Used BRM engines & connected DSG's

BrettM

TDI
'06 Jetta, ‘13 JSW
I have an opportunity to get 2 - 2006 BRM engines & DSG's. $550 each for the engine, $350 each for the DSG's. One set has roughly 215k miles & the other roughly 195k miles. Besides mileage, I have no other indications of their conditions.

I've looked around the internet and have seen engines with similar mileage going anywhere from $750 all the way up to $2400!

Would it be wise of me to seize the opportunity to grab these guys? I have a 2006 Jetta with 200k miles and we're about to replace the DMF this week.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why? Yours is only 200k. Unless you need to replace the engine or trans, don't buy it. It'll just sit and you may never even use it. Don't be a hoarder.

BrettM

TDI
'06 Jetta, ‘13 JSW
It's hard not to be a hoarder for myself or maybe others when VW announces no more TDI's. They're only going to get more & more scarce as the years go by.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Brett, If you purchase these & want to sell the alternator mount bracket, please let me know.

bob

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Make sure you take in consideration that the BRM's camshafts will likely need replacement by this mileage if it has not be done.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have an opportunity to get 2 - 2006 BRM engines & DSG's. $550 each for the engine, $350 each for the DSG's. One set has roughly 215k miles & the other roughly 195k miles. Besides mileage, I have no other indications of their conditions.

I've looked around the internet and have seen engines with similar mileage going anywhere from $750 all the way up to $2400!

Would it be wise of me to seize the opportunity to grab these guys? I have a 2006 Jetta with 200k miles and we're about to replace the DMF this week.
That is really cheap for the motors and the transmissions. They are fairly high mileage and you never really know about the condition. I have been considering buying a used DSG and then finding someone to rebuild it as I think mine is going to die soon, (275K miles). Will they sell them separate or is it only motor paired with trans?
For that price I would consider going for it.

BrettM

TDI
'06 Jetta, ‘13 JSW
Invader: Yes, they split them for me. My thinking is that I could always have a spare for when the one in the car craps the bed. For example, buy the best spare, go over it with a fine tooth comb, cam included, and have it prepped for when the installed engine or DSG gives up the ghost. I don't know. I wasn't sure how good of a deal this was and thought I'd get you guys' opinions.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Invader: Yes, they split them for me. My thinking is that I could always have a spare for when the one in the car craps the bed. For example, buy the best spare, go over it with a fine tooth comb, cam included, and have it prepped for when the installed engine or DSG gives up the ghost. I don't know. I wasn't sure how good of a deal this was and thought I'd get you guys' opinions.
I thinking the same thing for my trans. I have already replaced my motor but I would love to find a cheap trans to purchase and have rebuilt and maybe upgraded. If you don't end up deciding to buy both sets, would you mind passing the info on to me so I could see about getting one of the DSG's? PM me if so. Thanks