Unbelievable!

JTC

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
I just hit 8500 miles on my DSG thats less than 3 months old.

In my daily commute of 50 miles (each way), MFD is starting to display low 50's at an average speed of 60mph. When I road trip, I only hit 45 on the MFD at an average speed of 70 MPH. This is where I wish for the 6MT.

GenoBluzGtr

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Okay... first long trip w/ my Jetta (1000 mile round trip from Maryland to South Carolina and back. On the way down (Good Friday), way too much traffic to give it a fair shake. Lot's so of backups and stop-n-go... but still averaged 42 mpg...

Today, on the return trip, I did everything I could think of to improve mpg.... drafting large trucks (maintaining a safe distance, of course), using "hypermileing" when feasible and cruise control alternatively. I got the "avg" mpg indicator on the MFD to read 50.0 four times and 50.1 once (even snapped a couple pics w/ cell phone for proof to a couple of my "hybrid" buds). Once I got several dozen miles into the trip, I had worked it up to the upper 40's, it stayed around 48 +/- 1.5 mpg.

I did have about 30 miles of city driving before getting onto the interstate, and when I filled up just prior to getting home, the mileage calculation was 47.307 mpg (492 miles on 10.4 gallons of fuel) That included 3 stops for restroom breaks and food).

I kept the RPM between 1500 and 2300 as much as possible, which meant running less than 70 mph (VERY hard for me to do! ), but using the "instant mpg" indicator as a guide, it seemed to make a difference.

I'm pretty pleased with this performance, and realize it takes some dedicated "geek perspective" driving to get those last 3-4 mpg out of it, but I'll take it!

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on my mileage, fuel, fillups, etc... even keeping track of where I get each tank. I'll make the move to the "Fuelly" software soon enough, but this way I've got history to input.

Back to commuting tomorrow morning (54 miles each way, southern MD to Arlington VA), so my next challenge is to keep the commuting avg over 40 mpg... wish me luck!

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Bump to bring back the happy thread.....

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
Almost 2k from my 20k service as well. Then comes my Unitronic stage 1 tune!

GR8GIFT

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG LE
Well I just went on a 3700 mile trip from Nebraska to Florida was gone about 12 days. Average was about 40.6 mpg. My figures, I never pay much attention to exact fillups usually round up to nearest 25 cents after the pump shuts off, or it may have been a little better. Went with my brother and we typically averaged 5+ over the limit. So most of the trip was in the 70-79 mph range. Gps told me my moving average for the trip was 60 mph. I'm very happy with my DSG tranny and mileage.
My other diesel is a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins 4X4.
My brother drove from SE Georgia to NE Kansas. I picked him up for the trip there. We spent less on the trip than he did driving his 3/4 Ton 4X4 Chevy Duramax Allison Tranny just from SE GA to NE KS one way.