Twinging and a Twanging

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
My serpentine roller is twinging and a twanging as Prairie Poo would say. I believe someone on the Forum, said you could replace just the free spinning wheel instead of the whole assembly. Its making all kinds of of racket

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You sure it's not the little shock that's shot? That'll make the wheel look pretty bouncy.
I guess it's worth a try. I did see just the wheel on ebay made by "ISUMO" for $15, but I'm not sure I'd trust it.
If you go that route let us know how it goes!

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
You sure it's not the little shock that's shot? That'll make the wheel look pretty bouncy.
I guess it's worth a try. I did see just the wheel on ebay made by "ISUMO" for $15, but I'm not sure I'd trust it.
If you go that route let us know how it goes!
Surprised I didnt get more replies on this one. I thought someone on the forum said they carried an extra roller with them in case it failed.
Before I replaced this one , that little counter weight was rattling and sounded like it had steel bird shot in there . When I grabbed it it you could tell it was rattling. I replaced the whole assembly.
When I changed my oil last I was right under the car when it was running and it is definitely the small wheel rattling and a twinging and twanging.
I just want to know if you can replace that wheel w/o replacing the whole assembly? The whole assembly is wobbling like crazy , seems like it should be more stable

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
So you've replaced the tensioner twice now? Often the alternator pulley goes bad and wears out the tensioner prematurely, have you checked that?
Alt pulley should freewheel in one direction and lock up in the other.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
So you've replaced the tensioner twice now? Often the alternator pulley goes bad and wears out the tensioner prematurely, have you checked that?
No, just once a year ago or so the belt broke because the wheel seized up. So a road side repair we bought the whole assembly and belt . Now a year later the wheel is rattling like crazy and the tensioner assembly is really flopping around.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
No havent checked the alternator pulley. Everything seems to be okay except the tension assembly wobbling around

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
The assembly can only wobble if the 3 bolts that hold it are loose. Stripped threads in that location are common.
Well today I looked at the tensioner. Turned the wheels all the way to the right . Positioned my self under the car the best I could with creaking bones and old injuries from when the little wifey broke a wooden chair over my head.. Anyways Grabbed whatever I could and nothing seemed loose. Got back up. Started the car and looked straight down the tensioner. The free spinning wheel with the 16mm bolt is spinning in an elliptical orbit. Seems unusual , dont know if that is normal , doesnt seem like it should be like that. This assembly is only about a year old. . Also grabbed the counter weight piece and wrenched it around by hand its rattling, Idont know if thats normal. Someone said on the Forum that they carried an extra spare wheel to replace those when they went bad .
Any input would be helpful, Thanks.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Well today I looked at the tensioner. Turned the wheels all the way to the right . Positioned my self under the car the best I could with creaking bones and old injuries from when the little wifey broke a wooden chair over my head..
You must have really pissed her off!
Anyways Grabbed whatever I could and nothing seemed loose. Got back up. Started the car and looked straight down the tensioner. The free spinning wheel with the 16mm bolt is spinning in an elliptical orbit. Seems unusual , dont know if that is normal , doesnt seem like it should be like that. This assembly is only about a year old. . Also grabbed the counter weight piece and wrenched it around by hand its rattling, Idont know if thats normal
None of that is normal, perhaps the part was CRAP, perhaps a bad alternator pulley trashed it, perhaps both.
Someone said on the Forum that they carried an extra spare wheel to replace those when they went bad .
I suspect they meant the plastic idler wheel between the AC compressor and the alternator. The tensioner is normally replaced as a unit.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
OK . Thanks for the reply . Thats what I thought a cheap, defective part . Yes thats what I think the the idler pulley. I will just replace the whole assembly with a better brand if there is such a thing. Well, just because I cozied up to her sister , doesnt give her the right to rearrange my facial features.
Remember that song "Put another log on the fire" by Tompall Glaser

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI

None of that is normal, perhaps the part was CRAP, perhaps a bad alternator pulley trashed it, perhaps both.
I suspect they meant the plastic idler wheel between the AC compressor and the alternator. The tensioner is normally replaced as a unit.
Why would the alternator pulley trash it ? Bad Bearing?

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
The alternator pulley needs to freewheel in one direction to dampen the diesel engine vibrations. If the pulley locks up, which they frequently do, the small shock absorber on the tensioner doesn't last long.
thanks will look into that

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI

Looking at tensioner assembly's on Rockauto and sure enough one pulley shown has a hole thats off center. Im assuming thats the design for the tensioner. I did mention an Elliptical orbit I noticed on my TDI 6ensioner . Go to Rockauto its the SKP part. Any input on thee function appreciated. Thanks.