Upgrading turbo on BEW - new intercooler piping options

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I've decided to get a VNT17 to replace my aging, but still kicking KP39.

I'd like to upgrade the intercooler and lower/upper piping in the process as the stock set up gets hot as it is.

My current turbo outlet pipe will go right into the VNT17 from what I've read, but the pipe flange seems loose and has a lot of oil buildup around the turbo outlet where it connects in. The pipe has never blown off and I don't hear any leaks, but it's obviously letting oil past. I bought a new pipe with new oring seals a while back to see if it would seal up better, but it was just as loose in the outlet, so I returned it and motored on. I guess my kp39 outlet is out of spec or something..not sure how it's possible. Unless it's supposed to be loose?

Question is...what's the best route to go moving forward in getting new SMIC and pipes mounted securely in there?

I see bora has a 2'' std pipe adapter that locks right into the vnt17, that seems like the most clean and sturdy option, but is 100$ just for that adapter :( . fixmyvw has a smaller one, but on his video it looked like the adapter really locked in tight and then can connect up to normal piping.

If I were to keep the factory PD hose, how would that best mate up to new lower pipes? I want to avoid getting a 1.8 pancake or anything that looks hacked in.

I'd like to get something mounted up as clean as possible to a darkside or idparts lower / upper IC kit.

I will order the turbo first and if my original outlet pipe is loose in the vnt17 outlet, I'll want to replace it, otherwise open to ideas on how to reuse it and not cut it apart.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas...

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
It's all or nothing with the BEWs.. You either replace it all (Including IC) or you leave the stock stuff in place.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Not much to gain unless your really going all out with the mods. IMO.

When I installed the VNT17 in our BEW wagon, I also put in the larger "Taco Taco" intercooler. Used the turbo hose from the BEW, and the pancake pipe from an ALH. Plug and play.

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the feedback, I figured it was likely overkill to get a full on piping kit. I will be moving to south florida soon though and mostly want a more efficient intercooler to go with the new turbo. The tacotaco or darkside is what I had in mind installing.

Looking closer at the Darkside kit now, it actually comes with a turbo outlet adapter which I didn't realize, so the bora adapter is not needed.

I emailed them to see if I could just purchase their piping and source the IC here to save some $ on both the kit and shipping. I can't tell if their lower pipe will come right up to the turbo outlet or if I'll need a rubber/silicon hose in between.

How did you join the turbo hose to the pancake pipe? Silicon coupler with clamps?