thanks idparts

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I'm afraid a starter is in my near future. Same symptoms. New TDI battery, grounds clean, cranks slow in the cold.
I would figure that the starter would go after a while, but after 13 years mine still starts on the first go. Nice, but as it gets on in age I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. ;)

I can really feel the engine grrr to life when started now with the new stiffer dogbone. :) And the clutch is a lot more jittery on starting from a stop....which I also assume has something to do with the new dogbone.

I know that the single mass flywheel is supposed to transmit more vibration, and I assume that is what this is. But I never really noticed it before the dogbone was replaced.

Doesn't really bother me that much, but it is a bit embarrassing when I have passengers. I'm now hunting for a new sweet spot, although I'm tempted to just drop it fast even though that will cause some whiplash. :D

Hmm...would replacing the other engine mounts help or make it more noticeable?

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
CC is a big car, too, in my world. So is the Passat, for that matter.
The Passat has a 112" wheelbase whereas my A3's is 115" You wouldn't know it by looking at the cars. Passat rides nicer but the A3 is stiffer and corners better I believe. I recently rode in a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. Rode nice but handled like a truck. That was BIG