VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I received a 2nd Goodwill Package yesterday. If I took it to a different dealer perhaps it would go thru. I could claim I thought it was just a "software glitch'. :rolleyes:
Did you try it? I'm thinking Goodwill cards are tied to VIN #'s and only one set of cards will be allowed? If it did/does go through, VW has IT software problems too - oh wait, UNLESS.... they used the same Dieselgate software engineers to program how the cards are activated.:rolleyes:

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Did you try it? I'm thinking Goodwill cards are tied to VIN #'s and only one set of cards will be allowed? If it did/does go through, VW has IT software problems too - oh wait, UNLESS.... they used the same Dieselgate software engineers to program how the cards are activated.:rolleyes:
Did not try & have no plans to. That would be dishonest. Besides VW told me I would probably receive 2 and destroy the 2nd.
I would like to see the parameters of what the testing for emissions by the EPA thou.
I would look for a "loophole" as perhaps VW did.

& as far as software problems : I am still getting correspondence from VW & haven't worked for them for over 9 months. (they still think I am an employee).

Last edited:

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Perhaps it would be a good use of the Goodwill $$ to BUY a TDI CLUB license plate frame if you don't have one & support this FORUM. ;)

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Just another idea... turns out my dealer does tint for just under $200. Now THAT is something I can use. What else are people buying? Beyond a 3 year supply of filters, and the roadside assistance kit, I really can't think of anything else to use these on. I won't need tires for the foreseeable future, I don't need a roof rack.

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Just another idea... turns out my dealer does tint for just under $200. Now THAT is something I can use. What else are people buying? Beyond a 3 year supply of filters, and the roadside assistance kit, I really can't think of anything else to use these on. I won't need tires for the foreseeable future, I don't need a roof rack.
Drivergear? There's some pretty cool stuff on there, mountain bikes, oakley sunglasses, watches, tents, coolers, etc..

http://www.drivergear.vw.com/Group/View-all-Lifestyles-68.htm

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I got a nice VW travel mug. That's something inexpensive that anyone could get a lot of use out of. It was ~$20 (well...free really, lol) and I use it at work everyday now.

They had a nice taller (20+ oz capacity) travel mug, but it had "GTI" in bright red lettering.:( I'm tempted to go back and get it (it was pretty sweet), put a black piece of duct tape over the "GTI," and make that my booze cup at home.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Parts for me. Just spent $246 and some change on all the stuff I need to perform my 20k service. I am going to look to have a guru perform the DSG service when its due at 40k.

Hondroid

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed 5 door.
It's a start (the 1k) but according to todays news (out of the USA) VW will likely have to buyback the older diesels. Here in Canada, we'll likely get screwed by the government and have to hand over half the compensation.

Oh well, I'm looking at a Subaru to replace my 2011 Golf TDI.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
OK, haven't seen any posts on this but I have a question. Will VW send me a "1099" for misc income for the $2K they gave me? IF so I will have to pay 25% income tax on it??

Don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" here but it is a valid question.

If my math is right, that's $500 I will owe uncle sam.

Last edited:

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Well I spent as much on that dealer card through newvwparts.com . The parts will be here soon. I ordered a roof rack and maintenance parts. I noticed that vw is having a 10% rebate check when buying vw accessories. I should be getting a 29 dollar check in the mail in 8-12 weeks.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
OK, haven't seen any posts on this but I have a question. Will VW send me a "1099" for misc income for the $2K they gave me? IF so I will have to pay 25% income tax on it??
Don't to be a "Debbie Downer" here but it is a valid question.
If my math is right, that's $500 I will owe uncle sam.
I think legally this is a gift, and since it's under $14,000, I don't think it has to be claimed as income. (I'm NOT a lawyer or tax man)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I think legally this is a gift, and since it's under $14,000, I don't think it has to be claimed as income. (I'm NOT a lawyer or tax man)
I would think that VW would come up with some way to pay the tax bill (if there is one). If people get a notice that they have to claim this...the "Goodwill" will be gone.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
This is interesting. At my dealer, they claimed that they had to take a picture of the MFD (showing mileage) and submit it to VW. They claimed that they could not "activate" my cards without that photo. It is interesting how different dealers lie in different ways. It makes it impossible for us to know what is actually true.

Have Fun!

Don
My dealer also required the photo of the MFD.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Mine dealer didn't even look at the car. I wrote the mileage down before I walked in with the cards and my registration. Didn't surprise me.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
My dealer also required the photo of the MFD.
Mileage is required by VW. Probably took photo instead of writing it down 2X. They wrote mine down & then entered it in system. Also required DL even thou they knew me as I had worked there :rolleyes:.

That's why I don't mind them servicing my car as they do EVERYTHING by the book.

Last edited:

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
I would think that VW would come up with some way to pay the tax bill (if there is one). If people get a notice that they have to claim this...the "Goodwill" will be gone.
Thanks for the input guy's and I agree with you, it is a gift. I will ask our accountant next month when he does our taxes.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I ordered exhaust tips, rain deflectors, sun shade, fuel/oil/air filters for 3 of my cars for the next couple services, half dozen big bottles of oem washer fluid, rear wiper blade and some hardware I will need in the future to install VWR Springs.

online from keffervw, took the dealer card without issue.. was not hard to spend, I always wanted the first 3 items but never really wanted to pay anything for them.. let alone dealer prices.

got tracking info today, so if your looking for an online dealer I can confirm http://keffervwparts.com/ will take your dealer-only goodwill card for online purchases.

Last edited:

minime18r

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Loss of long term performance

I haven't heard much about the long term losses, not only engine performance, but the overall economic losses we will suffer from the de-tune. Right now I have a 49 mpg average from my 2013 tdi. I bought this car as a dedicated commuter car and my fuelly log will testify to. What kind of compensation can we expect from VW when the performance doesn't live up to our expectations? That to me would be cause for VW to buy back. A dealer card and $500 visa card isn't going to fix that problem. Afterall I had planned to drive this car to retirement.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I haven't heard much about the long term losses, not only engine performance, but the overall economic losses we will suffer from the de-tune. Right now I have a 49 mpg average from my 2013 tdi. I bought this car as a dedicated commuter car and my fuelly log will testify to. What kind of compensation can we expect from VW when the performance doesn't live up to our expectations? That to me would be cause for VW to buy back. A dealer card and $500 visa card isn't going to fix that problem. Afterall I had planned to drive this car to retirement.
Probably nothing. 49mpg is far higher than the advertised mpg so as long as the "fix" doesn't make the new mpg fall below what VW advertised I don't think there would be a case for compensation.

If you aren't happy after the fix with mpg or performance there is always a Malone tune for you. ;)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My dealer walked out and checked my VIN and mileage and I had to supply my registration.

I spent all of my money. 40k service ate about $550 and the remaining $450 went towards a $550 bill from my dentist for a dental crown. Money gone in 2 days.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

minime18r

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Probably nothing. 49mpg is far higher than the advertised mpg so as long as the "fix" doesn't make the new mpg fall below what VW advertised I don't think there would be a case for compensation.

If you aren't happy after the fix with mpg or performance there is always a Malone tune for you. ;)
What would be considered a liable percentage below advertised mpg? Sticker was 46 mpg.