Video for GPH replacement?

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Does anyone know if there is a video showing glow plug harness replacement for an 06 jetta TDI or compatible? I'm currently down and my daughter needs the car by this weekend.

I expected something more plug-n-play, but when I received the genuine VW part it is just four loose wires. I'm not certain where the factory harness ends, but what I have been reading is that a splice is mandatory? If so, where the is that supposed to happen at? As always any info is very much appreciated...thank you!

And does anyone know what happened to the DSG DMF failure thread? I want to add that the LUK failed too, but it did last almost 200k longer than the factory piece.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yes, you splice the new harness into the old harness wires. I followed the wires and opened the harness as far back as I could and still have
room to splice. When I spliced, I left a fair amount of wire from the glow plugs and tie wrapped that up, just in case I needed to slice again.

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks tactdi, that's what I did. I then inspected all those wires in between because it was apparent how bad the wires had become.

The gp wires were stiff, but in good shape, so I spliced at the factory connector leaving just enough slack to strip and crimp. It was the other lighter gauge wires in the harness that surprised me. Solid brown wore through the insulation, solid light blue also wore through.

As soon as that first bend hits the wire harness clamp, just a few inches away from the thermoplastic gp harness, VW then only uses a miniscule amount of tape under the black plastic corregated wire loom. It ensures bare spots wherever any of those light gauge wires happen to get pinched and is kinda rediculous.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Thanks Mochaman for that tidbit of info. Would 1 benefit from the proactive action of adding more tape to harness for more protection? Can the location be accessed by hands with a role of tape?