Unbelievable!

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I just checked your location, off course living in that area manual just right for you try to be in traffic every day for couple hours!1500$ fee??? *** where you get this numbers???who gonna bought from dealer for like 5 years old car???
I drove a manual transmission every day for five years in stop and go traffic (usually ~2 hours worth of traffic), and I don't regret the manual for a second.

After my last vehicle (2010 Tucson auto-only in AWD), I went back to the manual for the TDI... I don't, and won't ever regret the decision.

As for the cost of an auto, up until a few years ago an auto-trans was typically $1200 or more.

Sinetv

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW 2013 Audi Q7 TDI
Wherether it's TDI perfect car in both transmission. I spend 6-8 hours a day in car, just I don't know how I will feel after using manual.

onehandman

TDI
2012 jetta
seems like there are alot of discussions on dsg vs. manual, i went with the dsg. when i leave for work at 430 in the morning i hated shifting gears lol(sometimes i'd forget in my sunfire lol). Secondly i have the capability to do the transmission service intervals on my car when the time comes. so hoping that saves me some money there. The laggy on take off doesn't bother me at all, just takes a little time to get use to. i mean it isn't a conventional auto trans :). Its all about personal opinion. i think ya i do wish it had a little taller gear for highway, but i got over 600 miles on my last tank of fuel which wasn't quite city but nothing close to highway so i'm extremely happy.

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Fuel (note not gas) mileage experience

I now have just over 12,000 miles on a 2012 TDI Jetta- 6spd, getting in moderate traffic 42 to 49, depending how I drive. If I am careful and shift appropriately easy to get better that 47, if I step on it - it is always more like 40-42.

Can easily get 50+ using cruise control and staying at 65MPH on long trips from Illinois to Texas

I love the car, just wish VW would step up and admit the engineering mistake on the intercooler and fix it for all with a recall. Toyota and Honda both ignored issues like this and in time lost BIG. VW will also - VW are you listening.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Were talking like. 200 rpm difference here guys ... I got 51 mpg today on my way home in my dsg ;)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Were talking like. 200 rpm difference here guys ... I got 51 mpg today on my way home in my dsg ;)
Well hate to burst your bubble but your fuelly dont paint the same picture so you got 51 mpg for what 60 miles?....highest tank on your fuelly is 43, crap my lowest hasnt been that low even in winter..and i have a few OVER 700 mile tanks at 49-51mpg

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
We will see my friend ' this is the first warm season with my car starting to break in . My 43 was in a north east December with probably 9k on the clock and I really dont baby it too often.... I got 51 today on a 30 mile stretch and it would have been better if the freeway didn't clog up with a flipped semi. I had to get off the freeway amd into congested stop and go traffic with lights and all and still got 50 on my 75 mile commute.... Why do you think the 6m will get soo much better mpg ? I can shift my dsg at 2k if i want too.... No torque converter to foul things up either .....I'm just reporting my findings as a new tdi owner and my fuelly in the next years will report a more accurate picture:p BTW where is your fuelly ? You post your mpg but no stats for the public to view ...

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Im to lazy jared to be honest with you lol

You pull this off with your dsg then ill talk..Why do i think manual is better...well one lower rpm cruise 200 rpm does matter, Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to fix...Oh and i dont have to worry about take off lag, jerking or not one clutch failing but 2 lol.

Vw manuals have always been better then their autos and are bullet proof.

Last edited:

Sinetv

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW 2013 Audi Q7 TDI
Question? Anyone have DSG failed in the last years on cars let's say from 2009 to 2012????

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
You mean aside from the whole issue of dropping into Neutral for no apparent reason, while driving at highway speeds? There have been two recalls for that issue alone, not to mention the issues that haven't been recalled that are constantly popping up...

Prefer to stick with my 6MT, thanks.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't say it was better and I know it's more expensive .. All I can see by your fuelly is that you hypermiled to the extreme for 4 tanks.. Hope your dpf lasts ;)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
actually didnt hyper mile, and i have a very heavy foot...my car sees 4k or more every day i drive it...and ive had it over 200k/hr more then once

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i do lol..my sister has a 2012 and she cant touch my mpg with hers (also 6mt) but she babies it...i keep telling her to drive it harder but she wont lol. I also tow trailers with quads, sleds and stuff...My exhaust filters shouldnt clog...at least by the time my warranty is up at which point they will be removed anyway.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I find if I just do the speed limit and briskly accelerate I he the best results . Keep in mind this was on the mfd . I haven't seen a 51 mpg tank .. Yet :) . I'm taking a road trip down to Florida this week and can't wait to see what she can really do on an extended highway trip (avoiding shell fuel):p . Driving 70-80 mph will def hurt mpg's. if I'm trying to get really good mileage I keep the speed limit +\- 5 mph based on road grade.

Nighteyes

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Not sure what year you compared the rpm difference, but for the 2012's its actually about 500 rpms at 75 mph. I just test drove both for a couple days each. The manual was pulling 2k rpms and the DSG was at 2.5k rpms.

Honestly I struggled with the decision. I liked the DSG for no-lag shifts. Ok it lags a bit at launch but every other gear is quite speedy shifting. And in sports mode you don't even have to take your foot off the pedal. But my commute is 80 miles per day and 70% of that is highway driving, so it was hard to justify the DSG in my case. If I had more city driving I think I might have gone the other way. They must be selling alot of DSGs because at my dealer of the 10 TDIs in the lot, only 2 were manuals.

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I finally got a chance to drive out of town with the tdi to vegas. It will be interesting to see how far I can go until my next fill up. Thanks to the tailwind plus some drafting, I feel I can make it all the way to 800 miles, but I'm now driving mostly city around downtown vegas and wind gusting @ 40mph. This car really impresses me even more. It's perfect for cross-country driving.

I had to fill her up sooner than expected as I leave Vegas this morning since D2 is at $4.199/gal (cheaper than CA). My fuel consumption this week was a staggering 58 mpg. This includes work and Vegas trip altogether. My MFD showed an avg. of 61mpg throughout the Vegas trip consistently.

Last edited:

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Here are the stats for my car:

7048 miles. Average MPG 43.87 Cost per mile .09
Average miles per tank (12 fillups) = 587.4

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Says who--your instrument panel?

I regularly get 51-56 mpg according the computer. Real mileage is considerably lower. 200 RPM is 10% of 2000. So one might argue there's a 10% fuel penalty in top gear on the DSG. I know there are other factors.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > Jetters TDi
How am I getting this much out of this car, and driving through So Cal traffic?​
If I may suggest, take actual figures from the last 5 times you will up, you will come up with a considerably more accurate figure.

As to a one-time reading, consider there will be a 2-5% error on the screen.

Regardless, you're getting very good figures from the screen, congratulations.

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
If I may suggest, take actual figures from the last 5 times you will up, you will come up with a considerably more accurate figure.

As to a one-time reading, consider there will be a 2-5% error on the screen.

Regardless, you're getting very good figures from the screen, congratulations.
I don't rely on the MFD because of this error. I go by the actual miles each tank and divide that by how much fuel I actually filled up.

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
I had a deal worked out and had my heart set on a manual. I was at the dealership to take delivery of my 6 speed and changed to the DSG at the last minute. I am kinda kicking myself for switching to the DSG. I love the car and the transmission is great, just not feeling the $450 to service it every 40,000. Thinking since these hold there value so well, I may trade it for a manual right before the 36,000 mark.

GenoBluzGtr

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Only had mine for a little while, but I drive tons of miles. I have noticed that if you keep the RPMs between 1600 and 2200, it maximizes the mpg... that's about 50-65 mph in 6th gear, so if you are relegated to those speeds (or the equivalent speeds for lower gears in traffic), I believe it.

it IS difficult to do 60 on the freeway when the Speed Limit is 70 and all other cars are going 80+, so I am averaging about 42-44 mpg. If I could force myself to keep the Tachometer in the "Sweet Spot", I wouldn't be surprised at 50-ish.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Bingo !!!! I just took a trip from NJ to FL and for the first tank I got 51.8 mpg on my dsg keeping it beetween 55/65 depending on road grade.