VR6 spindle in TDI for restoring the suspension geometry?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I need to lower LCA's around 30-40mm for having them at stock angle. Looking spindles pictures, VR6 spindle seems to have the balljoint support lower than the TDI spindle:
VR6

TDI

Can i press in TDI wheel bearing and 4x100 hub in vr6 spindle? will fit the VR6 balljoints in TDI's control arms?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The VR6 LCA, ball joint and spindle are all different from the TDI pieces and must all be used together. The VR6 ball joint has a tapered stud and nut spindle attachment, while the TDI ball joint has a clamped straight shaft. Ball joint mounting angle is also quite different as is the ball joint bolt pattern of the LCA mount.

It would be desirable to have the VR6 pieces because of the increased caster, but I'm not sure that the installed angle of the LCA, viewed from the front, is going to be any different.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
is possible to modify the TDI LCA's for to accept the VR6 balljoints?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The geometry is much different. You will destroy cv joints is you mix and match plus spindles and Tdi control arms. I had a friend who did this.

Now a guy on the vortex did install 4x100 hubs into vr6 spindles. This will require custom axles due to different splines and lengths.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The best way to get your control arms level is to raise the car up or to use a ball joint extended for a race application ONLY.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
The geometry is much different. You will destroy cv joints is you mix and match plus spindles and Tdi control arms. I had a friend who did this.

Now a guy on the vortex did install 4x100 hubs into vr6 spindles. This will require custom axles due to different splines and lengths.
First of all, thanks you guys for answer me.

That Vortex guy is using VR6 spindles on a Golf MK2 4x100hubs(narrow track),isn't? My car has MK3 control arms(wide track) and 4x100 hubs... If i press in my 4x100
hubs in VR6 spindles, i could use my stock axles, isn't?

Looking some pictures of both spindles, i can't see at all why the cv joints will be destroyed, if both cars have wide track LCA's and the wheel position is practically the same...can you explain it to me a little please? I missing some knowledge surely

Thanks in advance!:)

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
can you explain it to me a little please? I missing some knowledge surely

Thanks in advance!:)
Its not the length of the control arms, Overlay a Vr6 and tdi/2L control arm and you will see that one of them has the spindle shifted back. Other then that and my friend's experience with using a vr6 spindle on a mk2 control arm I don't have anything else to share with you.

Why not just upgrade to the plus and go 5x100?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I have my car 25mm lowered, i asked about VR6 spindles for keeping my actual height but restoring LCAs angle to level. If i use the plus suspension parts with the VR6 struts, car height will be raise up a little due stiffer VR6 suspension, and i would have my LCAs angle 25mm out of the stock angle again,due I want having the car 25mm lowered ...but, if i use the TDI struts with VR6 spindles and LCAs? will be the LCAs angle more to level than now? won't be the whole VR6 spindle acting like an extender if i use the softer TDI suspension?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
1. The TDI ball joint will NOT bolt to the VR6 spindle. Only the VR6 ball joint will bolt to the VR6 spindle

2. The VR6 ball joint will NOT bolt to the TDI LCA. Only the TDI ball joint will bolt to the TDI LCA.

3. VR6 spindles, ball joints & LCAs (called Plus Suspension) all bolt together. Use your shorter springs with this combination and you will have lower ride height and more caster but the angle of the LCA probably won't be much different than it is now.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
1. The TDI ball joint will NOT bolt to the VR6 spindle. Only the VR6 ball joint will bolt to the VR6 spindle

2. The VR6 ball joint will NOT bolt to the TDI LCA. Only the TDI ball joint will bolt to the TDI LCA.

3. VR6 spindles, ball joints & LCAs (called Plus Suspension) all bolt together. Use your shorter springs with this combination and you will have lower ride height and more caster but the angle of the LCA probably won't be much different than it is now.

I talked about the third point this time, i understood the other points after your first post.
I can understand your explanations on third point. Seems like the PLUS suspension parts swap 'only' worth for caster improvements and bigger brakes.

I will try to compare both spindles/LCAs in a wrecker...

For the PLUS supension swap, will i need other stuff than LCAs,ball joints,axles and spindles?
I would redrill the VR6 hubs to 4x100 beacouse i want to keep my rims...i have girling60 calipers installed with 280mm rotors, my next brake upgrade will be 4 pot calipers with 305mm 4x100 cupra rotors...

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
There's no need to re-drill the VR hubs. Just press the 4 lug hubs on to the spindles and use your outer 4 lug cv joints but you might need to re-drill the 5 lug rotors. You might not be able to use your stock rotors. 4 and 5 lugs have different rotor offset.

I've done it the other way around. I wanted a 5 lug setup but wanted to keep my 4 lug suspension. I used 5 lug hubs and outer cv joints and had my 4 lug rotors re-drill to 5.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Also there is a difference in the 5 lug 95 GLX from the 96 and 97 GLX. The rotor offset is different. Point as Chris said is to keep sets together. Don't try to mix and match especially 4 to 5 lug. Get the whole assembly from a junkyard and use it but not the springs as the VR6 will increase your ride height and mess with your geometry. The VR6 axles should work. It's a nice upgrade to go with the bigger brakes and you can even use 89 Quattro dual caliper Girling rotors but need banjo fitting brake lines if you go that route. Do it if you really want stopping power. I'm running that setup with Greenstuff pads-sweet.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
There's no need to re-drill the VR hubs. Just press the 4 lug hubs on to the spindles and use your outer 4 lug cv joints but you might need to re-drill the 5 lug rotors. You might not be able to use your stock rotors. 4 and 5 lugs have different rotor offset.
I've done it the other way around. I wanted a 5 lug setup but wanted to keep my 4 lug suspension. I used 5 lug hubs and outer cv joints and had my 4 lug rotors re-drill to 5.
Hi!
are the outer CV joints interchangeable beetween VR6 and 4 cyl. ? If so, then i can use VR6's axles with TDI's outer cv-joints, and use my 4 lug hubs,isn't? I'm a little confused now,somebody said that is needed custom axles for using 4 lugs hubs.
Anyway,
Parts list:
-VR6 spindles
-TDI wheel bearings and hubs
-Vr6 axles with TDI outer cv joints
-288x25mm 5 lugs rotors redrilled to 4 lugs
-Brake lines with Banjo fittings
-VR6 balljoints
-VR6 LCAs
-TDI struts and springs

Is this the correct list to keep my hubs?

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
Hi!
are the outer CV joints interchangeable beetween VR6 and 4 cyl. ? If so, then i can use VR6's axles with TDI's outer cv-joints, and use my 4 lug hubs,isn't? I'm a little confused now,somebody said that is needed custom axles for using 4 lugs hubs.
Anyway,
Parts list:
-VR6 spindles
-TDI wheel bearings and hubs
-Vr6 axles with TDI outer cv joints
-288x25mm 5 lugs rotors redrilled to 4 lugs
-Brake lines with Banjo fittings
-VR6 balljoints
-VR6 LCAs
-TDI struts and springs

Is this the correct list to keep my hubs?

I'm pretty sure that you can fit 4 lugs outer cv joints on VR axles. It would be ideal if you could compare the length, side by side of the tdi and VR axles. If they have the same length, you might be able to use your stock axles and just press 4 lug hubs on your vr spindles. I did it the other way around and it worked great, I don't see why it would not work this way.

Your list sounds about right.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure that you can fit 4 lugs outer cv joints on VR axles. It would be ideal if you could compare the length, side by side of the tdi and VR axles. If they have the same length, you might be able to use your stock axles and just press 4 lug hubs on your vr spindles. I did it the other way around and it worked great, I don't see why it would not work this way.
Your list sounds about right.
Thanks for your help:)