VAG-COM HW with other brands of cars

Steve777

Veteran Member
So I have had an older Vag-Com for years, and use it sucessfully with my VW and Audis. However I have a need to pull and reset some OBDII codes on other brands of cars (Mercedes and Toyota). I believe that the Vag-Com HW is compatible with all OBDII cars, but of course the SW is not.

My question is, is there some other SW out there which I can run which will allow me to read and reset codes on other vehicle brands, or generically using the Vag-com plug and serial port HW? It need not be as complete as the vag-com SW is for VWs, I'd just like to be able to avoid going to a shop or Autozone or the like every time I need to check codes on these cars.

Suggestions?

Steve777

Veteran Member
Thanks. Looks like the latest SW/HW (VCDS) handles this. However I have a fairly old setup, back when Vag-Com was the real name for it :), (V311 I believe). Maybe 8-9 years old.

I noticed it has a OBDII option on the menu but I have to admit I've never used it. Perhaps that would serve my purposes. I vaguely recall back then there was talk of some non-Ross SW which would work with his HW and give you a generic OBDII scanner. Just wondering if anyone recalls anything about that.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
My experience with using my VCDS as a generic OBD2 scanner has been about 75%... one car in four seems to not respond.

Current exception, for example, is my Mazda B4000, and I recall reading somewhere that Mazda pickups are in fact a bit picky.

Best bet: try it and see... you may be fine. :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Here is info directly from Uwe Ross on exactly which protocols and non VW cars VCDS can work with.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3728770&postcount=11

Thanks. Looks like the latest SW/HW (VCDS) handles this. However I have a fairly old setup, back when Vag-Com was the real name for it :), (V311 I believe). Maybe 8-9 years old.

I noticed it has a OBDII option on the menu but I have to admit I've never used it. Perhaps that would serve my purposes. I vaguely recall back then there was talk of some non-Ross SW which would work with his HW and give you a generic OBDII scanner. Just wondering if anyone recalls anything about that.
You will not have CAN bus connectivity, so you will be limited to older cars using ISO 9141 protocol.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited: