Water in the drivers footwell

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Left my car (2003 JSW) parked nose up the hill last night (steep driveway) it rained hard and in the morning I had water on the left foot well, under dash was wet just above the clutch pedal and towards the back (driver)
Any ideas? Clogged drains? Don't think it's sunroof cause it was nose up, like 15% slope

Tdiguy89

TDI
01 beetle alh 5mt, 02 jetta alh 5mt 12 jetta sportwagen cjaa dsg, 13 A3 cbea dsg
Sounds like clogged drains under the cowl cover at the base of the windshield.
There's a black box above the drivers footwell and thats where your dash wires come into the cabin. This box will warp up and leak into the footwell (mine was above the clutch pedal, I dont have the lower cover installed). Verify by running a waterhose over the cowl on the drivers side (be ready to move it).

I sealed mine by loosening the nuts on the side (10mm?), cleaning the area with a clean wet rag and then siliconing the crap out of that area. Seems to be holding a month or so later.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
In the door jam there's a flap that sticks closed.
I use to pinch them every month or so.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Unfortunately the car was sold.
Open the front door and on the body side of the jam you should see a black rubber flap
Like a round hose that was squashed together.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Thanks -- found it, between the upper hinge and the rubber wiring duct. I'll clean that out!

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Any update or new issues?
Checked the nipple in the drivers door, it was fine, also no big rain since that time, but I never looked under the wipers, drivers side wiper arm is stuck and I'm patiently waiting for Kroil to do it's job... or find a removal tool

Tdiguy89

TDI
01 beetle alh 5mt, 02 jetta alh 5mt 12 jetta sportwagen cjaa dsg, 13 A3 cbea dsg
Ok.
Checked the nipple in the drivers door, it was fine, also no big rain since that time, but I never looked under the wipers, drivers side wiper arm is stuck and I'm patiently waiting for Kroil to do it's job... or find a removal tool
If there are a bunch of leaves under the cowl, thats what I'm putting my money on for the fix. Leaves can turn acidic when in water so that could have ate at the seal. Good luck with the wiper, I was a fortunate one with mine and they came off easily. I actually don't remember having any difficulty, probably popped a screwdriver under it and pulled it.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
is there a way to replace the seal in the plenum under the windscreen?

Tdiguy89

TDI
There may be a replacement part, I'm honestly in the dark about this. Wildchild80 keeps telling me to KISS it, so with that in mind, silicone is cheap.🤷‍♂️