What did I do wrong? Clutch disengagement problem

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
I just changed my clutch out with a SBC stage 3. I've done this job before with a different clutch, and everything seemed to go smoothly enough (although I had a rougher time getting the transmission back in place than I remember last time). Anyway, first thing I noticed was that the clutch pedal went to the floor unusually easily. Then when I cranked the engine I felt a disturbing vibration in the clutch pedal as though something was grinding against it, as the engine turned. I did not allow the engine to start.

First thing I checked was the slave cylinder. It seemed fine. I had reinstalled it correctly, and seated properly against the ball seat of the clutch fork lever. Their were no visible leaks, the boot was in good shape, and the piston pushed in with the usual amount of resistance. I reached in and felt the clutch fork lever (ball seat). I wasn't able to push on it much, as I'd expect, although it did have about 1/2" of play (is this normal?)

Next I put the car back up and undid everything again :mad:. I separated the transmission from the engine enough to get a look at the clutch fork, figuring that I'd see something wrong. Everything appears normal to me. The clutch fork pivot point is properly attached with the spring clip in place. The throwout bearing (which is the one I got with the new clutch) is over the transmission input shaft and attached to the clutch fork. I haven't got the transmission out far enough to inspect the pressure plate, but at this point I highly doubt I did anything wrong on that side.

I read in the manual that there is a bolt you are supposed to put in place against the clutch fork before reinstalling the tranny. I have never done this. What does this provide, and could this be related to my problem this time?

Any suggestions or perspectives would help. Thanks...

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Sometimes you have to pump the pedal a few times to get it to firm up. Also, a common thing is that you may have bent the aluminum spacer/seal that goes between the tranny and block. Happens a lot and it may be rubbing on the flywheel on back. Bend it straight and you should be fine...I think you may not have had a problem, but good to look.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
You may have gotten a pressure plate for a dual mass flywheel instead of a single mass flywheel.

I just went through this and it blew the slave cylinder, bent the transmission input shaft seal, broke the new throwout bearing and put a gouge in the lever because the rivets on the pressure plate were about 1/8" too tall. The entire pressure plate was also about 3/16" thicker overall as well. I didn't know any of this was wrong because it looked like the others I had done. I ordered one for comparison from TDIParts, and that's when the differences became apparent.

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
meganuke said:
You may have gotten a pressure plate for a dual mass flywheel instead of a single mass flywheel.

I just went through this and it blew the slave cylinder, bent the transmission input shaft seal, broke the new throwout bearing and put a gouge in the lever because the rivets on the pressure plate were about 1/8" too tall. The entire pressure plate was also about 3/16" thicker overall as well. I didn't know any of this was wrong because it looked like the others I had done. I ordered one for comparison from TDIParts, and that's when the differences became apparent.
Interesting. Very consistent with the sensation I experienced in the clutch pedal. I'll do some research, but at this point I am thinking that I may have the wrong pressure plate for my flywheel. Incidentally, it is the Valeo G60 SMF. I had heard from someone that there are no SBC clutches that are compatible with this flywheel, but I was assured by this particular vendor that this one should work.

veget8

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
After viewing the above post, I double checked the box the clutch came in.

Part # I ordered from vendor: K70038 0FE (Should be Stage 3 Clutch for single mass flywheel)

Part # on box I received from vendor: K70316 0FE

ARGH.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Holy crap!!!

At least the vendor of the clutch kit should make things right though the downtime, labor and frustration sucks...

I have a SBC Stage 3 clutch kit for SMF coming in and am hoping that I won't run into any problems with my Dieselgeek flywheel...

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I know Peter at TDIParts knows the differences between them and I have installed a few from him on Valeo flywheels with no problem.