Vibrations and jerking on gear change, unrelated to DMF

gesha19

TDI
mk5 1.9 tdi bkc
Hello, I've looked into various topics from this forum but I was unable to identify the culprit of my issue. Basically, I have vibrations in the low RPMs (until 1400-1500) and while going from a still stop position (disengaging clutch in first gear). Also, shifting through 1st-3rd gear I always have a thrust forward/jerk. As if I dipped the clutch. The whole car shifts forward for a little bit. Letting go of the throttle in first and second gear I also get a big jerk forwards. It's neckbreaking really.

Car is a MK5 Golf, 1.9 TDI BKC, manual transmission. Since honestly I have quite a few questions, I will number them so it is easy for you as well.

I have changed my engine mount at the gearbox. The mechanic advised to change out this partiuclar mount only. If that doesn't fix the issue then we would change the others as well. His opinion was that they are not bad at all. The car felt slightly better, not that much jerking (vibrations still present) but the same problems occured not long after 100 kms.
1) Is it possible that if the other two mounts were bad the new mount at the gearbox had worn out extremely fast?

When revving the engine, there is slight play both radial and axial but it is a maximum of 1 cm. It honestly looks fine for a diesel engine. I have changed the DMF previously, it was fine for a couple hundred of kms but the same vibrations came back very fast. The jerking as well.
2) If engine mounts are bad and there are loads of vibrations, would that wear out the DMF again quite fast?

Letting go of the throttle in the higher gears, RPMs drop for a second then go to where they should be. Example: If I drive with 2000 RPM, it falls to 1800 RPM then goes to 1900 RPM and starts decelerating smoothly as it should. Something else that I've noticed: I tried dumping the clutch in 2200 RPM from first to second gear and the result was a perfectly smooth shift. Symptoms are not always present. I cannot determine when they are gone but sometimes if the car hasn't been driven for a few days.

Please note that the transmission is a 6 speed. It was rebuilt around the time of my clutch work, no more than 15-20 thousand kms. There is no engine chatter, sound doesn't differ if the clutch is in or out, vibrations are also present on idle.

Reading this everything does lead to bad engine mounts but I want to be sure before proceeding with such a repair. Is there another potential culprit for this? I am posting this since my mechanic is convincing me the mounts are fine, but the fact is that my ride is extremely annoying and I am starting to hate my car. I would really appreciate your input, cheers.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Not sure if the bkc is the same, but on my mk5 brm I had a similar problem that was the turbo adjustment. I did the "zip tie mod" and no more problems. Search zip tie mod in the forums and try that.

gesha19

TDI
mk5 1.9 tdi bkc
Hi,

Thank you for your response. The dogbone mount was changed, and just a slight improvement in jerking was noticed. And it didn't last for too long and it went back to normal. Vibrations were not affected and kept being there.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you change the upper mounts, always change both at the same time. If you only change one of them, the one you did not change will be softer from age than the new mount and will flex more putting more of the engine torque on the new mount. Someone posted that they replaced just one upper mount with a stiffer mount and when he was trying to validate his 1/4 mile time the brand new stiffer mount broke.

You could have a boost leak. The symptoms are jerking when you accelerate briskly accompanied by a hissing sound. from the leak. Let me know if you hear a hissing sound and I can help trouble shoot it.

gesha19

TDI
mk5 1.9 tdi bkc
Hi Ol'Rattler,

I am not sure where the upper mounts are at, I assume that the dogbone is not one of them, right? Of course, I would replace them in pairs. I just need to be sure if they are the culprit. Speaking of wear, do you think the dogbone mount I replaced is seeing excessive wear due to (potentially) bad upper mounts?

Haven't noticed a loss of power, nor any hissing. I am on straight pipe so even if there is a leak I could have missed it. Might as well look into this.

Cheers.