underside plastic cover necessary?

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Hey gang,

Our stable has expanded - we've just added a 2000 Golf TDI along side our 97 Jetta TDI.

This week Toronto had its share of the big snow storm. While driving along the snow ruts before plows had cleared this particular street, I drove over a high pile of snow which left the underside plastic cover hanging loose.

My trusted mechanic tells me it's a $300 replacement cost. I'm thinking "what? $300 for a piece of plastic?"

So, my questions are:
- can't I just remove it and go without? (my trusty A3 didn't have this thing)
- anyone know anywhere in Toronto where I could get one cheap? (I assume I can just install it myself, since I've gotta get through it in order to do an oil change).

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Stampfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Beetle GLS TDI
One of its functions is to muffle sound from the diesel engine. Without it, the engine might sound louder. Depends on how much you care about this or not.

My current custom skidplate has holes in the bottom to dissipate heat, and it is noticeably louder than with the factory plastic one.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Thanks guys. I wondered if it had any real mechanically protective value, or if it protected the engine from damage per se.

I will try to have it repaired first. Or, perhaps, get lucky and find one at a junk yard (yeah, right, I won't hold my breath).

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
It's primary function is to smooth the airflow of the underbody. It's curvature is for aerodynamic reasons as well I believe.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
nicklockard said:
It's primary function is to smooth the airflow of the underbody. It's curvature is for aerodynamic reasons as well I believe.
It also lifts and supports when there is snow on the road. Well, maybe not really support, but I just like the visual I get when I say that.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You guys who aren't under them all day don't know. KEEP SOME KIND OF A PLATE! And the skirts. Especially the right side skirt. Without them the belts get TRASHED! And the TB is right there under a thin cover with no seals. The sand, salt. debria really wear on components. Yes they do help air flow, yes they help noise a lot, yes they keep heat in during the cold.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Never had a plastic skid plate and my TB and the rest of the components found inside the timing belt cover were in MINT condition after 220K..

No trashed belts here... no trashed anything to be honest.