Weathertech digital fit mats for MK4?

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Weathertech digital fit mats for MKIV?

My girlfriend just picked up a set of Weathertech digital fit mats for her civic. I've owned them for other vehicles before, but it seems they don't make, or, no longer make them? Does anybody know if they did make them, and if so, a source to purchase them?
I've looked at other mats but just don't seem to compare.
Thanks!

Last edited:

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
^ I disagree. I couldn't find Weathertech's at the time so I went with Husky's...

It does it's job but the fitment isn't 100% like the WeatherTech's are known for. If I had the chance to go back I'd get WeatherTech's in a heartbeat!

@Jlaast - I've emailed a friend should know by tomorrow if he can get them and whether shipping is available considering your in Brockville and he's in Markham.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
^ I disagree. I couldn't find Weathertech's at the time so I went with Husky's...

It does it's job but the fitment isn't 100% like the WeatherTech's are known for. If I had the chance to go back I'd get WeatherTech's in a heartbeat!

@Jlaast - I've emailed a friend should know by tomorrow if he can get them and whether shipping is available considering your in Brockville and he's in Markham.
Appreciated! Thank you.

I'll be through Toronto twice in November if they're available, so I could pick them up.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Pretty sure they don't make the digital fits for the MK4s believe it or not. I looked into this a few years ago when I realize monster mats suck in the winter/working construction. I ended up buying the huskys and while they were better than the monster mats they weren't worth their weight in piss when compared to the weathertechs.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I've submitted a request to Weathertech to make them for the MKIV, but don't expect anything to happen.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Pretty sure they don't make the digital fits for the MK4s believe it or not. I looked into this a few years ago when I realize monster mats suck in the winter/working construction. I ended up buying the huskys and while they were better than the monster mats they weren't worth their weight in piss when compared to the weathertechs.
Agreed that Huskys aren't as high-quality as you would expect for the price. I found that they shifted out of position fairly easily. What I did to fix that was to use some industrial strength velcro (Home Depot) to fix it to the dead pedal. That seems to keep everything solid and in place. I had to Dremel off the nipples on the bottom of the mat to put on the Velcro but it was a pretty quick fix.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've looked at other mats but just don't seem to compare.
Are you trying to protect your carpets from wear or from winter slush and salt?

If the latter, none of them do that effectively by themselves, even digital fit floor mats from WeatherTech that I have for my VW Mk6 Jetta.

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
Are you trying to protect your carpets from wear or from winter slush and salt?

If the latter, none of them do that effectively by themselves, even digital fit floor mats from WeatherTech that I have for my VW Mk6 Jetta.

I disagree, my husky's(front ones) are at least 1 1/2" deep and my carpets are bone dry all winter long, which is the primary reason I chose them.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I disagree, my husky's(front ones) are at least 1 1/2" deep and my carpets are bone dry all winter long, which is the primary reason I chose them.
Can I see a pic of them, especially where they meet up with the gas pedal.

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
Can I see a pic of them, especially where they meet up with the gas pedal.

yes, pm me your email address.
also here is a link to another tdiclubber who uploaded photos-http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=336505
these pics are the same style as mine. From what Ive seen there is another style that has no coverage behind the gas pedal, totally lame. Weathertechs used to make them for mk4's and were equally lame. I bought mine almost ten years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
yes, pm me your email address.
Post it here for others to see.

From what Ive seen there is another style that has no coverage behind the gas pedal, totally lame.
Unfortunately, German cars have their gas pedals mounted to the floor so any type of mat cannot slide uner the pedal itself as they can in a Japanese car.

So the only way to keep your carpets "bone dry" as I have kept mine is by using a double layer of 6 mil plastic under the Weathertechs. This applies to any other mat such as Pants Savers which are also useless, etc.

Then the other stupid feature of any of these mats are the locating lug holes for the carpet pins in the factory carpet. What the eff is the point to having a wall of X inches tall when you have two holes in the mats. Of course my 6 mil plastic solves that issue and I use tarp clips attached to the seat rails to prevent the mats from moving / sliding.

This thread shows the Husky and Weathertech, both useless due to the gas pedal design. My carpets were bone dry but only after using my solution.

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
Post it here for others to see.

Unfortunately, German cars have their gas pedals mounted to the floor so any type of mat cannot slide uner the pedal itself as they can in a Japanese car.

So the only way to keep your carpets "bone dry" as I have kept mine is by using a double layer of 6 mil plastic under the Weathertechs. This applies to any other mat such as Pants Savers which are also useless, etc.

Then the other stupid feature of any of these mats are the locating lug holes for the carpet pins in the factory carpet. What the eff is the point to having a wall of X inches tall when you have two holes in the mats. Of course my 6 mil plastic solves that issue and I use tarp clips attached to the seat rails to prevent the mats from moving / sliding.

This thread shows the Husky and Weathertech, both useless due to the gas pedal design. My carpets were bone dry but only after using my solution.

The husky's in the that thread are not what I have(mine have no holes, which is why I chose them over the weathertechs). Also, I see your point about the area behind the gas pedal, however I am not too concerned as any water/snow from your shoes/boots are still going to drain down into the deep collection area, and in the ten years I have had mine, have never noticed any significant moisture collecting in that area. I will post pics, give me some time I'm on night shift and don't function well during the day at the moment.

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
Sorry for not getting back to you any sooner but Weathertech as mentioned from someone else wasn't made for our mk4's. The only thing made from them was cloth mats which is no good I'm sure.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Unfortunately, German cars have their gas pedals mounted to the floor so that any type of mat cannot slide uner the pedal itself as they can in a Japanese car.
Er, this is not true of all German cars. The Mk4 and earlier had suspended pedals, and they're back for the Mk7 Golf, and this does permit a mat to lie beneath the pedals (but makes heel-toe more difficult - what were they thinking?!).

Just the same, I really (!) like the idea of putting the plastic down to protect the floor as you have. I'd be fearful of it interfering with the accelerator the way it's laid overtop, though. I'd almost want to unbolt the pedal assembly, lay the plastic down (leaving little slits for the fasteners), and then refastening it down. A possible drawback is that the slits could allow moisture to pass, but there has to be a way to seal the bottom of the pedal assembly to the plastic barrier. Maybe a bead of clear silicone? This could then be peeled off in the spring.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Er, this is not true of all German cars. The Mk4 and earlier had suspended pedals...
I can only speak of the air cooled Beetles I grew up with, and my present Porsche 911 and VW Jetta. These all have floor mounted pedals.

Just the same, I really (!) like the idea of putting the plastic down to protect the floor as you have. I'd be fearful of it interfering with the accelerator the way it's laid overtop, though.
Not an issue at all. Absolutely no interference or feel to my gas pedal action.

The biggest issue is any mat being used sliding about on the plastic which I have solved years ago by using tarp clips that are tied to the seat rails.

The plastic sheets looks like crap in the winter, but my carpets look like new 10+ years later. I also place a $1 imitation chami from the dollar store under my mats to soak up any water.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here's the pic so others can see it.

They could have extended the side at the gas pedal, the part to the right of the foot.

I guess they are so worried about interference and liability, that they compromise the mat design.

deflux

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I've had the monster mats for 7 or 8 years and after a wash they still look new. They don't cover as much as the floor liners do but they work for me.

Hiphead

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6sp
So I went ahead as others suggested and purchased 10 feet of plastic runner from Home Depot.

The plastic runner is thick enough to prevent holes and flexible enough to install around the contours of the floor.

Used an x-acto knife to trim around the gas pedal and a few other spots. The width was actually perfect. And the plastic tabs on the bottom of the runner actually help it all stay firmly in place. I did buy a couple strips of Velcro but not necessary.

15 minutes later and now both driver and passenger carpets are completely protected from winter crap.

And no interference with any pedals. Clutch, brake and gas.

:)

Last edited:

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Weathertech does make the digital cut liner for a 2005.5 Jetta. Are there significant differences in the floor layout from the early 2000's?

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Weathertech does make the digital cut liner for a 2005.5 Jetta. Are there significant differences in the floor layout from the early 2000's?
That will be the MKV style and I don't think it would fit.