VNT25 install (still shaking)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Well, after years of having a VNT25 from a Dodge Daytona (purchased new), I finally got it installed.

For the last 265,000 miles (of 341,000 total), I have been running a K04. The K04 was great and I had the boost capped at 24PSI. Suddenly the K04 went south (the same time my mother went in for a brain aneurysm surgery, that the doctors screwed up. But she is fine now, well mostly).

Any who, as it turns out the stock intake hose was rubbing and had some holes, and something smashed into the compressor blades which must have thrown off the balance.

For the VNT, I had to make the exhaust manifold, clock the turbo 180*ish. Make an adapter for the exhaust elbow of the turbo, Make a new intake pipe, new intercooler lines and of course a new down pipe.

The exhaust manfold was from an old Carrado. The intercooler pipes I used some real nice 90* bent aluminum pipes from ebay. For the down pipe I used one from a kit for a Honda which was 3" with 2 teal nice 90* bends. I of course had to cut everything up and re-weld where necessary. The down pipe worked out perfect as did the intercooler pipes.

My car still has the stock clutch from day 1 so I was a bit worried about slip but the first few runs worked out perfect. I am running 205's, a pipercross cone, UPsolute FMIC and custom UPsolute program that Rene made for me K04. I replaced the head gasket with a 1-hole and ARP studs as well. For the turbo line I had to restrict the oil feedline and rig up a 5/8" return line to keep oil from blowing out the exhaust LOL.

For the VNT I am using the actuator that came with the VNT25 but had to make a custom mount since the turbo is 180* out. I set the VNT to 0-15psi closed/open and so far it seems to work out great but will be extremely easy to adjust.

For the first run I didn't really get on it since I wanted to "set readiness". When attempting to set readiness, I almost shat myself. In fact in second gear I let off the throttle since I got scared when I saw 26PSI and the car sounded like a freight train :D.

So, for now screw readiness so I tried another run and again let off the throttle in both 2nd and 3rd.

I have driven in TDI's with 216's and nitrous or propane. I cannot say what you all are going to ask, like where are the numbers but IMHO this is the fastest TDI I myself have been in. I will try to get some numbers with a G-Tech but I think it is going to take me a while to get the b@llz to nail it past 3k RPM ;).

If anyone is in my neck of the woods, feel free to stop on in. I will post some more pics when I get the chance but it was a challenge to find the time to get this install done :(. The pics below show some of the stuff and some of it I did not use. It does not show everything of course LOL.

http://meganjoy.org/images/vnt_start.jpg

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
gfunk....what part of WI you in. if you happen to be in the milwaukee area i've been wanting a ride in a nice juiced up tdi.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
I live in Oconto. Look up Smithers and tell him we need to GTG :D.

And I guess I should point out, "fastest TDI I have been in" LOL, don't wanna p!ss off any of the kids ;)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
I wanted to go out and drive it more but I need a clamp for my tailpipe :(.

I went to try and take pics but my car is too low so I will have to wait till I can get it up on ramps again.

In the mean time, here is a pics of my jetboat and my new 1976 Thompson :D

http://meganjoy.org/images/boats.jpg

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hey G. How you been! Come to the West Allis GTG if you can on the 7th of Nov.