VW recalling 150K Passats over headlight concerns

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Seems like a lame excuse for a poor design. Dropping your hood closed from some unspecified height. 2" or 2 feet? Inquiring minds want to know VW.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
So they cheaped out and didn't supply a $30 hood strut, and this is the result. A massive recall for the hood slamming down.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have water in my passenger headlight, wonder if this is the cause? They didn't seem to concerned about it during my 10k service though

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Thanks for posting this OP I hadn't seen it. I may be able to get my money back for the headlight I replaced.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So they cheaped out and didn't supply a $30 hood strut, and this is the result. A massive recall for the hood slamming down.
I'm not sure how a hood strut would have stopped it... it isn't like those soft-closing cabinets in kitchens these days. ;)

The recall is a good sign though - there have been numerous reports of headlight issues here on the '12 and '13 cars, although not very many lately. Either way, it's nice to see the recall even though there have been no accidents or injuries.

Last edited:

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
The hood strut IMO would keep the hood from falling with greater velocity. As well as reducing the temptation or tendency for someone to just drop the hood down at full height.

Last edited:

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Interesting ... I just tried to check this link on vw.com, but their entire VWoA site seems to be down at this time.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
vw.com is down
Turbo problems with their main frame......

Anyway, I'm happy to see the recall. I believe a higher percentage of users have turbo problems than have headlight problems, so....perhaps when VW figures out what is causing the turbo failures they'll issue a recall. At least this headlight recalls shows that they know how to do a recall.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^not in my region. My dealer has a closetful of "defective" headlight assemblies he's removed, paid for under warranty, (which he says can be repaired for <$10) from Passats.

He does NOT have a closetful of defective turbos...

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Perhaps VW can 'fix' the problem by installing factory HID's? hahaha - wishful thinking.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
My 2nd headlight went out this week out of warranty (54K) so i called to get it fixed under the recall and there is no information in the VW system yet on any recall. And the dealer just gave me an 800 number to call. I will advise everyone on what happens after I call. The 800 number knew nothing about the recall either.... FRUSTRATING the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Last edited:

WolfPack

TDI
2013 Passat tdi
During my test drive the drivers side head light went out and had to be replaced. That alone almost swayed me not to buy the car with something going wrong right out of the gate, but I have had no issues what so ever after one year and 30,000 miles.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Don't slam your hood! I always lower the hood gently and let the first latch 'click', then I put two hands over the area where the latch is a firmly push down with one quick motion and it locks down.

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
My 2014 Passat has a gas strut to hold the hood up, do the earlier models not have that?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
No, the gas strut was added half way though 13.

Heard about the recall on the radio this morning. I wonder when we'll get our notice.

-J

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
of course their would be a recall for something dumb like this and not something practical like seat squeaks , or dash cracks and pops , issues with the latches not letting me out of my car or unlocking when its supposed to or trying to lock at 10mph.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
of course their would be a recall for something dumb like this and not something practical like seat squeaks , or dash cracks and pops , issues with the latches not letting me out of my car or unlocking when its supposed to or trying to lock at 10mph.
Because squeaking seats more important than headlights that don't function. :confused:

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
This headlight issue has nothing to do with the hood slamming. I am on my 4th passenger side headlamp assembly and I rarely open my hood and when I do I never slam it. The sockets are melting the housings, how in the heck is that happening from the hood slamming? I don't really care what they blame it on, I am just glad they are finally going to fix the issue.