Waste gate valve on a Dieselgate TDI

pastorroy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have an engine light on caused by a waste gate valve sticking open. Since my 2010 Jetta TDI is being recalled to fix the exhaust emissions issue, I'm wondering whether the waste gate failure at 100k miles might be related to the additional emissions being emitted. If so, I would think that is VW's issue to fix, correct?

Also, I am due to be emissions tested next year. Do we know if these cars will pass? VW won't have a fix available until after my emissions test date. Have any of you heard of what states and EPA are planning to do about this?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have an engine light on caused by a waste gate valve sticking open. Since my 2010 Jetta TDI is being recalled to fix the exhaust emissions issue, I'm wondering whether the waste gate failure at 100k miles might be related to the additional emissions being emitted. If so, I would think that is VW's issue to fix, correct?

Also, I am due to be emissions tested next year. Do we know if these cars will pass? VW won't have a fix available until after my emissions test date. Have any of you heard of what states and EPA are planning to do about this?
1) What is the exact fault code your car is showing? Your car has a VNT turbo, it does not have a "waste gate". Therefore, your waste gate is not sticking or failing. However, there are other possibilities. More info needed.

2) As for passing emissions testing - if there is no CEL abd it passed last year, it will pass this year. The current "dieselgate" thing is totally unrelated to state emissions testing (at last so far).

Have Fun!

Don

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
Probably is the Intake Throttle Flap. My check engine light came on last weekon my 2010 Golf TDI with 131K miles. Bought a new one from Deutsche Auto Parts. $237. Yikes. But if you don't fix it, apparently the DPF can go bad and your car won't do the DPF regeneration. Looks like a 15 minute replacement. Remove the air intake tube and 3 torx screws. I will post a DIY when the I do the work. VCDS code is 008213. OBD code is P2015.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Probably is the Intake Throttle Flap. My check engine light came on last weekon my 2010 Golf TDI with 131K miles. Bought a new one from Deutsche Auto Parts. $237. Yikes. But if you don't fix it, apparently the DPF can go bad and your car won't do the DPF regeneration. Looks like a 15 minute replacement. Remove the air intake tube and 3 torx screws. I will post a DIY when the I do the work. VCDS code is 008213. OBD code is P2015.
If it is a P2015, you don't need to spend that much. Dieselgeek has a bullet proof fix for a whopping $64.00 (plus shipping). A search here will find lots of info.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI Hoo

TDI
If it is a P2015, you don't need to spend that much. Dieselgeek has a bullet proof fix for a whopping $64.00 (plus shipping). A search here will find lots of info.

Have Fun!

Don
Cool. Ordered. Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I'm wondering whether the waste gate failure at 100k miles might be related to the additional emissions being emitted.
No.

If so, I would think that is VW's issue to fix, correct?
It is not related. You are the first person I have heard with this problem. Your car is out of warranty so the fix is on your dime. Sorry. If you are handy you can replace the waste-gate yourself.

TDI Hoo

TDI

Have Fun!

Don

I'll be darned. This $64 bracket totally fixed it! Thanks, Don. Thanks, Jim and Paula at Dieselgeek! 20 minute fix.