what are the power increase steps on these motors

Cleaner13

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Im getting my first TDI jetta this weekend and althought I am familiar with diesel motors (2 dodge rams cummins etc..) Im not as familiar with these engines

The car Im picking up is a 5 speed and is completely up to date on all maintenance, 1 owner car and (he has every receipt for everything ever done)

Im looking to see what the steps are into increasing performance on the car and was wondering if there are any certain combinations to net a certain power range etc...

What also can the stock bottom end hold reliably?

thanks alot guys I appreciate all the help

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
There was a thread about this very thing.... Do a search, it might even be on the main 'Power Enhancements' page.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
What kind of power are you looking for? The common tuning/nozzle/turbo combination should do the trick, but obviously you need the right stuff for the job, whatever that may be.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Just under 200hp is about the boundary, without head and bottom end work. Nozzles, turbo, uprated intercooler, exhaust, tune. Welcome to the club.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
With diesels, it's pretty easy...

a) Keep adding fuel until you need more air
b) Add more air when you max out your fuel
c) Back to rule a)

At some point, things like the clutch must be upgraded. Usually people start w/ECU Tuning (ie chip) and injector nozzles. With a clutch, nozzle and turbo upgrade, you can double the HP/TQ without too much trouble. Welcome to TDI's and do a bunch of reading here. The more you read, the more you want... :D

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
In addition, I've heard that older tdi gettahs break axles when you push them, so you might want to look into something stronger

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
^^I think a VR6 axle swap is a common upgrade/fix for that.

OP, search is your friend! People post almost every day asking the same thing...there are tons of threads covering popular tuners and upgrades.

Cleaner13

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
when you say the older jettas what is the year cut off and wouldnt the axles be the same for jettas, golfs, passat etc..?