Upgrading to Audi 2004+Autodimming/compass/temp mirror

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Hey guys...
i'm going to upgrade my mirror again...
Today after several windshield appointments (just some bad coordination) i went back to the stock front windshield...why...because the Audi mirror uses the same stock mount as the non-rain sensor one in VW.

i had alredy performed this rain sensor/antidazzle mod but any way....
link to old post on vortex - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1674560

The pics in this post show the Pre 2004 mirror.
The new ones are like the new VW ones with the big canceling button in the centre and bottom leds but the compass is now "Hidded" behind the mirro glass - no visible cutout...
anyways...
the purpose of this exercise is to see if anyone can assist me in figuring out the designations of all the wires on the Audi mirror.

it alredy works with my current set up left from the rain sensor upgrade but there are still wires remaining there that i would like to try and figure out what they do and possibly wire up.

my guess so far is..

1. controling the dimming of the outside mirrors
2. tempreture display - interior and exterior sensors wired up???
3. and Auto-head lights on/off

i need to find out the specific diagrams somewhere....

i've been doing alot of interior work lately but i have no source for Audi wireing...

i know i'll need to get some pics up..

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
OK ...the new (old style) windshield is in.
Mirror is installed but i took pictures of the wires...i'll upload from home later....i'm on the road.
So perfect fit - plug and play with my previous mod.
Got the compass callibrated too (similar to ESP calibration) driving in circles for 3 45 sec laps...
can't do anything with the temp reading...
so wires...
i have a 6 pin connector on the mirror with 6 wires
and same connector from old mirror with 3 wires...

i know one is ground, one power and one for reverse gear cancelation..

on the new one i'm missing the dimmer wire so i can illuminate the button and dim the compass (it's on but doesnt dim)
that makes 4

atleast one of the others is for temp reading...maybe somehow spliced with the outside temp sensor because in the calibration manual it's supposed to give warning for -38f for ICE ...

i'll update later

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Update....
OK in the initial post i forgot to mention that the Audi mirror 2005 UP has more than 2 light sensors..
it has 3 !!!!
one on the front for the day/night light , one on the back(inside car) for rearview and one on the piece that petrudes above the mounting location...guess that one senses the same as the day/night one except it's a triger for the Auto-lights !!!!!

I parked in a covered garrage...as soon as i pulled in the button (wich i thought i needed a dimmer wire to power it up) went lit...i wander if i can tap into my euro switch at the park lights possition to make this into Auto mode ...the mirror also activated itself in the garage ( went to half dark ) WITHOUT the headlights to be on!!! (you know how they need to be on in order to start the dimming sensors)....when i open the door and the interior lights right next to the mirror turn on...it goes pitch black ...

Also nice feature is that it has the same blue tint as my euro convex outside mirrors :)

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
hmm... this sounds really interesting/promising... I'm not interested in a rain sensing mirror, but if this provides a means to get outside air temperature, I'd be a happy dubber.

I think I'm a bit confused, though, on what wiring is required - I guess you already had some of the necessary wiring done as part of the rain sensing mod? I guess that's what you're in the process of determining, too...

- 12v power (from light switch, according to the Vortex thread)
- Ground (existing pin in map light/sunroof console)
- OAT sensor - do you have a temp sensor, i.e. part of the FIS cluster, or as a "direct" connection?
- Reverse cancellation - how does that function, and where is the wire run?
- Dimming
- Auto lights on/off - that must be one of the other wires, no? Any luck sourcing diagrams?

What was your source/$ for the mirror? I presume/hope it is available in grey... :D

edit... this is it, right?
http://www.audiparts.us/showproduct.php?product=41

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
What make is the mirror- Donnelly or gentex? Some of the wiring might match the more generic units.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Man why did you have to show me this??? I would really like a compass in the mirror... I have one stuck on my windshield right now anyway.

Any idea about the cost of the mirror?

-Jason

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
compu_85 said:
Man why did you have to show me this??? I would really like a compass in the mirror... I have one stuck on my windshield right now anyway.

Any idea about the cost of the mirror?

-Jason
At 1st VW Parts it is $501.22.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
sorry i've been quiet..just got back from Impex Fest ..and was very busy there...not sure if any of you following this that were there and know my car....maybe you took a sneak peek...

i'll get to this tomorrow hopefully

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
From Mitocorp:

I just rec’d your e-mail…our mirrors will not fit on the existing mount on your windshield. If you try to remove the existing mount, you stand a good chance at breaking the windshield. You can either put a GM button kit on next to the mount already on your windshield and mount our mirror on that, or you can try taking your vehicle to a glass shop and having them remove the mount for you. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to take that mount off of the windshield yourself!!! It could lead to a costly repair!!!

If there’s anything else I can do for you, just let me know! Thanks!

Kristin DeWulf
Mito Corporation
Aftermarket Sales Representative

800-433-6486 ext. 267
574-522-5480 - fax
kdewulf@mitocorp.com

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
WV has their own special mount (like everthing else on these cars) any way I have been using the Mito mirror for about 8 years first on my Passat now one on My Jetta. I just mount the GM mount as close as I can to the VW one ( I never have had any shop that would try to remove the VW one) I have dark tint across the wind shield which starts just above the mounts and no one ever says anything about seeing two mounts on the windshield I paid less then 200$ going this way and I like the auto dimming and the compass features. I also have the temp on it but since I have a Temp guage built into the cluster I use that one most of the time and have the compass on all the time on the Mito rearview mirror.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Mirror is Gentex
Audi p# is 8E0 857 511 A 4PK - (4PK for Black)

the long awaited pictures...

same plug like for rainsensor mirror - bad pic

white,black,,,....something above

looks like yellow , brown, green...on the other side pic above

these go to the auto light sensor

see the 3rd sensor...

off - hidden compass screen

on

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
what is really weird is that my old rain sensor mirror has the same color wires in it...and ALL 6 OF them too...but only 3 are used...what are those for i wander and mine was the 1999.5-2001 style ...without leds and other crap

i might just end up going to a Audi dealer and ask them for a copy of a wire repair bulletin from ...was it ELSA or whatever...

also they must have swaped spaces in the connector - because it doesn't cancel it self anymore in reverse....
my old one worked perfect before it died

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
perhaps we can now connect the dots with this thread...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=50973

Sorry about the crappy pics....i took them and never checked them out..no time...then i had my windshield appointment and i installed it...i'll go and write everything [the colors] down by pin number...

also i still have my old rainsensor mirror...might sell it after the investigation...have a spare relay too...only keeping the sensor itself

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I just installed this exact mirror in my 2003 Golf. As specified earlier in the post, the cover needs to be trimmed a 1/4 inch to meet up with the headliner. In my case, I pushed the edge of the headliner towards the rear of the car in order to get a very snug fit.

I found some info on wiring this thing.
Pin 1 = switched 12v
Pin 2 = Ground
Pin 4 = When grounded will undim the mirror (I'll try to connect this to my reverse lights)
Pin 6 = same thing as 4, will hook this to the W8 lights somehow so it doesn't dim the mirror when the interior lights are on.

I bought this to have a compass, but I have to say that the auto dimming feature is the real standout with this mirror. It's cool to see the lights behind you go to a greenish tint, then fading as the lights behind get brighter.

TDi110

Veteran Member
weedeater said:
Could two of the wires be for left/right rearview mirrors?
Yes, the wires go to the dimming side view mirrors, so that when the interior rear view mirror dimms the side mirrors dimm as well. The side mirrors are loads of £££££££ or in your case $$$$$$$$$, not sure if the VW's had them but I know the Audis did.

Loads of £££ for dimming and heated side mirrors.:eek:

eyeguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
I'm looking at getting one of these, but I'm going to try to fit my Parrot screen into it. I've gotta find a way to scrape the back of the mirror so the screen can be seen. I won't need the temp display, so hopefully I can fit the screen there. I'll just have to find a way to seperate the Parrot display from the controls and find a place to mount the control. Might as well find a place to V-1 display too.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
PM me if you're looking for a mirror, the guy I bought it from here in Quebec has a few of them. He does interior conversions for Audi's and Black is the color everyone wants...he has gray and beige mirrors available.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
mtltdi said:
I just installed this exact mirror in my 2003 Golf. As specified earlier in the post, the cover needs to be trimmed a 1/4 inch to meet up with the headliner. In my case, I pushed the edge of the headliner towards the rear of the car in order to get a very snug fit.

I found some info on wiring this thing.
Pin 1 = switched 12v
Pin 2 = Ground
Pin 4 = When grounded will undim the mirror (I'll try to connect this to my reverse lights)
Pin 6 = same thing as 4, will hook this to the W8 lights somehow so it doesn't dim the mirror when the interior lights are on.

I bought this to have a compass, but I have to say that the auto dimming feature is the real standout with this mirror. It's cool to see the lights behind you go to a greenish tint, then fading as the lights behind get brighter.

Hi,
whooot nice job^^
Great info for pin 4 & 6
i assume u did reverse to 4 already
where did u tap 6 into exactly..i have w8 console too

Oh and yea im alive and well
my first post back here from over 6 months
after i sort of lost my inspiration due to my neighbour t-boned my beloved

And yes it took me over 1 year to locate my mirror as i desired black.It was Ultra hard for me to find it and cost me about 250$+ship

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't wire my reverse or interior light cancel but maybe I'll have a chance this weekend. I'll post back here with my findings.

Thanks again for the part #'s. :)

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The reverse light has does not use negative ground, therefore I needed to switch the polarity using a relay to get the ground when the back-up lights are on. I'm sure there's a much easier and elegant way to get this to work but it's fine for me. The mirror undims when I switch the car in reverse, this should be practical when I'm parallel parking.

Here's how to switch polarity using a +12v trigger to give ground to the mirror. (Thanks to www.the12volt.com)

pin 87 - to Audi mirror harness wire 4 or 6
pin 86 - to + trigger (RF on drivers side taillight wiring plate)
Pin 30 & 85 - To Ground

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
autenje said:
Can I ask what you ended up using for this?

Thanks
If you're asking me..I used the exact thing that I posted above. A relay to switch polarity and give the mirror a ground signal when I put the car in reverse.

btw: I bought my mirror from ebay user germanindustries inc ase anyone is looking for one. Mine was in great shape, and cost me about $100.

Last edited:

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I think he means the temp sensor... easy to miss in the subject line. Does the mirror you got also report the outside temp (if connected...)?

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware of a temp feature, I thought it was just compass and autodim. We'd have to ask someone with an S4 I guess.

Mike Solo

TDI
None, 2004 R32
My 2004 R32 came with rain-sensing and anti-dazzle already, and my OE navi has a compass, so really I'd be gaining just ambient lighting with this upgrade, and it's quite expensive for that.

That said, I wonder how easy the swap would be, given that I think I have the same mirror base.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Tips to remove the old mirror

I just picked up one of these Audi mirrors and I was wondering if anyone had any tips about removing the old mirror w/o busting the windshield. My Bentley says to turn counterclockwise and pull down to remove it. Is this the right way to go?

Thanks,

Bob

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
that's how I took my mirror out, I was scared to crack the glass, but it came off very easily.