Weird Odometer display?

JohnnyThin

TDI
02 Jetta
Ok folks, my odometer on my 02 Jetta is acting up. Occasionally, it will show some weird (hyroglyphics / greek / alien) symbols - really just random lines that dont add up to any proper numbers or letters. This will only last for about 30 seconds, then it goes right back to being perfectly normal. I asked the service advisor at the stealership what he thought it was, and he came up with some vague story about coolant migration into the wiring harness??? :confused:

I do have pictures (on my iPhone), but unfortunately I cant figure out how to post them on here without making a weblink (that i dont have....)

Any thoughts?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Ok folks, my odometer on my 02 Jetta is acting up. Occasionally, it will show some weird (hyroglyphics / greek / alien) symbols - really just random lines that dont add up to any proper numbers or letters. This will only last for about 30 seconds, then it goes right back to being perfectly normal. I asked the service advisor at the stealership what he thought it was, and he came up with some vague story about coolant migration into the wiring harness??? :confused:

I do have pictures (on my iPhone), but unfortunately I cant figure out how to post them on here without making a weblink (that i dont have....)

Any thoughts?
Upload them to here (you may have to register again):

http://pics.tdiclub.com/

then just copy the link to your album into a post.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Coolant migration is a real possibility. To check for it, disconnect the plug on the side of the coolant reservoir and look at the inside of the connector. It should be clean and dry, but if you see any sign of wetness or pink crusty material, you have the migration problem. There are many posts on the subject, so a search will give you plenty to read. It could also be a bad solder joint in the cluster or a broken trace on the circuit board.

Paul

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Coolant migration will effect temp and fuel gauge, not odometer.
When you can't see numbers on odometer ,it is either bad LCD or the contact between board and LCD needs to be clean.

JayWagn03

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Tdi ALH
I have 2 2002 Jettas. One was fading and the screens looked burnt. I could barely read the odometer. Now only 1 pixel works. I haven’t messed with the other jetta, it worked fine then one day it just went blank.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have 2 2002 Jettas. One was fading and the screens looked burnt. I could barely read the odometer. Now only 1 pixel works. I haven’t messed with the other jetta, it worked fine then one day it just went blank.
Marin, (jetta 97 above), is a cluster expert (see his sig). He's still active on the boards, so a PM might be helpful.

JayWagn03

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Tdi ALH
Marin, (jetta 97 above), is a cluster expert (see his sig). He's still active on the boards, so a PM might be helpful.
Fixed itself, I think it could’ve been the new battery but that was so long ago I’m not sure if I did anything else.