Vw extended warranty on HPFP

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Received in mail today letter stating extended warranty for the hpfp

"Warranty Extension for High-Pressure Fuel Pump
Certain 2009 - 2012 Model year VW TDI clean diesel engine vehicles

"...to extend the warranty of the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) in your TDI clean diesel engine vehicle under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date."

"The warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the high pressure fuel pump only if:
your vehicle has a VW approved misfueling guard installed and
only of correct, uncontaminated fuel is present in your vehicle."

"...the dealer will inspect the fuel filler neck for a correct misfueling guard. If the misfueling guard is present, your dealer will then analyze a fuel sample from the vehicle to determine if the correct, uncontaminated fuel is present. Upon confirmation of both the misfueling guard and correct, uncontaminated fuel, the high pressure fuel pump will be replaced at no cost to you, as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limit of this warranty extension."

Hopefully another extended warranty notice will be arriving covering the DMF.

Last edited:

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Great news, the HPFP has always been my biggest concern about the car even though it has a pretty low failure rate. Luckily I fill up at the same fuel station 99% of the time (and keep all my receipts) so if my fuel ever is contaminated I know exactly where to go.

Edit: I also read that there is a mileage cutoff of 120K miles as well. Doesn't seem like enough to me, but it is better than nothing I suppose. I do wonder if VW are still going to help the guys with HPFP failures over 120K miles as they have been doing so far...

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yupp, 10 years, 120k miles.
Too early to speculate if this means the end of fuel system replacement on higher mileage vehicles.

I will maintain a good relationship with my current servicing dealership, and if the HPFP fails, hope they'll stand behind it, regardless of the mileage. If not, guru in Denton will get the job.

koojo

TDI
'12 Golf TDI - Candy White - Manual - Tech Pkg
They mentioned a few criteria in order be qualify for the repair in case you need it. One of them is use of "correct, uncontaminated fuel" and that the dealership will specifically test the fuel in the tank. My question is whether using fuel additives such as those from Stanadyne could be seen by VW as "contaminates"? I doubt it, but just curious if that could be the case.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Received letter from VW today. Might as well throw it in the trash.
LOF and front brake pads this morning - 165K miles
HPFP warranty... worthless.
:(

So the question is... should those of us over 120K replace the HPFP before it $hit$ the bed? With all the problems, this certainly can't be a part that will last forever.

Still using PowerService or Stanadyne since day one!
:)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
my letter came today

right at 146k.

I let them put the fuel adapter in, and took it back the next week to ask them to check it after a fuel jockey on the NY turnpike "topped it off" and sent me on my way with a quarter tank. they yanked it out.

since we really have no idea what really causes the failures, you would be just as likely to cause a failure putting a new pump in than just driving as is.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

So the question is... should those of us over 120K replace the HPFP before it $hit$ the bed? With all the problems, this certainly can't be a part that will last forever.

How long do you think a manufacturer should warranty a part or component? Forever? Somethings just wear out What is the projected lifespan of our current hpfp and what is the mean time to failure?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^read the OP's edited post. There's nothing else of interest in the letter.

Someone has already posted in the NMS area about this, but note that the letter states very clearly, "Warranty Extension for High-Pressure Fuel Pump
Certain 2009 - 2012 Model year VW TDI clean diesel engine vehicles..."

Curiously, Yehaman just posted in the NMS section that he received a warranty letter covering his 2012 PASSAT. I assumed the redesign of the CKRA HPFP, and the very few failures, wouldn't have provoked VAG to extend the warranty on the 2012 Passat.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
^^^read the OP's edited post. There's nothing else of interest in the letter.

Someone has already posted in the NMS area about this, but note that the letter states very clearly, "Warranty Extension for High-Pressure Fuel Pump
Certain 2009 - 2012 Model year VW TDI clean diesel engine vehicles..."

Curiously, Yehaman just posted in the NMS section that he received a warranty letter covering his 2012 PASSAT. I assumed the redesign of the CKRA HPFP, and the very few failures, wouldn't have provoked VAG to extend the warranty on the 2012 Passat.
Gotcha. Edited my post

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Get the 2 micron fuel filter setup, that way when it fails, your limited to just the HPFP.

How long do you think a manufacturer should warranty a part or component? Forever? Somethings just wear out What is the projected lifespan of our current hpfp and what is the mean time to failure?
Long enough to cover a POS fuel system.

colekicker

TDI
2010 JSW w/ DSG HPFP failure at 79K, 137K and clogged DPF
Get the 2 micron fuel filter setup, that way when it fails, your limited to just the HPFP.

Long enough to cover a POS fuel system.
I've been waiting since 10/2013 for a 2 micron setup. As soon as my failure occurred I was trying to get one. Haven't seen anything from him. Guessing I never will and have lost faith.

My JSW had it's failure right at 79K. So now I have 127K on it. This letter does nothing for me, but give me something to get mad about.
These HPFPs should be warrantied for 120K or 10 years from replacement. Those of us that have had to fight the system and got jacked around demanding our VWs get fixed need to be covered for 120K from the repair date. Just leave it at that.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
And how long is that?:confused:
Long enough to cover their POS fuel system. Read much, ;)

I've been waiting since 10/2013 for a 2 micron setup. As soon as my failure occurred I was trying to get one. Haven't seen anything from him. Guessing I never will and have lost faith.

My JSW had it's failure right at 79K. So now I have 127K on it. This letter does nothing for me, but give me something to get mad about.
These HPFPs should be warrantied for 120K or 10 years from replacement. Those of us that have had to fight the system and got jacked around demanding our VWs get fixed need to be covered for 120K from the repair date. Just leave it at that.
Sorry to hear that, didn't know he had a production issue, :(

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
All this does is give VW the word on denying coverage once the car is over 120k.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Has anyone ever replaced the pre-filter just before the HPFP? It's looks easy to change. If you are looking down at the HPFP, look immediately left and there is a small rectangular thing connected to the fuel line. 1 in by 1.5 in and fairly flat. This is the screen and it is after the fuel filter just before the fuel goes into the HPFP.

I would think over time this would slowly clog and cause the fuel pumps to work harder to supply fuel to the HPFP. If something gets passed the fuel filter, this is the last line of defense. I believe the screen is metal, kind of like a gold metal coffee filter. If I can find a picture I'll attach it.

My car is currently valued between $5,000 to $6,300. A HPFP problem at this point would be bad news. Replacing the HPFP with a new one makes sense if I want to keep the car longer. Or sell the car and give the worries to someone else.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My car is currently valued between $5,000 to $6,300. A HPFP problem at this point would be bad news. Replacing the HPFP with a new one makes sense if I want to keep the car longer. Or sell the car and give the worries to someone else.

Trouble is, they fail at low mileage, high mileage etc so replacing it with another one is no guarantee it won't fail sooner or later.

Cruze

TDI
2012 Passat SE
What does this mean for 2012 Passat Tdi owners? Mine has no guard from factory, was not part of the retrofit TSB, and therefore is not covered by wording found in the original post.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
The extended warranty is worthless.

It only covers the HPFP, not the remainder of the fuel system once the HPFP implodes.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The extended warranty is worthless.

It only covers the HPFP, not the remainder of the fuel system once the HPFP implodes.
Yep, it was better if they hadn't done anything, but I guess this is their way of damage control, if you can call it that, :(

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I wonder if we Canadians will get this letter. I had to pay to replace mine just after the bumper-to-bumper warranty as it wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty. Hopefully I can get my money back...

busdrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
09 sportwagen tdi,6spd man. Traded 7/2015 for 14 Allroad.
My wifes got 96k on her 09, which she really loves, but when I told her about the hpfp letter we got today she just shrugged and said matter of fact, " well if it covered the dpf and timing belt then that would be something".
Since we already sprung for a new turbo this year its time to cut our ( future) losses and get out of it.
A new GSW would be nice. This time probably a gasser though. What were they thinking when they put a solid rear axle on the TDI model?? :eek:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Has anyone ever replaced the pre-filter just before the HPFP? It's looks easy to change. If you are looking down at the HPFP, look immediately left and there is a small rectangular thing connected to the fuel line. 1 in by 1.5 in and fairly flat. This is the screen and it is after the fuel filter just before the fuel goes into the HPFP.

I would think over time this would slowly clog and cause the fuel pumps to work harder to supply fuel to the HPFP. If something gets passed the fuel filter, this is the last line of defense. I believe the screen is metal, kind of like a gold metal coffee filter. If I can find a picture I'll attach it.

my guess is that it might be just as likely for a new pump, or screen, or the process to install it, to cause an issue than leaving what is in there alone.

there are many more cars which have not had the hpfp fail than those who have seen a failure.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
traded my 11 in on a 15 GSW. Got good $ in trade. 116K miles. Couldnt ahve done it sooner.

Time will tell if the 2015's have issues. If they do, this will be my last tdi, no matter how mcuh I adore it.

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
All this does is give VW the word on denying coverage once the car is over 120k.
Which means we need a private insurance company to sell an extension to that warranty as long as you wish to keep paying for the policy (or up to some higher limit). Consider, if there is a ~1% chance per year that you will have a $5000 repair, averaged over many cars that is only $50 per year per car, about a tank of diesel. Add a little for overhead and profit, and maybe we're talking $65 per year for a warranty that would give you the peace of mind that you won't have to pay for the entire replacement if you are unlucky enough to have a failure. If you put 15,000 miles on your car in a year, that's less than half a cent per mile. Annoying? Yes. Catastrophic? No.
I normally do not buy extended warranties, because I think over time I'd be better off just paying for the work needed, but I do buy collision insurance because I can't afford to have my car totaled if I'm in an accident. If a known failure point could potentially total my car as it got older, I think I would be willing to pay for a specific warranty for it if I choose to keep it past 120,000 miles.