What did you do to your car today?

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I'd love to see your car with the 20th anniversary front lip, skirts, and matched rear lip.

Actually, if you can find a 337, the parts are already silver... do it!
Sure, you buying?! Lol. It would look nice but not worth the investment. Doesn't add any performance, and there is no VW scene here for anyone to even notice that

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Sure, you buying?! Lol. It would look nice but not worth the investment. Doesn't add any performance, and there is no VW scene here for anyone to even notice that
Well, if you do it before Labor Day weekend, I hear there will be a LARGE VW scene around Bethel then. ;)

qmark

Veteran Member
TDI
03 VW Golf
I would if I could figure out how to post a stupid pic. why is there not a simple attachment here...??? plenty of stupid icons

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Installed the 35mm stubby AM/FM antenna mast; as expected the reception on FM is poor, though it is better than with just the screw. Since I don't listen to AM/FM, I'll just go with the screw and a 7/32" vacuum port cap covering the screw.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
The 05 PD jetta got the CCV filter mod, advanced timing to 1.5*btdc from 4*(means TB is about 50%), EGR vcds adaptation, considered a Colt or Titan Stage II cam package but decided on switching to LiquiMoly HighTech Diesel 5w40 505.01 from the Castrol edge TD 5w40 505.01

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Replaced a/suction line.
Wished I could get rid of my glow plug codes, and had my ESP light come on. Err.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Replaced a/suction line.
Wished I could get rid of my glow plug codes, and had my ESP light come on. Err.
Weird, I just reflashed after doing a couple mods, and my glow plug light is flashing, and I have a MIL. After reading with the VAG-COM, the only code that comes up is the EGR, and I've not had an EGR code for two years, and I deleted my EGR at the same time. Strange.

-M.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Weird, I just reflashed after doing a couple mods, and my glow plug light is flashing, and I have a MIL. After reading with the VAG-COM, the only code that comes up is the EGR, and I've not had an EGR code for two years, and I deleted my EGR at the same time. Strange.
-M.
Chances are my glow plug code is swap related, I forget the exact code, but something along the lines of improbable voltage on terminal 30, I've had it since the swap and I could have improper wiring, OR a cooked module from me plugging the wipers in where the glow plug should be.

Now the ESP light I have no clue at all about.
I didn't have it post swap, and had no issues prior.

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
I was worried when the announced the fact the new Passat was going to be built for the American market that some of Fahrvergnügen would be lost. I have driven a lot of really expensive cars in my life and found faults with many of them little things that would drive me nuts. I respect and appreciate your attention to detail. Good luck with the sale.. That being said the Passat is still miles ahead of a Japanese Car or Domestic but to bring the car down to that level to compete...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Saw this and saw your thread on the issues you have with the new Passat: I originally didn't read that thread because I don't own one. But I have had the same problem finding a replacement for my wagon. So far I've bought an A3, a B4V, an A5, and now a MKVI Golf, and I don't like any of them as much as IBW. The B4 sedan I have now is probably closest to a replacement, but it's older and has nearly as many miles.

A number of things you list about the Passat apply to the MKVI Golf as well. The door thing doesn't bother me because I rarely lock the car, but the missing odo when the cruise on is silly. The Golf has a great driving position, but the seats are harder and flatter than the Recaros in the wagon, and not as comfortable on long drives. And power delivery is pretty good despite running out of breath at 4000 RPM, it's just no modified ALH. And I much prefer the shifter in the A4: hell, I prefer the B4 one too.

But the big thing for me is the worry about the emissions system. I now have a 5 mile commute, and the Golf really isn't suited to it. That's in part why I got the B4. Low FE in cold weather, frequent active regens...I probably worry about it too much, but I know EGR filters, DPFs, and turbos in these cars can fail when not driven properly.

Sorry for the rant here, but I didn't want to pollute your for sale thread and since my post isn't about a Passat it didn't seem right to put it there.

I want to see the '15 Golf when it comes out, and also want to see how the Jetta sedan performs when it gets the new generation TDI later next year. Maybe one of those will work out. Or a next gen Audi A3. I've driven a couple of Passats and although they seem OK, I'd probably look at a Mazda 6 first.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I was worried when the announced the fact the new Passat was going to be built for the American market that some of Fahrvergnügen would be lost. I have driven a lot of really expensive cars in my life and found faults with many of them little things that would drive me nuts. I respect and appreciate your attention to detail. Good luck with the sale.. That being said the Passat is still miles ahead of a Japanese Car or Domestic but to bring the car down to that level to compete...
Yes - losing some of the Fahrvergnügen is a good way to say it.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
Saw this and saw your thread on the issues you have with the new Passat: I originally didn't read that thread because I don't own one. But I have had the same problem finding a replacement for my wagon. So far I've bought an A3, a B4V, an A5, and now a MKVI Golf, and I don't like any of them as much as IBW. The B4 sedan I have now is probably closest to a replacement, but it's older and has nearly as many miles.

A number of things you list about the Passat apply to the MKVI Golf as well. The door thing doesn't bother me because I rarely lock the car, but the missing odo when the cruise on is silly. The Golf has a great driving position, but the seats are harder and flatter than the Recaros in the wagon, and not as comfortable on long drives. And power delivery is pretty good despite running out of breath at 4000 RPM, it's just no modified ALH. And I much prefer the shifter in the A4: hell, I prefer the B4 one too.

But the big thing for me is the worry about the emissions system. I now have a 5 mile commute, and the Golf really isn't suited to it. That's in part why I got the B4. Low FE in cold weather, frequent active regens...I probably worry about it too much, but I know EGR filters, DPFs, and turbos in these cars can fail when not driven properly.

Sorry for the rant here, but I didn't want to pollute your for sale thread and since my post isn't about a Passat it didn't seem right to put it there.

I want to see the '15 Golf when it comes out, and also want to see how the Jetta sedan performs when it gets the new generation TDI later next year. Maybe one of those will work out. Or a next gen Audi A3. I've driven a couple of Passats and although they seem OK, I'd probably look at a Mazda 6 first.
I have much more confidence in the Passat emissions system than I do in the the Golf/Jetta/Beetle systems. I think allowing higher combustion temperatures/pressures (and therefore NOx) then cleaning it up with urea is a much better solution than trying to prevent the emissions in the combustion chamber with so much EGR and retarded injection timing.

I think there are some federal safety standards with the headrests that are becoming an issue (for me) in all newer cars. I test drove a 2014 Mazda 6 (Gas - diesel not available until next year, maybe) and very quickly had a lot of the same issues that I had with the Passat (seats, headrest, rearview mirror, armrest, etc) an on top of that it was surprisingly underpowered. Either my Jetta or Passat would wipe the floor with the 6 without downshifting (and the 6 downshifted twice!)

I feel like the Bellamy Brothers song "He's an old hippie and he don't know what to do, should he hang on to the old, should he grab on to the new" :eek:
I'm not all that old (or a hippie), but wanting to take advantage of the significant improvements in diesel engine technology over the last 10 years, but unfortunately it's wrapped in a package I'm not willing to accept.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, how about swapping newer engines into older cars, or older seats, etc., into the newer cars? The former would be more expensive than the latter, however.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have a BKD engine (Pumpe Deuse, crossflow head, 16 valve) sitting in my garage. I keep threatening to put it in IBW. But it's hard to part with the rotary pump setup.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Spent 9 hours washing, clayin and waxin her and doing the interior....also cut down the shifter 2 inches, installed usp led plate lights and blacked out the window trim

Amazing quality and brightness and no blue hue

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those aren't marker lights, but license plate lights; I agree with you on the brightness though. For license plate lights, you should go dimmer, not brighter.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Yesterday, actually, put new front brakes on the Golf. Brembro rotors and Akebono Euroceramic pads.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
New Rear rotors since I found out my "new" ones were warped.

EBC Sport slotted 286mm rear rotors
Hawk HPS Pads front/rear.

Combined with the Tyrolsport caliper stiffening bushings, brake response is very firm and very strong.