vds-pro help??

ttik2k

TDI
2003 golf, 2014 a7
:) i just got my new used 2003 golf tdi (love it):)
recieved my new ross-tech key-com cable with software
found the thread on ccm modile window mod so i said what the hell?? ill try it
found the vds-pro software and off i go .
my ccm module is 1c0 959 799 c i cant access it the vds software just times out i also noticed the led on the cable goes turns from green to red the second i plug it in (when i try vds only) the vag-com software works fine
any ideas????? any input would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
ttik2k said:
my ccm module is 1c0 959 799 c i cant access it the vds software just times out i also noticed the led on the cable goes turns from green to red the second i plug it in (when i try vds only) the vag-com software works fine
thanks
VDS wont work with smart interface from ross-tech. Use plain OBD cable or PM me since you are in Chicagoland

kc5enu

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL 6spd, Blue Silk Metallic
ttik2k said:
thanks
ele28 said:
VDS wont work with smart interface from ross-tech. Use plain OBD cable or PM me since you are in Chicagoland
ele28 seems to be right. I get the exact same symtom (led turns red) when VDS-Pro is running with my Key-Com cable, but won't communicate. Silly, rascally smart interface!:( Time to get another cable.

Best of luck with the mod. I will be trying it when I get my el-cheapo non-Ross-Tech cable. And, I thought I would be better off by getting a Ross-Tech cable. I guess this case the el-cheapo is better. ;)

dieselgti

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JTI 1.8T
kc5enu said:
ele28 seems to be right. I get the exact same symtom (led turns red) when VDS-Pro is running with my Key-Com cable, but won't communicate. Silly, rascally smart interface!:( Time to get another cable.

Best of luck with the mod. I will be trying it when I get my el-cheapo non-Ross-Tech cable. And, I thought I would be better off by getting a Ross-Tech cable. I guess this case the el-cheapo is better. ;)
Yeah, the ross-tech smart cables don't work for this mod. I picked up a cheap cable from ebay and it worked great. My old ISO-COM ross-tech didn't work either. It looks like this seller doesn't have any currently up for auction, but this cable has been tested to work by three people (probably more) on here. Plus it's only ~$22 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280035156789

kc5enu

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL 6spd, Blue Silk Metallic
moondawg said:
???? My HEX-COM worked great.

moondawg
I thought I saw a post of yours stating that in the CCM window thread and that does seem a bit confusing. I guess there is something different in the Hex-Com cable that allows it to work? Maybe, yours is lucky? I am not sure if other Hex-Coms will work, or what the deal is. The fact that the LED on mine and the other persons change to red when VDS-Pro at least shows it is accessing the port where the cable is; the Key-Com cable just doesn't seem to communicate properly for some reason.

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I think the real key to this is getting the right laptop. I tried with three laptops before I got one to work. I ended up using an old Compaq running windows 98 after an IBM thinkpad running windows 98(i think) didn't work or my XP laptop. All three laptops connected in windows using the vag-com software, but only one did in DOS. I can't explain it.

dieselgti

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JTI 1.8T
moondawg said:
???? My HEX-COM worked great.

moondawg
Wow, that's strange! I'm guessing it's a HEX-COM serial cable. I have the USB version and I don't even want to attempt to get that to work. I'm pretty David_594 originally tried with a HEX-COM serial and it wouldn't work, but on the other hand it could have been a combination of other factors that made it not work.

arrowman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex Silver
Obviously, a USB cable won't work in DOS. If you've got a USB cable, you're not going to get it to work. If you've got a serial cable, you've got a chance at gettng it to work, but as we found out last night, it's serial ports in DOS can be a real pain.

I work with computers everyday. Laptops are very strange about which ports work in pure DOS mode. Sometimes windows MUST be loaded to get certain ports/devices to work. My suggestion is to pull the computer/monitor out of your house, put it on a card table, use the real serial port on that (if it has one) and try it with that. The serial port on a PC is much more likely to work in DOS mode. Just use a DOS boot floppy/cd and run VDS off another floppy. Also, make sure you have the correct config file.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
arrowman said:
Just use a DOS boot floppy/cd and run VDS off another floppy. Also, make sure you have the correct config file.
You don't even need to do that. Just do a format a: /s and then copy VDS onto that floppy. the floppy will boot just fine.

moondawg

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I used that chiltons cable and it worked perfectly. Take ele28's offer though, I wish I lived close to him so he could work on my cluster!!

ttik2k

TDI
2003 golf, 2014 a7
ive tried three different laptops one sony and two toshiba still same result but it doesnt matter im just killing time until ele28 gets back in town