What additives should I use?

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I currently add Stanadyne to my tank with each fill up and I was wondering what other additive(s) should I add? A centane booster of some sort? What about DieselKleen or something like that? What do you all suggest?

ChugBug

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Be careful what you ask for on this forum.

You might get more of an answer than you ever expected.

FWIW, I just started using Power Service Diesel Kleen when I run less than B100.

VinDezel

Im having great luck with Redline RL-3, its nearly the same as their 85+ but in a more economical gallon jug. Its expensive at about $25 a gallon, but to me its worth it, if it gives me 1-3mpg boost and definately for its lubrication package. I also use Redline 2cycle ashless oil at a mix of 1 oz per gallon for its lubrication of my pump. I have used Powerservice and Standadyne, I couldnt tell any difference at all with Powerservice, with Standadyne I noticed that my motor was quieter at idle, with Redline additives I am noticing a big leap in noise and I am gaining a few mpg. Only drawbacks to Redline is that its only mail order, unless you live near a distributor. Redline is also more expensive than the others too..but u get what u pay for IMHO.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Stanadyne Performance is the perfect blend of cetane boost, anti-gel, and added lubricity. But it is a little more expensive than other additives.

Power Service are good choices for less money. The silver bottle (Diesel Kleen) is cetane boost only, up to 6 points. The white bottle is cetane boost (up to 3 points) and has anti-gell additives.

spinfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2003 Golf GLS Indigo Blue (totaled at 193k miles)
According to the power service website, both Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement contain a lubricity additive. I've been using power service so far, but I'd like to try the Stanadyne too. I haven't found it for sale locally yet, however.. looks like maybe an internet order will be required. Wal-mart, Pep Boys, the local gas station all sell Power Service.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
According to the power service website, both Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement contain a lubricity additive.
Poor wording on my part.

PS Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) has cetane boost up to 6 points, lubricity additives, but NO anti-gel.

PS in the white bottle has cetane boost up to 3 points, lubricity additives, and does have anti-gel additives.

I just bought a 96oz bottle of PS Diesel Kleen from Wal-Mart for $9.74 (tax included). Using 8oz per 15 gallon fill-up that's only $0.81 per use.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
I currently add Stanadyne to my tank with each fill up and I was wondering what other additive(s) should I add? A centane booster of some sort? What about DieselKleen or something like that? What do you all suggest?

But you are in California? I thought the fuel you buy is minimum 48 cetane already.
Which type of Stanadyne do you add? (it may already contain a cetane additive)
hth

ChugBug

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The Stanadyne alone is probably all you need. In fact, you probably don't even "need" that. You live in California and any fuel you buy there, by law, is in the top 5% quality-wise of fuel available in this country.

I've used both Stanadyne and PS white bottle and my car seems to run a bit smoother with the Stanadyne. The Stanadyne is recommended by VW and includes both cetane boosting and lubricity enhancing ingredients.

From the handful of trips I've made to California, I can tell you that the idle noise and cold start-up smoke are noticeably improved after I fill up with the CA spec fuel.

When I get home and fill up with the stuff we have up here things return to normal.

deuskid

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS, dark green, stock, 120K miles
I live in St. Louis area. I want to do BD20 [I believe, but would do >% if the cost/benefit warranted]. I guess I am going to have to add the 20% myself at each fill [still learning and researching - gosh, there is a ton of info to learn]. What other additives would be necessary if I use BD20 year round?

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Thanks for all your helpful tips. I do live in California, but someone had put it in my head somewhere that the diesel fuel in california, while being clean and high centane, had less lubcricants in it and was worse in the long run. They may have been wrong though. The reason I am adding the Diesel Kleen (just got at Walmart) is more for the lubricating effect than the centane boost, although that doesn't hurt either. My little Chugger is averaging between 38-40mpg and I would like to see that improve. He only has 33K on him though, so maybe he needs to break in some more.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Yeah, Diesel in California almost passes for real Diesel fuel as defined at the lowest category of the World-Wide Fuel charter.

That's better than the rest of us though!

roll on some decent diesel fuel.