What did you do to your car today?

Gregataustin

TDI
2000/2001 VW Jettas TDI
I drove from Austin To SA because the sealership in Georgetown markes up stuff, like $60 extra for a vacuum pump.

CSM Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta--SOLD
i got my timing belt, water pump, oil filter, serpentine belt and temp sensor replaced as well as ordered a new Bilstein suspension set and new tires.

thought i'd share real quick. I finally figured out the cause of my poor milage and poor performance in my '02 auto jetta tdi. the temp sensor was faulty and was telling the computer that the engine was cold so it was always running rich which explained the poor milage and performance. Thanks to Brad at the digital chassis in durham everything listed above was fixed and the car runs great now!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Just installed my European LED tails.

Bought them about a week ago and got them custom smoked. Got them back tonight, borrowed a wire terminal removal tool from a tech, and did the swap.

Looks great. I think maybe they are a little too dark, but it is also dark outside right now. Tomorrow will be better for me to test the lights and see if they are still plenty visible.

Ohh yeah. I just bought my car for month #2. LOL. (AKA I just made my first payment).

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
Installed a new 17/22 new cam and lifters into the golf. Should have it running in the morning. Dont know why I let it sit so long. I am ordering a sbc stage 3 240mm clutch for it. I wont drive it long with the spec clutch. The spec clutch still works great but is noisy as hell and stiff. After driving my jetta for 30k with the sbc stage 3 I got to put one in the golf.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Losha said:
Went to friends house tonight after it rained whole day and ended up getting stuck by his house. While trying to take usual short cut thru field instead of driving around. When was making right turn car ended up understeering and slid into soy field where it was very muddy & soft dirt. I couldn't get out on my own so had to have Kevin pull me out with four wheeler. It was quite fun experience off roading on my tdi, too bad my tires are not good for it, otherwise could have got out on my own probably.

Here are some pics I took on way back home on parking lot. Spent like half hour washing of sticky mud and still didn't get all off of the suspension, axles, & inside of wheels.
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/losha64/?action=view&current=0903092220.jpg&newest=1
Welcome to my world. :p :cool:

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
New plate sticker was overdue. Totally forgot on my bday. Also was unpleasantly surprised that I needed a "drive clean" cert. So I dropped my "clean" tune in a la Q-Loader. Took it in. Passed with flying colours and then dropped my power tune back in before leaving the parking lot. Dropped some soot in the open bay door on my way out. <grin>

Also picked up a couple of new plate covers as they were getting a little hard to see through.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
I replaced the pump head seal on my injection pump which started leaking at about 57,000 miles. Probably should have taken 2 hours, but I had to keep running inside to find duct tape, vaseline, sewing needles, paper clips etc so it took the better part of a day. My wife was starting to wonder what the heck I was up to. I used dieselgeeks kit. It went very smoothly except the head got a bit hung up on the custom 55mm tool that Jim supplies with the kit so instead I used the regular torx bolts to back the head off being real careful to not go too far. I really didn't want to remove the whole IP.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Drilled and tapped my race pipe to put my w/m nozzle further away from the intake manifold. I was skeptical about tapping as I have fubar'd aluminum by tapping in the past. This time I got a nice drill bit and new tap, practiced on a spare chunk, and everything turned out perfectly! About time I learned LOL.

Also secured my Devil's Own w/m controller to the side of my dash right next to the cluster with some 3M trim tape. That stuff is strong. I feel like I could hang a 25 lb weight off my controller without it falling off the dash!

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
got my golf to come to life again after sitting since I got the jetta. I still cant drive it but put it on the trailer and brought it home from the shop.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
prep'd and painted lower side panel from wheel to wheel rt side.
here's how I did it:
a)sanded rust areas 60 grit on power sander
b)treated with rust stripper
c)clean w/ distilled water
d)spot putty /sand
e)wet sand 400 Grit rinse
f)3 coats primer /wet sand in between
g) spray two med. coats "acrylic enamel "within 5 minutes
Rec. using distilled water for rinses and getting some auto masking tape
and an air compressor for air blowing is useful.
NAPA did a good job of mixing the coded paint for my car(#is on the door panel) my color happened to be Black Magic Pearl metalic.
Its not professional work but it will fool the eye from close up.
A clear coat is not recommended for the Acrylic Enamel unless it is aged-then maybe. GL
some pics...http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=344711026/a=370771026_370771026/

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
aja8888 said:
Looks good. I didn't know you could still buy acrylic enamel auto paint anymore.
The guy at Napa recommended it for my situation instead of a base coat/sealer coat. As far as I know its a one stage acrylic enamel that they mixed and put in a spray can according to my paint code of LC97 (black magic metalic) it sprayed on beautiful and temp/humidity were good today. I thought it turned out pretty good for an ametuer.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Very nice line up indeed..... but what's that thing in the middle of the driveway?

IndigoBlueWagon said:
This isn't really what I did to my car, but my kids are home for the weekend (dog, too). And when I came home last night I said to myself, "nice lineup."

The A2 is a gasser. And my black A3 is missing. But still a decent array.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Found a good spot in the town next over (30 ish miles) to get some good B20 at. It's the closest bio around and I like to keep the injector tips well lubed :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
BolaB4V said:
The guy at Napa recommended it for my situation instead of a base coat/sealer coat. As far as I know its a one stage acrylic enamel that they mixed and put in a spray can according to my paint code of LC97 (black magic metalic) it sprayed on beautiful and temp/humidity were good today. I thought it turned out pretty good for an ametuer.
Nice job.;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's Parker, my Tibetan Terrier.

Today (yesterday and today, but I just got home) I drove down to the Fest. Left at 4:15 Sun. AM, got there before Noon. Jetter-Sprinta entered me in the show-and-shine so I cleaned up the Passat (a little). Got to visit with a bunch of folks for too little time, and drove home. 1010 miles, no fueling stops. I have about 4 gallons left, not bad since I saw 80 MPH most of the way down, 75 on the way back, A/C on about 1/3 of the trip.

Remarkably, this was the first long-ish drive I've made in the Passat since bringing it home from NoLa 3 years ago. If I'm going to use it for many trips I want to make some changes. I have to check and see if I have gas-pressurized struts, and if so I may swap them out for Koni Reds to smooth the ride a bit. And it needs either larger diameter tires (speedo is about 4 MPH fast) or a taller 5th, or both. This car gets a bit loud over 2500 RPM, although it does smooth out at 3000 (85 MPH). This car was driven mostly on short trips its entire life and I think it may need more exercise to smooth out. I started doing my DBW break in procedure of running it to redline in 2nd and 3rd coming out of toll booths. I think it liked it.

I'd also like to add some sound deadening. I'm thinking better carpet in the cargo area and some strategically placed dynamat would go a long way.

But the seats are great, driving position excellent, smoothest shifting transmission on any TDI I own, and you gotta love that range. And space.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I just filled the Passat, 1015.1 miles, 22.6 gallons. 44.9 MPG. That was driving between 70-80, some traffic, some A/C. I'm impressed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It still had 5 gallons left. Not in reserve when I filled it. I could have easily gone another 200 miles.

uncah91

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
Installed my Audi S3 shifter, tdiclub.com window decal, tdiclub "It's a Diesel" license frame and threw my keys on my tdiclub keychain.

It was more like "Logo Day" than "Labor Day" :)