what are your results with amsoil bypass filters?

cnc-tdi

What results are tdi people having with the amsoil bypass filter system? I have 60k on my car and serious about putting one on. I want to know
1--how long before filter change(reg. & bypass)
2--how long with oil (if ever)
3--what have oil tests shown after x miles
4--where u mounted the filter and return and if u would change anything about it.
I plan to run amsoil 3000 series and kept the car for a long while. I do about 25-30,000 km
per year.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I use an Amsoil dual-remote setup. I like it pretty well, but have no proof it is doing me any good, outside of what you can find by reading Amsoil ads and such. Mostly for peace of mind; I intend to have this car a long time.

I put it on at 88k miles when I got the car. I am changing the full-flow at the normal recommended intervals, 10k miles, and the bypass element (BK90, I think) at 20k. I just did my first change of that and noticed just before the change that the bypass was pretty warm so it was still doing its job. Apparently, when these things plug, little oil goes through them so they stay cool. I am at the moment using Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W40 but will probably change to Amsoil when my case runs out; I change it at 10k intervals as well.

If you want to look at my oil analyses search for the thread with the phrase "oil analysis fans". I am about to add another analysis to it as soon as it comes back from the lab.

I installed the unit this way. Removed the windshield washer reservoir and installed a vertical plate there, attaching it to the shock tower (I have a B4 Passat) and down below to the frame rail. Move the coolant reservoir back and attach it to the plate. Now there is room for the dual remote unit which is mounted to the front of the plate, in a vertical orientation. The hoses run down to the adapter plate as you'd expect. I have hooked up a 1-litre bottle to the windshield washer pump with a hose; it sits next to the battery.

If doing this again I would not use a dual remote, because it was a HELL of a job getting the hoses properly connected to the adapter plate. It really requires removing the radiator although I somehow managed without doing that, I don't know how. The single unit is much smaller and gives you more mounting options. I would route the return to the valve cover, not down below to the pan (that gives me the willies).

Some here complain about the amsoil filter cost compared to the toilet paper jobs but I think that is silly. Think of how much fuel for 20,000 miles costs in comparison. Think of the cost of tires or other consumables, or insurance. The filter costs nothing, in comparison.

Paul
97 Passat TDI wagon

Gary S

Veteran Member
I use the BE-90 bypass and change the whole thing at 10,000 miles have never had it analized but am confident that it has to be the best thing I can do. I CONSIDEER IT CHEAP INSURANCE for my baby. The Amsoil oil and filter is expensive but it is not that bad when you do it yourself and again I feel that it should help the engine last as long as possible.

my 2 cents worth

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
cnc-tdi:

My personal experience has shown that Amsoil bypass filters perform the following:

* Lower the amount of wear metals by one-half or more

* Excel in removing contaminants such as soot or condensation

* Capacity of filter enables longer intervals and requires less make-up oil than other brands

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Originally posted by Turbo Steve:
My personal experience has shown that Amsoil bypass filters perform the following:

* Capacity of filter enables longer intervals and requires less make-up oil than other brands
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Steve,

What other brands of bypass filters have you used?