Turn-In Condition Thread!

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
As others mentioned--no issues at all. Had the receipt in my email before I left. Now waiting for the EFT email.
Expected as much.

On a related note - have you already registered the new A3 for the settlement? Maybe opted for a fix for now?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I've registered the A3, but haven't made a selection yet. I can sell it back for almost $5k more than I paid for it, or get the fix and almost $10k. Just not sure if I'll want to keep it or not yet.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I've registered the A3, but haven't made a selection yet. I can sell it back for almost $5k more than I paid for it, or get the fix and almost $10k. Just not sure if I'll want to keep it or not yet.
Wow.. To sell privately after the deal was settled instead of selling it back to Audi? I guess they just didn't like money?

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG Silver 2006 JETTA DSG
We turned in our Jetta today ...Turn your car in however you want to .
Long as it's drivable . Strip what you want... I literally took the gearshift knob off of the car . I did put the gearshift knob from our 2005.5 DSG in the place of that one

LeahPharmD

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon (Bio-diesel), 2012 Golf TDI (SOLD BACK)
This is what's going back, once I get the offer and appointment:

Mine also has hood damage, but a bit worse - I can't open the hood. It does drive, despite the way it looks. Do you think they will need to see that it is, indeed, the original Jetta diesel engine? A neighbor offered to cut away part of the hood. Can you open your hood? Do you think I should take the neighbor up on his offer or not bother?

Hey Mollsmom- how'd you do with your buyback? Mine is slammed up and I'm a bit nervous.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow.. To sell privately after the deal was settled instead of selling it back to Audi? I guess they just didn't like money?
I bought the A3 from an Audi dealer right after the wreck, which was before we knew that post-6/28 buyers would be eligible for 100% restitution. The purchase price out the door was pretty close to what the buyback would have been with 50% restitution.

That's the fourth TDI I bought after the deal was settled and made public, all from dealers.

whipwarrior

TDI
none
Dieselgate is officially over for me. I turned in my 2013 Golf TDI at the dealership this morning. As a lifelong VW enthusiast, I felt obligated to return the car in the best condition possible. Last weekend I spent two hours meticulously washing & detailing the car until it practically glowed. I've owned it for nearly 3 years, and it's been an absolute joy to drive. The buyback rep was extremely courteous, and finished the entire process in about 15 minutes. I only had to sign two documents (odometer validation and transfer of ownership to VW). Since the car is in pristine condition and super low mileage, they awarded me nearly $25K, which is almost exactly what I paid for it new back in 2014.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the freshly-washed Golf last Sunday:

and yesterday evening:

Tonight I received the payment confirmation e-mail from VWGoA, and finalized the transaction.

Now I feel like this:

Santa Korn is coming to town!!! :)

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Since the car is in pristine condition and super low mileage, they awarded me nearly $25K,
...but they would have paid the same if it had been in beat-to-crap condition. Looks nice though. My car going back tomorrow is in very good shape, but I'm not making any special effort to clean it for them.

KCop

TDI
2013 Golf Tdi
I just turned in my 2013 VW Golf TDI. My total back was $23,506 and change. And no, the condition doesn't matter. I asked the guy (Clay Cooley, Richardson Texas) if the internet rumors were true about turn in condition, and he said as long as it runs and drives.

My car was in near perfect condition. My daughter is still crying over the loss. We did however use some dental floss and remove the "Golf TDI" letters from the back of the hatch. I gotta say it looks nicer too. Sorry, looked.

The guy said it would be hauled off with a tow truck later tonight.

What to do with the 23 large? I guess pay off a good chunk of my new Lexus! HA!!!! YES! A GS350 F Sport. Sorry VW.

If anyone has any questions, pm me, but the process is so easy and quick. just a driver's license and title. sign the odo statement and the other paper giving them power of atty to sign the title, and no problem at all.

Just went out and got me a new pair of cowboy boots too tonight!

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Dieselgate is officially over for me. I turned in my 2013 Golf TDI at the dealership this morning. As a lifelong VW enthusiast, I felt obligated to return the car in the best condition possible. Last weekend I spent two hours meticulously washing & detailing the car until it practically glowed. I've owned it for nearly 3 years, and it's been an absolute joy to drive. The buyback rep was extremely courteous, and finished the entire process in about 15 minutes. I only had to sign two documents (odometer validation and transfer of ownership to VW). Since the car is in pristine condition and super low mileage, they awarded me nearly $25K, which is almost exactly what I paid for it new back in 2014.
respect

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Anyway, here's a few pics of the freshly-washed Golf last Sunday:

and yesterday evening:

Tonight I received the payment confirmation e-mail from VWGoA, and finalized the transaction.

Now I feel like this:

Santa Korn is coming to town!!! :)

You took the high road ~~ Good for you:)

Question please ~~ Did you think of using more time on the buy back? ~~~ It pays the same

whipwarrior

TDI
none
No, because I'd been entertaining the idea of buying a Beetle since January, so once I found (and bought) the new car, I wanted to get the buyback money as soon as possible to replenish my savings account. No point delaying it. And, in the end, I am completely satisfied with the entire buyback transaction process. It was extremely simple, and I remain a devoted and satisfied VW customer. :)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, because I'd been entertaining the idea of buying a Beetle since January, so once I found (and bought) the new car, I wanted to get the buyback money as soon as possible to replenish my savings account. No point delaying it. And, in the end, I am completely satisfied with the entire buyback transaction process. It was extremely simple, and I remain a devoted and satisfied VW customer. :)
Thank you for fast answer:)

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Love whipwarrior's posts. The Santa Korn pics in both threads were cute. haha
But yeah, they pay the same whether it's in pristine condition or not. I used to have my car professionally detailed, and hubby and I would always hand wash and wax it. It's been sitting without a wash of any sort apart from whatever the dealership up here did to wash it my last service visit. I expect to get back about $26k for it. We'll see.

-T.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to confess I'm a bit baffled by those who are taking the time to detail their cars for the buyback. It won't get you a dime more in the buyback, and the car's going to spend (at least) some weeks out in the elements. What's the point? What return do you get from the effort?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Its like dressing Grandpa up in his best suit for his funeral.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would clean my car in hopes that it would live on once a fix is approved. But I'm leaning more toward keeping my car atm.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I have to confess I'm a bit baffled by those who are taking the time to detail their cars for the buyback. It won't get you a dime more in the buyback, and the car's going to spend (at least) some weeks out in the elements. What's the point? What return do you get from the effort?
The guy I talked to said that he just hates a dirty car. For some people, it's just that simple.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not going to "detail" it at sell time.

But always garage it and just generally keep it clean for my own sake.

Really hate nasty-doggy-smelly-pukie autos:mad:

In general, plan on doing a fresh looking car

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
But always garage it and just generally keep it clean for my own sake.
Sure, I completely get keeping the car clean for your own sake. If I'm driving the car, I like it to be clean (though I'll admit I don't always keep it that way). I get detailing the car before trading it in, as that's likely to influence what you get in trade-in value. But I don't see the point in spending hours detailing the car immediately before turning it in for the buyback. To each his own, I guess.

whipwarrior

TDI
none
I've always been an OCD neat freak, and I just can't stand a dirty car. I like to take care of my property, even if I'm selling it back to Volkswagen. And yes, it's the simple satisfaction of a job well done. :)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sure, I completely get keeping the car clean for your own sake. If I'm driving the car, I like it to be clean (though I'll admit I don't always keep it that way). I get detailing the car before trading it in, as that's likely to influence what you get in trade-in value. But I don't see the point in spending hours detailing the car immediately before turning it in for the buyback. To each his own, I guess.
Must be a "good feeling" sort of THANG.

But I admit to being a freak on clean windows. To the death sort of issue ~~ The car does not move 'til the windows are clear:D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've always been an OCD neat freak, and I just can't stand a dirty car. I like to take care of my property, even if I'm selling it back to Volkswagen. And yes, it's the simple satisfaction of a job well done. :)
You and my wife and her 2015 Toyota RAV4 limited;)

whipwarrior

TDI
none
On a sidenote, I did return the car with this decal (which I applied last fall after the Dieselgate story broke):

Just to show that I'm a VW enthusiast with a sense of humor. Not sure if anyone at the dealership will appreciate the dig, but *I* think it's funny! :D

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
On a sidenote, I did return the car with this decal (which I applied last fall after the Dieselgate story broke):

Just to show that I'm a VW enthusiast with a sense of humor. Not sure if anyone at the dealership will appreciate the dig, but *I* think it's funny! :D
That's been on my beetle since the story broke as well.