VW Navigation (MFD) accuracy

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Most of us here who have installed an MFD into their MKIV's, whether it be a Unit D or G have all used the Gala wire/speed sensor wire from the cluster to the Navi.

There has been some discussion on VWNavi.com about how to properly set the MFD.

I was hoping to start this thread so that those of you with MFD's can post how you have configured your Navi.

Most of us set the pulse to 8 and the tire circumference to whatever your size wheel. Press 3 & 6, then the flag button. This should bring up the configuration menu. You can also do this via Vag-com.

From a post on VWNavi.com

Tyre circumference is just an additional calculation used in the navi for short distances when approaching junctions and when there is no GPS signal. The navi updates the initial value entered so its self correcting. The navi doesn't continually monitor the satellites but refers back to them periodically to check the car's actual position in relation to what the gala and gyros are telling it about your car's position.
Our MFD's use Dead Reckoning to navigate so here's a definition:

Dead reckoning (DR) is a method of navigation used in ships, aircraft, trucks, cars, rail engines, construction sites engines e.g. in tunnels and, more recently, mobile robots. Essentially it is used to estimate an object's position based on the distance it traveled in its current direction from its previous position.

A navigator using this method uses the craft's last known position (fix), then plots the craft's expected position for a given fix interval (elapsed time from one fix to the next) according to the compass course it is steering, the speed it is making, and allowance for winds and tides. In modern navigation, this plotted position is compared to a fix, taken at the time for which the DR was plotted, to determine set and drift (the combined external forces which act upon a ship causing it to deviate from its intended course). The difference between actual position (fix) and DR position helps the navigator determine a course and speed that will allow for set and drift in maintaining the ordered course and speed of advance.
More posts from VWNavi.com:

You should use 8 if you use the GALA pulse and as I said the Navi calibrates the tire size automatically. What do you mean by truly accurate, it will not be any more accurate than about 5 meters unless you are military or a land surveyer. That's the techology limit for automotive use at present. As long as it updates within about 5 seconds after a left or right turn you are at the best you can have.
The Navi adjusted the tire size. I would advise you to change the pulse to 8 if you are having problems with accuracy.

I am on my second car with a Blaupunkt built Navi and they are working fine if they update about 5 seconds after you turn a corner, i.e. the map/arrow show the correct direction. I would then stop worrying about it.
Apart from there being a bit of a lag before the Navi displays the actual position, as others have mentioned, I find it quite accurate. On my system the cursor is always centred on the road. I also try to think of the arrow point as being the REAR of the car because that is where my GPS antenna is located.

Don't bother messing with the tyre circumference as the system will always adjust it. I have also found that if the GALA setting is wrong, the Navi will get completely lost, not just a bit wide.
If you use the GALA pulse then the correct setting is 8, but if the Navi is connected correctly then it calibrates itself in about 10-15 minutes.
However, you are still missing a connection if the Navi doesn't update properly.

If all is well then a good test is to take a drive and see how fast the Navi notices that you have turned a corner. My old Blaupunkt DX-N which is essentially an MFD, and my new MFD 2 notice within 4-5 seconds that I have changed direction and the car position symbol changes appropriately. Does your Navi do this? If it does then the Navi is working as it should. If it doesn't then you still don't have GALA.

Does it tell you to prepare to turn in so and so many feet and then when you are at the turn does it tell you to turn for instance "Turn next right"? If it does then the Navi is working as it should. Or are you well past the turn when you get the turn instruction? Then you still don't have GALA.

Have you confirmed that you have SAT acquisition? It can not calibrate without the Sats. The Navi needs minimum 2 Sats and 3 Sats for a 3D fix which gives altitude.

So and now the last question (you have A GALA signal) otherwise the radio volume will not change. Using two 3M vampire clip connectors you have to take a wire from pin 1 where the GALA pulse is on the Navi and connect this to pin 5 of the 26 pin connector. If you do this it should fix the problem,
There is a picture diagram of each connector on the back of the Navi. If you don't have such pictures on your Navi then look here : http://www.linux-profis.de/navi/Rad...elegung_mfd.pdf

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both my Unit D and Unit G Navi's have pulse set to 8. Tire Circumference on one is 2286, the other is 2285. I've got 16's on one and 15's on the other.

Both Navi's tell me to turn before the actual turn. The cursor on the screen DOES NOT reflect where I am precisely but it never has and never will because the Navi uses Dead Reckoning for it's navigation.

There is the normal lag-time for regular driving, missed turns and re-routing.

For those of you who have a FIS cluster installed, pay attention to the cluster and not the screen. The cursor is actually syncronized with the Navi voice. The voice or cursor in the cluster seems to be ahead of the Navi screen cursor.

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
tongsli said:
Both my Unit D and Unit G Navi's have pulse set to 8. Tire Circumference on one is 2286, the other is 2285. I've got 16's on one and 15's on the other.

Both Navi's tell me to turn before the actual turn. The cursor on the screen DOES NOT reflect where I am precisely but it never has and never will because the Navi uses Dead Reckoning for it's navigation.

There is the normal lag-time for regular driving, missed turns and re-routing.

For those of you who have a FIS cluster installed, pay attention to the cluster and not the screen. The cursor is actually syncronized with the Navi voice. The voice or cursor in the cluster seems to be ahead of the Navi screen cursor.
Ditto. This is exactly my experience and configuration with my "G".

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
When using Beatrice to provide audible directions for me for getting to unfamiliar places, she always tells me where to turn before I get to the turn and the cursor on the screen is usually within 3-4 seconds of me making the turn.

I don't have a problem with accuracy like that and it's not much better in my Corvette which is a DVD based system and 2-3 seconds behind my actual position.

And besides, if I cannot find what I am looking for when I am within 5 meters (~16.5 feet) from where I am trying to get to, then I better stop driving...:D

I for one am perfectly satisfied with the accuracy of the VW MFD and most of it's features...it would be nice to have the ability to find a business using a phone number, I don't get bent outta shape over it.

Just my $.02 worth...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ramon and Newjetta guy

Ramon and John, when you can could you please post your pulse setting and tire circumference???

John, I know you won't be able for a few weeks.

Lito

NewJettaGuy said:
When using Beatrice to provide audible directions for me for getting to unfamiliar places, she always tells me where to turn before I get to the turn and the cursor on the screen is usually within 3-4 seconds of me making the turn.

I don't have a problem with accuracy like that and it's not much better in my Corvette which is a DVD based system and 2-3 seconds behind my actual position.

And besides, if I cannot find what I am looking for when I am within 5 meters (~16.5 feet) from where I am trying to get to, then I better stop driving...:D

I for one am perfectly satisfied with the accuracy of the VW MFD and most of it's features...it would be nice to have the ability to find a business using a phone number, I don't get bent outta shape over it.

Just my $.02 worth...

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
mine is set to 1943 and 8, seems to work fine (but I've only had it running for 24 hours....) (225/40 18's)

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
BlueCTTDi said:
mine is set to 1943 and 8, seems to work fine (but I've only had it running for 24 hours....) (225/40 18's)
I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. Do you know how many times I've tried to remind my self to check my settings? Well, without my numbers I have to say that my nav is pretty accurate. The turn countdown is very accurate. The actual arrow picture on the map does lag a little and can confuse you if the roads are close and the map scale isn't set to the best setting.
After you take a couple of turns I'm willing to bet that the accuracy is very good since it should use the map data to cancel out ranging errors from the GPS. It should use the position of the intersection in the map data to correct the position that the GPS is giving. I wonder if they'll ever add WAAS to the newer systems? It probably isn't worth the cost right.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Installed the new G MFD in my Passat today; Muchas grasiass to the Jedi Master of the MFD for his assistance ;).

Accuracy matches what I had in my Jetta. Within 2-3 seconds after turning a corner, the arrow indicator makes the turn and "catches" up.

My settings are 1930 and 8.

But mine has only been installed for 6 hours; Monday morning will give a better sample on the 60+ mile drive to work and then home in the afternoon; I will post results Monday night.

PS: HIDs Rock!!!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I picked up my New 2006 Jetta today it has an MFD2 Navi installed.......
I thought the Navi in my Passat was good this one is amazing!!
It is DVD based and only uses 1 Disk versus the 8 with my old Navi.

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
My D series is 2282 and 8 and except for the slight lag usually cues the turn as I cross the intersection or pass the freeway ramp threshold. The DVD based systems in my Honda van and MB E320 cdi have gyro's and update a direction change in real time.

The Honda like most non German systems does not have anything like the FIS so viewing information like turn cues is a pain because you have to look away from the road and refocus your eyes on the console when a simple glance downward is all thats needed with the instrument panel mounted FIS.

The Honda does have one very big advantage though. It uses a dual layer DVD-9 to cover the lower 48 and includes all known rural roads in its 9 gigabyte database while allowing you the shortcut of simply entering the phone number of any POI to look it up.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the circumference and pulse settings factor in to the estimated time to destination as displayed on the map window? (I anticipate this answer is yes, of course..) My current location and directions provided seem to work perfectly, even down to the little "countdown" meter to the right side of the FIS screen on the dash (which would normally indicate that it can read my current speed correctly.) I mean, it's accurate to the point that it changes the next instruction within 50 feet of passing a blend line for an exit ramp.

On a 45-mile trip yesterday, it told me that my ETA was 2h 46m. When I got home 35-40 minutes later (don't do the math :) ) it was still telling me 2h 43m ETA.

It's just weird. Is my pulse setting incorrect, or is there some other part of the configuration I need to edit? When I last checked it was 8 in vag-com. Maybe it warrants checking again..

Thoughts?
-mike

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
BlueCTTDi said:
On a 45-mile trip yesterday, it told me that my ETA was 2h 46m. When I got home 35-40 minutes later (don't do the math :) ) it was still telling me 2h 43m ETA.

Thoughts?
-mike
Are you confusing two different settings? ETA is time of arrival, but there is also trip time remaining. If you have your time zone setting correct, you can have it set to tell you at what time you will reach your destination. For your example it looks like 2:46 pm(I'm assuming pm). You can change the setting to tell you how much longer you will be driving for. Which is what I think you thought it was set for. This would provide the countdown.

On another note, I can't check my settings. When I try to get to the menu my system hangs until I turn off the car. I need to hook up vagcom to see if I have any errors.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
hmm.. good point and I'll check that.. although i made the return trip at 2115 so i'm doubting that's it unless the system time is set wrong... ;)

i did originally mean trip time remaining - sorry bout the confusion... my bad.

anyway, i'll give that a go tomorrow. thanks!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DC-TDIWagon said:
Are you confusing two different settings? ETA is time of arrival, but there is also trip time remaining. If you have your time zone setting correct, you can have it set to tell you at what time you will reach your destination. For your example it looks like 2:46 pm(I'm assuming pm). You can change the setting to tell you how much longer you will be driving for. Which is what I think you thought it was set for. This would provide the countdown.

On another note, I can't check my settings. When I try to get to the menu my system hangs until I turn off the car. I need to hook up vagcom to see if I have any errors.
B,

Mine (D-unit) doesn't seem to like the 3+6/flag button thing either. I have to use Vag-com. However, on JoAnn's G-unit 3+6/flag button works fine.

L

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Navi G-unit:

Circumference - 2230 (OEM 16" wheel/tire size)
Pulse - 8