TXV bolts - how tight?

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5spd 2002 TDI Sedan Auto
The torque specs are readily available but the problem is just like it is many times in that it is difficult to get a torque wrench in there.

Last time I tightened to what I thought was reasonable only to ruin one of the 4mm cap screw heads. I can tighten the bolt just fine but can't remove it without using vice grips.

I am waiting for new bolts from ID parts but I would like to get the car up now as I have too many other projects and not much time. I am willing to tighten the trouble bolt and keep the new bolts handy for my next adventure.

How do you know how tight to go on these bolts without ruining the bolt heads? I am not always very good at tightening by feel.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Not very. The only point is to prevent them from backing out; the seals are made by O-rings, NOT the tension of the bolts. Beware as darn near everything is aluminum you're going into and it WILL strip (or worse, crack!) as well.

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
Alrighty, thanks. I just encountered another stoppage which will certainly allow me to wait for the bolts.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - things like that, look at threads on your screws (small 4mm screws with fine thread pitch) and what you're threading into (aluminum) and think "inch-pounds" not "foot-pounds".
Fingers on the wrench, maybe wrist...but definitely not putting your arm into it.

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah - things like that, look at threads on your screws (small 4mm screws with fine thread pitch) and what you're threading into (aluminum) and think "inch-pounds" not "foot-pounds".
Fingers on the wrench, maybe wrist...but definitely not putting your arm into it.
I am going to go with the finger/wrist/arm idea. Thank you.