What did you do to your car today?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
^^^^^^^^^^
I like it, way better than boring stock, how did you get al the soft touch off?

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you, I've already painted the HVAC control bezel and plan on doing the cup holder trap door. It's almost the reverse of what a 20th edition or GLI aluminum trim look. I'll be sure to post the finished product.

Nail polish remover, green scotch brite pad and elbow grease was how I got it ready for paint.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Used oil on the left, new oil on the right.

I am still waiting to hear back from the lab to seal the deal on the fuel/Seafoam testing...
What are you testing for? What will a test of new oil reveal?
I use Seafoam often on both gassers and diesels as an added aspirant to clean intake track but haven't a clue what you may be looking for. Definetly piqued my curiosity.

gth

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta w/01M, 03 Wagon w/02J
Denatured alcohol and a coarse cloth (cheesecloth) works well. It'll leave a thin white film that can be removed with soapy water & rubbing or a bit of cleaner wax. The pieces I could easily remove were stripped using very hot water, soap, and a nylon brush. You can then de-gloss your now soft-touch free interior pieces with rubbing compound if you'd like. A green pad will scratch the plastic.

It's a well worth it PITA.

^^^^^^^^^^

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What are you testing for? What will a test of new oil reveal?
I use Seafoam often on both gassers and diesels as an added aspirant to clean intake track but haven't a clue what you may be looking for. Definetly piqued my curiosity.
For the oil, normal used/virgin oil analysis: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php

The Seafoam I'm having tested to see if it increases lubricity as claimed.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Wash and a quick wax!

Finally had a warm dry evening so I wash my TDI. Just used the quick detailing wax, but it will help until I can get into it with the buffer. My poor 2000 is starting to show it's age with chips and wear on the paint. I'm going to attempt a fix this summer on the car with some de-oxidizing polish. Years of sun and winter have taken it's toll. :(

meducky

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2013 Passat
installed my power wires for my amps today.
quite pleased that none of the wires will be showing.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Not today, and not specifically work done on my car, but Saturday I finally got to my storage lockers to organize them. I have 2 5 x 10' storage lockers full of car sh!te... Man it is bad. Expect a for sale thread soon ;)

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Well, spent the weekend installing the PP520 nozzles on balanced injectors I got from KermaTDI last week. Everything went great, even had to call a TDI bud to find out if I did something wrong because it's faster than expected.

IQ seems right, Injection Timing right (slightly retarded actually, didn't have time to correct), I think maybe I was just further down from stock power than I figured. Just freaked out I didn't really have to adjust anything after changing injectors/nozzles.

Got my UOA report back from Blackstone, everything looks good except the lead came in at 7ppm, so some worries about bearing wear in there...or maybe a particle streak. Other then that, not a bad report for a car I bought 1200mi away.

Now to solve the pesky EGR check engine light. (This was a pre-existing problem.)

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
A buddy of mine that reads this post said I left the best part out of my Saturday night "what I did to my car" post.

After the nozzle job, I had to do a bit of fuel system priming. A few cycles of cracking fuel lines, cranking, and checking if rags were wet, the ALH on the PP520s rumbled back into life. Well, I'd noticed since all the cranking it was turning over a bit slower than usual so I let it idle and charge while I picked up tools and what not then shut it off.

Another bud of mine and I went to grab some dinner, made one stop on the way, then to the restaurant. Well, after a nice dinner we came out, hopped in the Golf, turned the key and *clack* followed by complete loss of electrical power. Turned key off, back on, same thing. Called Step-Dad, he brought out the truck and we tried to jump it with the same result. Called Wal-Mart, asked the <sarcasam>exuberant</sarcasam> employee, "What time do you close?" ... "We don't close, sir."

Music to my ears.

I'm sure you can write the happy ending to this story, but there's one thing that I learned from this:

Everyone knows what kind of day you're having when you're pushing a basket through Wal-Mart at a quarter to midnight carrying only a car battery.

The new EverStart MAXX 94R starts the car like a champ. I guess 9 years is all you can expect out of an OEM battery that came from the IN & MI area, eh?

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dropped my Jetta off to have the headliner replaced by Ed Schmidt VW in Perrysburg, OH. I dropped it off at 7:30am. Was told it would be done in about half a day and I should have it back tonight. Left in my loaner gasser. On my way to pick it up, I decide to call. 4pm. It's not even half way done and I get a "Tough Luck" story and "The other guy couldn't get his car either." I don't care about the other guy. I care that you lied and didn't care about it.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Vacuumed the interior out REALLY good. Why you ask? Well, I was working on my amp rack in the rear hatch and decided I didn't want to spend the time to remove all the tight fitting wires. I needed to run the router across some MDF real quick and figured it'd be alright to do in the car. Lesson learned!

**NEVER EVER EVAR ROUTER WOOD (MDF) INSIDE YOUR CAR** Especially when you have all the panels removed to apply Dynamat so the sawdust can settle into every imaginable nook and cranny.

At least the inside of my car is clean lol.

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
Dropped my Jetta off to have the headliner replaced by Ed Schmidt VW in Perrysburg, OH. I dropped it off at 7:30am. Was told it would be done in about half a day and I should have it back tonight. Left in my loaner gasser. On my way to pick it up, I decide to call. 4pm. It's not even half way done and I get a "Tough Luck" story and "The other guy couldn't get his car either." I don't care about the other guy. I care that you lied and didn't care about it.
With the economy being so bad I just don't get how people can be so bad at customer service, they could be laid off if everybody just stopped going to service dept and called general manager to inform them why your not coming back. I have friends in sales and they are worried their compnay will lay them off so they certainly don't want customer not coming back or being mad, its not being nice, its self preservation.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Vacuumed the interior out REALLY good. Why you ask? Well, I was working on my amp rack in the rear hatch and decided I didn't want to spend the time to remove all the tight fitting wires. I needed to run the router across some MDF real quick and figured it'd be alright to do in the car. Lesson learned!

**NEVER EVER EVAR ROUTER WOOD (MDF) INSIDE YOUR CAR** Especially when you have all the panels removed to apply Dynamat so the sawdust can settle into every imaginable nook and cranny.

At least the inside of my car is clean lol.
DUH!!!! :p

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

FWIW, my wife stopped asking me for time estimates and I quit giving them as it seems to always take alot longer then I think it will. It is the nature of the beast and why people who do it well for a living are in high demand. Please note, I am not inferring that that dealership does anything well.

Btw, Rookie mistake on the truck loaner by the dealership. I wouldn't be complaining if I were you, it sounds like orange cone road hunting/smashing season :D.

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
Glow Plugs Recall

Dropped my car early morning at VW dealership for a glow plug recall, (6am) left my keys in the drop box, and just 6.46pm picked it up (After work)

Nice...

Next Timing Belt change... this coming Saturday.. 14.May.2011

Last edited:

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
FWIW, my wife stopped asking me for time estimates and I quit giving them as it seems to always take alot longer then I think it will. It is the nature of the beast and why people who do it well for a living are in high demand. Please note, I am not inferring that that dealership does anything well.

Btw, Rookie mistake on the truck loaner by the dealership. I wouldn't be complaining if I were you, it sounds like orange cone road hunting/smashing season :D.

Truck loaner??? I've got a 2011 Jetta 2.5 SE as a loaner. Not a gas hog by far...but not my TDI either. Gotta put more gas in it tomorrow. Got a call this morning. There is a wiring harness that was torn. They had to order it. Should be in in the morning.

So, with luck, I'll have my baby back tomorrow.

I got a call from the HR Manager. She apologized for their behavior and told me she would take care of it. She had a meeting with them today about it and she said they were extremely apologetic about the incident. They offered me a free oil change...with 5w-40 oil...and I'll take it. That's 2 free ones so far. I'll just watch them like a hawk.

DUCK Season...WABBIT Season...DUCK Season...DUCK Season...Wabbit Season...If you say so!!! One of my favorite episodes. :D

Grauwulf

TDI
99.5 MkIV Jetta
Fixed my non-working driver's power window. Found a broken and corroded power wire in the door jamb part of the harness. Broke my hood release handle and the plastic piece where you rest your foot, but a quick trip to the junkyard scored me those pieces and a complete center console and armrest from an 03 Jetta to replace all my busted stuff, *and* an intact glove box. All that stuff will get installed tomorrow hopefully.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Put new tires on my Golf. went bigger with the 205/65/15s. definitely a different tire form the 195s. hoping my mpgs dont take too big of a hit(tuning already did that). Sumitomo 205s. quite so far. we shall see. I hope I chose wisely...

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
-Changed the gear oil to Lubromoly 75w90

-Adjusted my stop screw

-Retightened my downpipe, as I was driving with 1 nut left. :rolleyes: Come on loctite, work this time, I hate that bottom nut!