What did you do to your car today?

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Towed it home

The Black Hole quit on me on the way home from work last night, so my father-in-law hooked it up to his 4x4 Chevy & pulled me home. It was less than 5 miles and we never got above 45, so I probably didn't hurt the tranny.

Anyway, the way it quit made me think of timing slipping, so I pulled the cover & sure enough, the belt was loose. The arm on the tensioner had slipped out of its hole in the cover somehow. Looking a little closer, it appears the arm is a bit bent.:mad: I'll be ordering a new one on Monday. The belt appears to be okay -- no obvious worn spots, teeth missing, etc., so I'll probably just replace the tensioner. I'm only about 45K since the belt change.:eek:

03bora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Awhile back, ctnatureboy (a.k.a. Mike) posted a YouTube link asking what was causing his belt tensioner to jump all around and someone stated to check the clutch on the alternator. Funny how I just totally forgot that one even existed. About a year a go I replaced my serpentine belt and figured since I had some mileage on my ride, I went ahead and replaced the belt tensioner. About 5-6 months later, the new tensioner failed. Right we're the hydronic piston is, completely broke the bracket. I did purchase a Gates tensioner and came with a lifetime warranty, so part replacement cost wasn't a big deal. Not know why the tensioner failed was kind of puzzling. Then ctnatureboy posting about the alternator clutch was good that I found it. I figured with 98k now on the car, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the alternator and the alternator clutch. After almost 3 hours, and a few choice words, the job was complete. If I had any idea it was going to be that much work, I would have just replaced the clutch instead of the whole thing. I would recommend anyone with any kind of mileage and this kind of alternator, to check it. It might save your tensioner or even losing a belt and calling for a flat bed.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Today I made my car a little more redneck by replacing the broken drivers door handle with a piece of rope:

I giggled every time I used it today (three times).

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Today I made my car a little more redneck by replacing the broken drivers door handle with a piece of rope:

Out of curiosity, why is your mirror switch in the "heat on" position? Won't this eventually burn out the heating elements?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Replaced the original antenna on the wagon, wife has been commenting that she can only pick up the two most local stations.

03bora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Today I wired in my for lights. I had changed out my headlamp assy's a while back with some real nice ones I had purchased from BleachedBora and they included fog lamps. My car didn't come stock with the fog lights. I had changed out the head light switch with a euro switch and ran some wire and a relay. Couldn't be happier with the final product.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Retrofitted in an RCD-510 from a 2012 GTI.

What's the difference between the 2012 RCD-510 that I installed and the 2010 RCD-510 that I already had?

Different colorations on the screen, On-screen phone capability (like the RNS-510 has), and HD radio.

wayne504

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Replaced my second set of monster mats with the custom fit mats from weathertech. I hope these out last the 2 sets of monsters I've replaced since '09.

thevwkid53

Veteran Member
TDI
DAS SOOT

Hey Paul,
I know you like that kind of stuff, but I have the handle you need sitting in the basement. Let me know if you want it. You should still have my number if not let me know.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep

I hope you used German rope to replace that... The Chinese knock off rope has fitment and quality issues. Does anyone have the Vw part # for Paul.. :p

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The bike rack I've been waiting for FINALLY showed up for me today! So I put it on my car and it gave me a great excuse to make a little vid of the OE trailer wiring in my car!

http://youtu.be/26acRhbSpKs?hd=1

What (I think) is really cool is that the rear fog gets passed through to the trailer wiring, so it no longer ignites on the car! You can see that at ~ 7 seconds!

The reverse lights work, I just haven't plugged in the PDC kill for the trailer wiring and the BEEEEEPPPPPPPP really annoys me so I didn't video it ;)

Here's what the trailer indicator looks like in a euro cluster too:

http://youtu.be/8OroFfaxuPs?hd=1

Ignore the condition of my cluster, my temp needle was "jerky" so I pulled the cover off to fix it and I haven't put the thing back together yet...

I know this stuff is factory in Europe, so isn't that exciting, but it is to me ;) :D

Last edited:

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
I finished the damn ESP swap! (Well, almost, the disable button isn't hooked up yet, but everything else works!)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
got a chip on the passangers side of the windshield, going to get it filled in tomorrow. 50K and first chip, not that bad (knock on wood)

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Bought another one (4th Jetta in 15 months, 3rd of the TDI variety) :D

Purchased it off the 2nd owner tonight, who only had it for about 18,000 miles before it just stopped running one day while driving down the road. It started back up and drive for another 500 ft before it crapped out again.

Gonna start digging into it this week, just unloaded it off the trailer an hour ago.

If I can get her up and running, I'm gonna give it to my dad. Its actually nicer than mine! Only has 187K on it and according to the window sticker, it has the following options

Luxury Package
Partial Leather Package
Monsoon Sound System

its a 5-speed, Atlantic Blue with Black & Beige interior. Ill get some pics tomorrow. :D

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I installed a new shifter linkage end.

I can find my gears without effort again.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Bought another one (4th Jetta in 15 months, 3rd of the TDI variety) :D

Purchased it off the 2nd owner tonight, who only had it for about 18,000 miles before it just stopped running one day while driving down the road. It started back up and drive for another 500 ft before it crapped out again.

Gonna start digging into it this week, just unloaded it off the trailer an hour ago.

If I can get her up and running, I'm gonna give it to my dad. Its actually nicer than mine! Only has 187K on it and according to the window sticker, it has the following options

Luxury Package
Partial Leather Package
Monsoon Sound System

its a 5-speed, Atlantic Blue with Black & Beige interior. Ill get some pics tomorrow. :D
Was that the one in Montclair NJ on Craigslist? It was funny! The diagnosis from the VW shop says it needs an in tank fuel pump. :)
Good luck!

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Was that the one in Montclair NJ on Craigslist? It was funny! The diagnosis from the VW shop says it needs an in tank fuel pump. :)
Good luck!
The same. And yes, I got a lot of humor from the diagnosis as well and I mentioned it to the seller as well. The car was at Douglas VW in Summit, NJ, based on their "findings" I would not allow them to change my tire, forget major mechanical work.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
After 3 years of ownership I've finally gotten the windows tinted. Rear windows, 20% Llumar ATC. No tint on front as its illegal here.

Pictures are from when I picked it up, not great and by the time I got home it was dark.

03bora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Today's project wasn't anything major. Within the last month or so, I had changed out the gear oil in the transmission and had used Mobil synthetic 75/90. I noticed immediately that the shifting wasn't as smooth. I just went with it for the time being....until last night reading up on our forums here and the mention of used RedLine MTL. So it was a drain and refill on my ride tonight. Noticed a immediate improvement. Just like it should be. In fact, I change the transmission gear oil in my co-works MK4 trans and it's much nicer too. I think I'm sold on RedLine and there products now.