VW Settlement in the US

Max-4

TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Prolly is my short form for probibally, sorry.

Do you guys think you have to be the original owner who bought the car new to qualify for the buyback or the $5000 credit?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I think they would make us demonstrate a loss to qualify, so owning the car at the time of the scandal at a minimum. It's compensation for the loss in residual value. Not sure how they will treat people who sold after the scandal. If they made a loss selling, they should get compensation. Now savage sold at a loss, but then bought another for a bargain, so not sure how that would work ;)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Whatever they do, they wont have a fix that wont get them in trouble. Best bet for them would be to buy them back and ship them to countries with less restrictions to minimize their loss.
I recall speaking to a Service rep at Yorkdale VW who shook his head and stated with such confidence and said " the fix will make the car better and better performance and more fuel economy" I laughed at him and said " there is no fix that they can do that will make the car better at all or else they would not have lied and rigged the computer."
Im in the same boat as Savageman69.
Good Luck Vw.
What did you laugh? VW did the cheating because it was cheaper that to do it the legal way. Performance was not the reason, $$$ was. Everything is about money, EVERYTHING!!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think they would make us demonstrate a loss to qualify, so owning the car at the time of the scandal at a minimum. It's compensation for the loss in residual value. Not sure how they will treat people who sold after the scandal. If they made a loss selling, they should get compensation. Now savage sold at a loss, but then bought another for a bargain, so not sure how that would work ;)
What he bought after shouldn't be relevant.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I believe they will do the same deal like they did with $1000
that if you purchase the vehicle before the scandal broke, you will get something
even after you sold it, but you will not get $5000

the $5000 from what I read will be given only if you decide to repair the vehicle and keep it , (now if you finance the vehicle that amount will be applied to your VW credit, so the amount of owing will be less by $5000, those that paid off will get cheque in the mail) those that lease you will have chance to return the vehicle at no cost to you, but if you lease and want to drive after the repair the $5k will be applied to vw credit and your monthly payments will drop

for the buy back they will offer the market value what would of been at the present time before the scandal broke down + taxes, they will give you cheque for that amount if you want to exit VW, there will be discount offered on the new vehicle if you decide to stay with VW , so the amount will be applied toward the new car + plus extra bonues...
I have calculated that if I get buy back on my mk6 tdi and get new mk7 I will have to take a loan of approx between $12000 and $15000 if not more , I have mk7 as well which probably I will keep it and get software update and use that $5k toward second new mk7

there will be many unhappy people

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why not? In international trade law, it's about proving "injury", so why wouldn't it be similar here? The scandal lead to him losing money on one vehicle. But that loss was probably made up for by the one he bought next. So where is the injury? It was a wash in the end, maybe even gain if the new one lost more value. So if there is a component for the loss, plus another bonus for the inconvenience, "emotional trauma", etc, I can see the latter applying in this case, but not the former?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the $5000 from what I read will be given only if you decide to repair the vehicle and keep it , (now if you finance the vehicle that amount will be applied to your VW credit, so the amount of owing will be less by $5000, those that paid off will get cheque in the mail) those that lease you will have chance to return the vehicle at no cost to you, but if you lease and want to drive after the repair the $5k will be applied to vw credit and your monthly payments will drop
Now from a business perspective, why would they give the full $5K on a lease? The lessee doesn't own the vehicle, the lessor does, and the lessor suffered the loss on value as well when the vehicle is returned. I'd see there being some sort of split between the two.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Why not? In international trade law, it's about proving "injury", so why wouldn't it be similar here? The scandal lead to him losing money on one vehicle. But that loss was probably made up for by the one he bought next. So where is the injury? It was a wash in the end, maybe even gain if the new one lost more value. So if there is a component for the loss, plus another bonus for the inconvenience, "emotional trauma", etc, I can see the latter applying in this case, but not the former?

it will be the same as $1000 gift , people who purchased after scandal broke down didn't get any, I think this still will apply , VW will set these rules,
there will be many unhappy people ... once these rules become public..

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
it will be the same as $1000 gift , people who purchased after scandal broke down didn't get any, I think this still will apply , VW will set these rules,
I can't wait for them to file their own CAS and find an attorney to argue their case with a straight face.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Why would they have a case? Those that bought after the scandal knew full well what they were buying. Why should they get compensated? :confused:
Exactly. That's my point. Check threadzilla. There are people that bought months after the scandal hit...that knew exactly what they were getting into...that are asking "am I gonna get paid too?":rolleyes:

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Now from a business perspective, why would they give the full $5K on a lease? The lessee doesn't own the vehicle, the lessor does, and the lessor suffered the loss on value as well when the vehicle is returned. I'd see there being some sort of split between the two.

Those cars that are leased or bought back and returned back to VW will be written off or sold for parts (LKQ is in talk with VW to help them recycle some of those cars for parts)

As far of VW goes I don't think they want to give away money that easily, they will makesure those money will be put back to VW. There will be a catch to this, there will be a lot of unhappy people but at the end of the day it is business. coming close to June 21 we will learn what the possible options will be available

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So if he decided to get a bit bicycle then what? Or decided not to get a car at all. What he buys after make no difference.

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
This is incorrect.

I purchased my car after the scandal and still received the $1000 credit because I owned the car prior to the cut-off date imposed by VW.

Naz-MK6-Jetta

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
my2c

This is incorrect.
I purchased my car after the scandal and still received the $1000 credit because I owned the car prior to the cut-off date imposed by VW.

The onus is on VW to fulfill the customer's and the government's needs. First, government need is to have emissions compliant vehicles, so if you have a vehicle it must be returned to VW for fix/buyback.

If you do not posses a VW because you sold it pre/post scandal(doesnt matter), tough luck you forgo your $5000 contribution because you're not associated with a VIN#. Following the same logic, if you sold you VW, and bought another VW, the contribution will be related to the NEW VW because that is the only VIN# on your name.

Past VW vehicles (even during the scandal) are irrelevant if you got rid of it. I do not believe this person is able to claim anything from VW.

Some interesting points from my research:
2009 TDIs have CBEA engine - the dpf is fused with the cat and these appear to be 100% buybacks as whole system must be reworked

2010-2014 TDIs have CJAA engine - the dpf and cat are two pieces and these appear to be a hardware + software fix, 50%(?) possibility that these would be buyback/fix

2015 TDI have urea system - software change alone will create eligiblity for meeting emissions standards - still possibility of buyback because power/efficiency will likely decrease

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So if he decided to get a bit bicycle then what? Or decided not to get a car at all. What he buys after make no difference.
If he bought another car or bicycle, the argument could be made he was negatively impacted by VW, and the loss of his VW after the scandal. If someone turns around and buys another TDI, they are demonstrating that they didn't care about the scandal at all, plus they took advantage of it to get another one at a better price. You usually need to show injury/harm in some way to claim a remedy. This whole settlement to the individual consumers is to compensate them for harm. I think with the initial $1000 VW was only interested in their reputation, so didn't care about circumstances and gave it to everyone. For this next more expensive round, I think there will be more scrutiny.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If he bought another car or bicycle, the argument could be made he was negatively impacted by VW, and the loss of his VW after the scandal. If someone turns around and buys another TDI, they are demonstrating that they didn't care about the scandal at all, plus they took advantage of it to get another one at a better price. You usually need to show injury/harm in some way to claim a remedy. This whole settlement to the individual consumers is to compensate them for harm. I think with the initial $1000 VW was only interested in their reputation, so didn't care about circumstances and gave it to everyone. For this next more expensive round, I think there will be more scrutiny.
They really only gave people $500. The other $500 served two purposees: 1. It threw dealers a bone, and 2. People would continue to maintain the cars that VW knew they'd have to buy back at some point.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
They really only gave people $500. The other $500 served two purposees: 1. It threw dealers a bone, and 2. People would continue to maintain the cars that VW knew they'd have to buy back at some point.
It's not like anyone would stop maintaining their cars at that point. Perhaps now, you will find people stop doing maintenance, because they know VW will have no choice to buy back their car.

The other question is the crazy exchange rate nowadays .... they disregarded it during the "500+500" goodwill package ... they cannot take the same approach under the buyback terms ... 5K US$ is not 5K CA$ ... this is big money, with lawsuits waiting to leap out of trench ....

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
It's not like anyone would stop maintaining their cars at that point. Perhaps now, you will find people stop doing maintenance, because they know VW will have no choice to buy back their car.

The other question is the crazy exchange rate nowadays .... they disregarded it during the "500+500" goodwill package ... they cannot take the same approach under the buyback terms ... 5K US$ is not 5K CA$ ... this is big money, with lawsuits waiting to leap out of trench ....
You can bet that there are more than a few people running around on marginal tires, timing belts at or over the change interval, non-essential items broken or in less than optimum condition, etc. There has been multiple threads pop up with exactly that question (between September and March)..."should I put off doing my timing belt?"

Did you pay USD for your car or CAD? If you paid $25,000 CAD (or however much)...they aren't going to give you $25,000 USD, just because that's how much they gave a U.S. customer that...wait for it...paid $25,000 USD for their car.

Who's to say whether or not they'll do buybacks in Canada. The only reason they're doing them in the U.S. is because of the potential penalties. If it weren't for our consumer protection laws, VW would be just as indifferent to us as they are to their European customers.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a d1ck. As I've said from day one (in the main thread)...the only reason that VW will do anything that benefits consumers, is if it behooves them to do so. i.e. The only reason they're going to buyback cars in the U.S. is that it's cheaper than the alternative.

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm delaying work while I await the outcome

I will soon need new summer tires
I will soon need new winter ties
My front bumper needs to be replaced
I need a hitch
I need (want) a tune

Not doing any of this until I know whether I am keeping the car

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

I need a hitch
I need (want) a tune

Yup. I had to put new tires on mine in late October. I was not happy about it, as I was new car shopping when the news broke.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite

I need a hitch
I need (want) a tune

my boss is going to Northtown VW in Buffalo to get new tires. we did get the Visa and dealer cards in US dollars though.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
You can bet that there are more than a few people running around on marginal tires, timing belts at or over the change interval, non-essential items broken or in less than optimum condition, etc. There has been multiple threads pop up with exactly that question (between September and March)..."should I put off doing my timing belt?"

Did you pay USD for your car or CAD? If you paid $25,000 CAD (or however much)...they aren't going to give you $25,000 USD, just because that's how much they gave a U.S. customer that...wait for it...paid $25,000 USD for their car.

Who's to say whether or not they'll do buybacks in Canada. The only reason they're doing them in the U.S. is because of the potential penalties. If it weren't for our consumer protection laws, VW would be just as indifferent to us as they are to their European customers.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a d1ck. As I've said from day one (in the main thread)...the only reason that VW will do anything that benefits consumers, is if it behooves them to do so. i.e. The only reason they're going to buyback cars in the U.S. is that it's cheaper than the alternative.
I Paid US dollars but will wait to see if there is an offer in US dollars and maybe it will go to 'my' California address.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's like complaining about having to do brakes. Start thinking with your heads not your wallet.
You do realize what you are in the "Ima cheaps$" owner's forum, right?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's like complaining about having to do brakes. Start thinking with your heads not your wallet.
My car has 78,000km on it, and I have been rotating two sets of tires. If you do the math, I'm not riding around on bare tires. I just like to replace mine earlier, but I won't until I know what is going on. Could go a few more years with the tread I have left. Just generally wouldn't choose to.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
You do realize what you are in the "Ima cheaps$" owner's forum, right?
VW's marketing people nailed it.:) When I sent this to my parents and GF...they all asked if I was interviewed for this piece, lol.

According to the lawsuit, VW marketers studied potential diesel customers and determined that they "rationalize themselves out of their aspirations and justify buying lesser cars under the guise of being responsible."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ssion-volkswagen-group-clean-diesel/82376012/