Upgrading the stock CR150 turbo

Lopezn1

TDI
2015 Golf
Has anybody upgraded the stock turbo on our cars? I would like to eventually get some form of turbo upgrade but don't want to spend $1,000+ I was looking on Xman turbos and it appears they have a stock Bosch Mahle BM70b turbo (CR150) that they upgraded to 51mm over stock 46mm. But then that got me thinking, if they upgraded the stock turbo and are reselling an entire turbo, then there must be a way to upgrade the turbo by yourself and save some $$ but I haven't been able to find much online and was wondering where to start, or if anyone has done it in the past. TIA.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
You're not going to upgrade your stock turbo without a ton of specialized equipment to enlarge the housings to accommodate that larger compressor wheel. The best upgrade to stay with stock emissions is the CR190 or CR190 hybrid (56mm comp. wheel). The latter would benefit from upgraded injectors to reduce EGT and get a little more out of the 56mm sized wheel. Your stock injectors are only good for around 200whp. GTD (Euro spec) injectors are more than enough, but not going to be in your budget.
CR190 or hybrid, and call it a day. You'll need a tune as well obviously, and if you have a manual transmission will need to keep low end torque in check to save your clutch and DMF or you'll be replacing that as well in no time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
cheap power runs out after just a flash, better dig into your pocket book once you want more power.