VW Committed to the Cause of Diesel Hybrids?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Well, for some people it effectively can be. Some companies where I live are incentivizing electric car ownership by installing charging stations in the parking lot. At my work you get unlimited use of them for $15 a month...I'd call that a pretty good deal.
If you live close enough to work to fit your commute inside the GTE's 45-km (depending on which tires you have) real-world electric range, and if you live in a country with tax incentives for plug-in hybrids, then yes.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Well, for some people it effectively can be. Some companies where I live are incentivizing electric car ownership by installing charging stations in the parking lot. At my work you get unlimited use of them for $15 a month...I'd call that a pretty good deal.
Not such a great deal for the rest of us who are forced to carry your road tax burden!

I hope every state soon passes a yearly fee that some have recently passed to get some of the money these road tax cheats owe that they should be required to pay...........

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
200 combined hp and 80 mpg in fantasy dreamland... Unless you count electricity as "free"

It's gonna happen buddy. The diesel will recharge the batteries while cruising. No need to plug in. Also top of car will be full solar power for a trickle charge always.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Not such a great deal for the rest of us who are forced to carry your road tax burden!

I hope every state soon passes a yearly fee that some have recently passed to get some of the money these road tax cheats owe that they should be required to pay...........
Cars have almost no road impact, it's the semis that are the road tax cheats even though they pay: http://bhtooefr.org/blog/2012/03/19...il-is-far-better-for-long-distance-transport/

Also, EVs and PHEVs have less negative externalities in other places, making up for the slight increase in unpaid-for road wear from using one of them instead of an internal combustion vehicle.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

They aren't cheating if they are obeying the law. Don't like the current laws? Work to change them. My employer just installed free charging stations at our work location. They also provided a several thousand dollar incentive to buy an efficient vehicle (pushed the Nissan LEAF). This after moving our location by 35 miles one way for me. Had I taken advantage of this I would be insulted to be called a cheat when I had actually done nothing wrong. Instead I chose the work from home option. I suppose that makes me a cheater in some other way as well. Now bicyclists there are the real cheaters. Eating up our roads and paying nothing. ;)

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Not such a great deal for the rest of us who are forced to follow behind your smoke cloud in your pre-clean emissions More diesels than I can list.

It's all about perspective.....

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Thanks. Not sure I like the slope of the rear hatch. I know it's for aerodynamics, but it looks like it would really cut into the rear volume.
Of course, that's still a "concept". Have to see how the real world model looks. Since I seldom need all the space back there, especially all the way to the roof, it wouldn't be as big a factor for me. :D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Not such a great deal for the rest of us who are forced to follow behind your smoke cloud in your pre-clean emissions More diesels than I can list.
Kinda like using home heating oil to evade the tax. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It looks just like the other "4-door coupe SUVs" out there... Range Rover Evoque, BMW X6, the new Mercedes coupe SUV thing, etc. I don't understand this segment of the market at all but they're apparently becoming quite popular. :confused:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's basically repackaging the hatchback to be taller and worse in just about every way, whereas previous SUVs were about repackaging the wagon in the same way.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The real polluters are not older not regulated diesels that put out larger PMs that fall harmlessly to the ground in short order after being expelled.

The current real polluters are all of the current unregulated nor measured today gasoline powered engined vehicles that expel Mega-Tons of ultra-fine PM that stay in the air being creating brown clouds that are breathed in for months on end!

Picking on older almost non-existent today or on the current overregulated emissioned almost non-existent today sold light duty diesels that today make up less than 1 % of what is sold today creates no cleaner air! But it does create a burden on these fuel sipping models which prices them out of reach of most and increases their cost as to put it so high as to render them irrelevant today to the fuel savings market for what these stupid current over regulated emissions regs cost!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention they do not give one bit of cleaner air for their added cost.........