VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
They have got to be kidding....
No one is kidding, and this is only the beginning. They still have to come up with the "fix" for several generations of cars, plus there will be fines, more investigations, etc. For VW, this is nothing to kid around about.

Have Fun!

Don

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
No one is forcing you to take their money (or to tell them your mileage). You are free to do as you wish. As to whether VW has any "goodwill" toward us, I really don't care. Their primary goal is the survival of their company. Their will, good or bad, is largely unimportant to me.

Have Fun!

Don
Indeed. However, Volkswagen are calling this a "goodwill" package. It is not so, but rather a sale. They apparently think TDI owners' mileage data to be worth $1000.00 of incentives and 3 years of 24-hour roadside assistance.

In these circumstances, this is very suspicious.

That said, we all have until April 2016 to decide what we'll do.

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
Signed up....got the call from the dealer today about their packet They were going to send me. It is kind of a slap in the face but I'll take it. I planned on driving mine into the ground...however it would be nice if they came up with a pay off option or something. 1k is a joke...but I'll take my 80k DSG and also but my wife some new tires for her suv with the residual.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package/

VW is buying mileage data. You must provide it as part of registration for the so-called "good will" package. As far as I can see, there is no "good will" involved, but rather a lot of hoops that you have to jump through in order to provide data to a manufacturer which defrauded its customers, as well as spend money at the dealership or get some pre-paid debit card.
Every time you take your car to the VW dealer for any service (free or not) they are recording your mileage.
So does jiffy lube, walmart auto, or during annual state inspection.
Who give a rats ass what the mileage reads in the car?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
If you dont think they get your millage every time you go in for a recall or an oil change your delusional.. its standard operating procedure, for every manufacturer.

The state collects the same data if you have to go in for regular inspections..

Your speculation is beyond paranoia, they have always done this and they always will... every single auto shop, regardless if they are a dealer or independent will record your odometer readings for there own records.. I am pretty sure they guys whom tinted my windows took an odometer reading, for what? Standard Automotive Business records...

Are you planing on rolling back your odometer or something? You also gave them your mailing address, omg they could just come and steal your cars now since they already know the key and immo code!!! /sarcasm

Last edited:

bowltr

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I read all the reactions to the Goodwill offer and there seems to be a lot of anger about it. What is the problem? If VW is offering us $1000 and there are no strings attached why wouldn't you accept it? I see posts here about telling them my mileage........yada yada. So what, it's mileage not trade secrets. Take the $ and use it wisely. Buy something for the car, take the wife or GF or kids out for dinner and a movie, whatever.

I for one love my 2015 Passat SEL TDI. I have zero intentions of having any "fix" done to it if/when they come up with one. I also do not care about any EPA guidelines. There are so many worse things in this world I'm just not going to get upset about what VW did to "me".
Who cares if they lied? How does that really affect you? Some people I'm sure bought their cars for the clean diesel environmental reasons but I bet the overwhelming majority purchased their cars because they like the look, feel and mileage of the TDI.

All I know is I intend to drive my car for another 10yrs and if VW is going to give me 1K I'm accepting it and putting it towards Christmas. I'm just not going to have this fake outrage that I feel some people are displaying

Last edited:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I read all the reactions to the Goodwill offer and there seems to be a lot of anger about it. What is the problem? If VW is offering us $1000 and there are no strings attached why wouldn't you accept it? I see posts here about telling them my mileage........yada yada. So what, it's mileage not trade secrets. Take the $ and use it wisely. Buy something for the car, take the wife or GF or kids out for dinner and a movie, whatever.

I for one love my 2015 Passat SEL TDI. I have zero intentions of having any "fix" done to it if/when they come up with one. I also do not care about any EPA guidelines. There is so much worse things in this world I'm just not going to get upset about what VW did to "me".
Who cares if they lied? How does that really affect you? Some people I'm sure bought their cars for the clean diesel environmental reasons but I bet the overwhelming majority purchased their cars because they like the look, feel and mileage of the TDI.

All I know is I intend to drive my car for another 10yrs and if VW is going to give me 1K I'm accepting it and putting it towards Christmas. I'm just no going to have this fake outrage that I feel some people are displaying
Well said, definitely not using that $500 towards any maintenance work to avoid the ecu reflash when they have a fix, but rather buying accessories with the money.

seandice

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT

I for one love my 2015 Passat SEL TDI. I have zero intentions of having any "fix" done to it if/when they come up with one. I also do not care about any EPA guidelines. There is so much worse things in this world I'm just not going to get upset about what VW did to "me".

All I know is I intend to drive my car for another 10yrs and if VW is going to give me 1K I'm accepting it and putting it towards Christmas. I'm just no going to have this fake outrage that I feel some people are displaying
Not everyone is outraged, I personally feel sorry for the person that is still outraged about this scandal. Some are speculative; I myself am just waiting to see what happens before I have any emotion about my Passat other than loving it.
With that being said, There is much more that impacts the TDI owner than said owners car's emissions. Who know what will happen when it comes to enforcing the recall. Vehicle value has most likely diminished due to this (in my particular, '15 Passat situation, probably much more than 1k in gift cards). There are also other smaller factors that come into play, and all of those were sprung on TDI owners as a surprise to us. Would you have still bought the TDI knowing what you know about the recall? I bought this car less than 6 months ago, I love it but I would be still driving my old car, or a toyota camry right now.

EDIT: Also, From the goodwill package program rules page:

"Program Rules are void to the extent where prohibited by law. Taxes may apply where required by law, and are the responsibility of the Goodwill Package recipient. Eligibility, registration, activation and redemption of Goodwill Package are subject to present and future program rules, which are incorporated by reference and may be modified by VWoA at any time without notice."

Hard to say for sure there aren't any strings attached. I still took them up on the offer, as I personally think this is the end of compensation for our lost value. But I understand why one would be speculative.

Last edited:

bowltr

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Would you have still bought the TDI knowing what you know about the recall? I bought this car less than 6 months ago, I love it but I would be still driving my old car, or a toyota camry right now.
Unequivocally yes I would have. I had intended to buy the gas models but I drove them both back to back and the TDI felt better, sounded better and just felt like the "right" car for me. If the mileage was the same as the gas model it would not have mattered. Diesel fuel was actually .10 cheaper in my area at the time of purchase so that was an unintended bonus. I was driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that had 200k miles on it so I needed to do something. Maybe I could have driven it through the winter but it was old and tired and I just replaced 3 of the 6 cylinders. It was time for a new car and I'm glad I did it. Love my Passat. Enjoy every trip I get to take in it.
I'm taking the $1k and not looking back. If I also get something else from VW or class action then great.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
It is not the end of anything, and you can always still sue or persue other means of recourse if you are unsatisfied.

This is posted clearly right above the "Check Eligibility" button on the goodwill page:

Find out if your vehicle is affected by the 2.0L TDI emissions issue and whether you are eligible to receive the Goodwill Package. Affected customers eligible for the Goodwill Package are not required to waive their rights or release their claims against VWGoA in order to receive the Package.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
What's all the whining about?

I run my cars into the ground, so I could care less about resale value. VW did $3000+ in rust repairs to my 2003 TDI, and now VW is giving me $1000 and probably giving me a free DEF system that will give me better mileage too. If I'm complaining, I'm complaining all the way to the bank!

seandice

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
Unequivocally yes I would have. I had intended to buy the gas models but I drove them both back to back and the TDI felt better, sounded better and just felt like the "right" car for me. If the mileage was the same as the gas model it would not have mattered. Diesel fuel was actually .10 cheaper in my area at the time of purchase so that was an unintended bonus. I was driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that had 200k miles on it so I needed to do something. Maybe I could have driven it through the winter but it was old and tired and I just replaced 3 of the 6 cylinders. It was time for a new car and I'm glad I did it. Love my Passat. Enjoy every trip I get to take in it.
I'm taking the $1k and not looking back. If I also get something else from VW or class action then great.
If my car was a bit older and had taken less of a hit on value, I would probably be saying the same thing. bottom line is no one knows what will happen. Personally, as long as I am not forced by law to lower the performance of my vehicle, I am happy.
I do understand what you were saying about the outraged, there are people who are hunting/hoping to make a profit from VW in this situation. From what I gather though, people just want the value that was taken from them due to this scandal.

It is not the end of anything, and you can always still sue or persue other means of recourse if you are unsatisfied.

This is posted clearly right above the "Check Eligibility" button on the goodwill page:
I understand I still have the right to sue, that means very little to me though. It wouldn't be worth the reward.
I wasn't talking about waiving my right to sue by accepting the goodwill package. I was talking about recall related restrictions specifically. I am no legal expert, but I myself am still speculative and I understand why others are.

seandice

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
I run my cars into the ground, so I could care less about resale value. VW did $3000+ in rust repairs to my 2003 TDI, and now VW is giving me $1000 and probably giving me a free DEF system that will give me better mileage too. If I'm complaining, I'm complaining all the way to the bank!
SCR mods are speculated to increase mileage?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....in the Business section - Nov 10, 2015, Sacramento Bee (Per a LA Times bylined article) quotes Peter Bezak - who is a Santa Barbara attorney.......................

I know this sounds like a fairy tale - or a sea story (I was Navy after college for a few years):

At any rate, the article quotes this attorney as saying (in part) ".....a delay tactic by VW...."

The abbreviation in the quote is mine. Don't shoot the messenger. Drive more (worry less).

ez....

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
For the tax experts out there: Would this count as taxable income? Seeing as the current regime is probably paying close attention it's a question that needs answering.

Phillbus

TDI
12 Passat TDI
I tried to apply for this but was denied. I called VW customer care and was told that I wasn't listed as the owner with them (strange I got an extended warranty notice a few months ago about the fuel pump) They updated their system to show me as the owner and asked questions about when/where I bought the car and brought up it may not be eligible since it was originally a fleet car. I bought it from an independent dealer used almost a year ago - long before the scandal broke, why would it matter who owned it before me? The title and car-fax is clean, no accidents and it has been maintained 'by the book' since it was new.

They said my case has been escalated, but I'm a little concerned now. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

screenshot - http://imgur.com/oPQXpIg

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Folks who are worried about falling resale values also probably bought stocks in 2006 and sold in 2009. You don't lose anything unless you sell. And if values are down now (not confirmed) they'll recover. There's every indication that VW is committed to making diesels legal and viable in the North American market. People who have newer TDIs will be at an advantage when it comes time to sell, because as a result of this scandal there will be fewer used TDIs available in a few years. It's all good.

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
The problem is, there is no fix. If the cars could legitimately meet emissions standards at the performance/mpg they sold the cars on, then they would not have needed to cheat.

This is going to be really interesting to see how this plays out. Whatever the "fix" is, it will be a nightmare. I will not do any "fix", my state doesn't require emissions on diesel cars. But if the EPA steps in and requires it nation wide I will dump the car.

Otherwise I will use the good will money towards Buzzken ehaust and malone stage 2 and drive it into the ground

nmeyer414

TDI
2015 TDI
all of this diesel gate or whatever you want to call it is making my sides hurt with all of the laughter from the speculation of all these "know-it-all's"!

I have been in the diesel world for almost 20 years now and find it astonishing just how much people do not understand about diesels as well as think its the diesels of the mid to late 20th century!

take your free money, close your mouth and continue along with your miserable boo hoo entitlement mentality existence!

seandice

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
Folks who are worried about falling resale values also probably bought stocks in 2006 and sold in 2009. You don't lose anything unless you sell. And if values are down now (not confirmed) they'll recover. There's every indication that VW is committed to making diesels legal and viable in the North American market. People who have newer TDIs will be at an advantage when it comes time to sell, because as a result of this scandal there will be fewer used TDIs available in a few years. It's all good.
That's only true if the recall doesn't have an effect on performance and/or reliability. Which it will.

seandice

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
all of this diesel gate or whatever you want to call it is making my sides hurt with all of the laughter from the speculation of all these "know-it-all's"!

I have been in the diesel world for almost 20 years now and find it astonishing just how much people do not understand about diesels as well as think its the diesels of the mid to late 20th century!

take your free money, close your mouth and continue along with your miserable boo hoo entitlement mentality existence!
Can you please specify what we are wrong about?
We just want to level with VW. These cute little gift cards aren't going to satisfy the damages that have happened to some owners. Are you going to take the recall with the lower performance and/or reliability with a smile on your face?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's only true if the recall doesn't have an effect on performance and/or reliability. Which it will.
You don't know that. Some say that if they retrofit Adblue to the '09-14 cars it may improve performance. And let's face it, the current emissions system isn't exactly a paragon of reliability. It wouldn't be hard to improve on it, even if the improvement consists of extending the emissions warranty.

blackhat840

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL BLUE/Black Leather
How many people actually purchased their Passat TDi for the "clean burning diesel"? I personally purchased mine because I liked how it looks, drove, performed on the highway and the AMAZING gas mileage it gets (which I constantly exceed what was rated on the window sticker). I'm not really that mad at VW for creating this defeat software because we all know the EPA has regulations so strict they are almost impossible to meet. I would expect to see other "premium" car manufactures brought under scrutiny as my Passat has the same type of DEF technology that BMW uses in their diesels. I still love my Passat to this day and it is the 5th VW I've owned (03 Jetta 1.8T, 06 Jetta 2.0, 06 Jetta 2.0 5 Speed, 08 Passat and now my 14 Passat TDi)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The problem is, there is no fix. If the cars could legitimately meet emissions standards at the performance/mpg they sold the cars on, then they would not have needed to cheat.
We do not know this. This is pure conjecture. SCR system should be able to fix the emissions system shortcomings.

This is going to be really interesting to see how this plays out. Whatever the "fix" is, it will be a nightmare.
Again, we do not know this. You might be correct, but it is also possible that the "fix" will improve the performance of our cars. It is too early to panic and it is too early to make decisions like you are talking about. The lack of patience around here is amazing. Decisions made in the heat of the moment are almost always wrong. Everybody just relax and wait to see what VW does. If the "fix" harms our cars, I will not do it either, but I am not going to make ANY decision right now. I refuse to make an uninformed decision and right now that is our only real option.

Have Fun!

Don