VW Jetta 1.9 TDI PD BEW short pre-glow period

greenzuki

TDI
VW Passat 1.9 77kw TDI PD BKC
Hello,

I'm newbie at TDI. Searched and read a lot of posts, but nothing helped me.
Maybe someone can give me a direction?

For 2 years I had a problem with starting a car. It doesn't matter was it warm or cold. There was a MIL on all the time and in summer/winter glow plug light were on only for a second.

I've tried to do http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=328868 this write up. It really helped me with cold start in summer. No problems. But glow plug light still come on very short. When it is very cold I'm starting to have start problems.

I changed new glow plugs, new fuses, new glow plug relay, new CTS. Nothing helped. When I unplug CTS vag-com shows me -5,9, glow plug light still go off after a second. It didn't help. I cleaned all possible connections, except glow plug harness, which goes on top of glow plugs.

The only code i get from vag-com is

17055 / P0671 code (Cylinder 1 Glow plug circuit (Q10))
17056 / P0672 code (Cylinder 2 Glow plug circuit (Q11))
17057 / P0673 code (Cylinder 3 Glow plug circuit (Q12))
17058 / P0674 code (Cylinder 4 Glow plug circuit (Q13))

It changes all the time, it is cylinder 3 or cylinder 4.

but when I clear it it stays off for about 5-7 start ups. But still no progress in glow plug period.

Tried to change glow plug period through vag-com, but changing values didn't help. vag-com shows 1.61 sec. glow plug period all the time, doesn't matter what I do. I even tried to disconnect fuel temperature sensor, intake air temperature sensor along with CTS didn't change a thing.

Any ideas? In 2 months it will be cold in my country, want to fix this issue.

Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
My guess is you are looking at the wrong thing. Have you checked for possible compression problems?

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
I recommend you to change glow plug harness. If that doesn't work I'd install a custom high current relay to supply current directly to the glow plugs from the battery. That should make sure it starts when cold. Very weird problem you're having.
Good luck

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I recommend you to change glow plug harness. If that doesn't work I'd install a custom high current relay to supply current directly to the glow plugs from the battery. That should make sure it starts when cold. Very weird problem you're having.
Good luck

Why in the world would you do this when there's a perfectly good glow plug module under the cowling that does this already?

Sounds like a great way to start a fire under the hood.

greenzuki

TDI
My guess is you are looking at the wrong thing. Have you checked for possible compression problems?
I didn't. If it was because of compression ratio, wouldn't it be starting bad all the time? Now when it was still summer it started with no problem. Thing is, when it is cold at night now it is harder to start and glow plug pre-heat period is to short.

Why in the world would you do this when there's a perfectly good glow plug module under the cowling that does this already?
Where is this glow plug module?

Still, replace the harness. They're available, cheap, and a common failure point.
Is it available at dealer shop? maybe there is a code for this harness?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
You have thrown enough expensive parts at your TDI already. Try cleaning the GP harness with a good quality electrical contact cleaner. With the CTS unplugged and the ignition switch turned on, take voltage measurements at the harness for each glow plug.

greenzuki

TDI
You have thrown enough expensive parts at your TDI already. Try cleaning the GP harness with a good quality electrical contact cleaner. With the CTS unplugged and the ignition switch turned on, take voltage measurements at the harness for each glow plug.
Okay, I'll try to do this. I'll reply with results.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
The op has replaced everything and more already with no luck. Think of my suggestion as booster cables for his glow plugs. It is my assumption that anyone doing a bypass mod like that would know how to do so safely, i.e. fuses, sheilded looms. As such, no fire hazard would exist. I did a simalar mod to my 81 300SD when the oe glow plug module quit. It worked like a charm. When I pushed the over ride button, the glow indicator would light as well.

greenzuki

TDI
Update.

Today cleaned glow plug harness with contact cleaner. Measured glow plug resistance (all 4 were about 0.2-0.3 ohms). Tried to measure voltage coming to harness, it was 0, when turning on a key (outside temperature about + 15 C). Disconnected CTS, turned on a key, measured voltage coming to harness, it was 5,13 volts in every plug and it lasted for about 30 seconds, but glow plug light in dashboard only lasts about a second.

Now I'm wondering.. I use BERU 0 100 226 227 glow plugs, but I think, that they are 12 volts glow plugs. Maybe I need 5V glow plugs? (if yes, maybe someone knows a code?) I still have my old glow plugs which came with a car from usa code is SD 8272 V11 J7 could'nt find any information about these. Which temperature outside should be, when ECU turning on glow plug heating?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5.13 volts is most likely the correct reading. MY PD measures 5 volts also @ idle. You should have 5 volt plugs, but the 12v plugs should not affect the GP light. I experimented with 12v plugs and do not recall them having any effect on the GP light.

greenzuki

TDI
I'll try to buy 5v glow plugs, to check maybe when it is cold I'll have no more starting problems. Do anyone know code for 5v GP? But still, until it's +5 C at nights and warmer, can't check yet. But glow plug light lasting for 1 sec bothers me. Any ideas?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Find out for sure the required GP for your TDI. My Golf came equipped with 7v, ceramic glow plugs that were superceded two times; first for 5v steelies with an ECU reflash, and again back to another 7v GP. I did not have any of the recalls performed and installed my own 5v steelies which have been flawless for the last 3 or 4 years. I don't know if these recalls were world wide or not.

greenzuki

TDI
I contacted my local VW dealer, they told that there is a recall for BEW engine 28F6 i think. Going to leave jetta on monday. Maybe they'll fix my nightmare...

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
There are other things besides glow plugs that can give you hard starting issues. The engine timing is one, there is a good video on myturbodiesel.com that shows how to adjust torsion value on the PD engines if you have access to Vagcom. I tried to advance my timing to increase fuel economy but the engine took too long to start. Another time my engine coolant temperature sensor went bad and this gave me long starts. If your PD engine has the ceramic glow plugs, you really want to get them out as pieces of ceramic were breaking off & doing engine damage. When the plugs are changed to the newer metal sheathed style, the ECU needs to be reprogrammed because they operate on a different voltage cycle.