Turbo

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
About a year ago My jetta went into Limp mode and Hillcrest replaced the turbo. The next day after picking it up it was back in limp mode again and Hillcrest took the car back and returned it to me the following day telling me that the Vaccum line was cracked.

Withiin the past few months the car has had a complete lack of power. Harrington's looked it over when they were doing the timing belt replacement and said that the hoses leading to the intercooler required replacement as they had leaks. Upon receipt of the parts (not stocked locally) they replaced them. When I received the car back I noticed that there was still no power. I took it back immediately and waited about an hour for them to look at it. I was in the shop when they removed a cpl components on top of the engine and the tech noticed that the turbo was loose. Upon further inspection there was a bolt missing from the turbo when it was replaced (I'm assuming the last time it was removed was when hillcrest replaced it)

Harrington's has informed me that the turbo may be shot as when they cleaned out the intercooler lines there was oil in the intercooler (oil change was done the week before with the timing belt replacement).

As this engine now may require a new turbo and at least one more hose assy, does anyone know where to purchase a turbo other than the dealer or if anyone can rebuild it?

Thanks in advance

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well if you don't mind one from a scrapyard:

http://www.car-part.com

Searchable for Canadian scrapyards too!

Tuzlo said:
About a year ago My jetta went into Limp mode and Hillcrest replaced the turbo. The next day after picking it up it was back in limp mode again and Hillcrest took the car back and returned it to me the following day telling me that the Vaccum line was cracked.

Withiin the past few months the car has had a complete lack of power. Harrington's looked it over when they were doing the timing belt replacement and said that the hoses leading to the intercooler required replacement as they had leaks. Upon receipt of the parts (not stocked locally) they replaced them. When I received the car back I noticed that there was still no power. I took it back immediately and waited about an hour for them to look at it. I was in the shop when they removed a cpl components on top of the engine and the tech noticed that the turbo was loose. Upon further inspection there was a bolt missing from the turbo when it was replaced (I'm assuming the last time it was removed was when hillcrest replaced it)

Harrington's has informed me that the turbo may be shot as when they cleaned out the intercooler lines there was oil in the intercooler (oil change was done the week before with the timing belt replacement).

As this engine now may require a new turbo and at least one more hose assy, does anyone know where to purchase a turbo other than the dealer or if anyone can rebuild it?

Thanks in advance

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Ouch... that sucks.

As for where to get a new(ish) turbo, Brian Harrison might be able to source something for you. Also, turbos (both VNT-15 and VNT-17) seem to pop up on the For Sale section of these forums pretty frequently and typically for good prices.

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Galatic Blue
skenny said:
Ouch... that sucks.

As for where to get a new(ish) turbo, Brian Harrison might be able to source something for you. Also, turbos (both VNT-15 and VNT-17) seem to pop up on the For Sale section of these forums pretty frequently and typically for good prices.
His is a PD engine, so, he would need a KP 39 or whatever they're called, slightly different than a VNT15. More reliable from what I'm told.

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The service guys are pretty good at Hillcrest, I'd get harringtons to doccument the missing bolt, and let Hillcrest know, I'm sure they will make it right, saving you some cash, you can alwalys have Harringtongs check it afterwards !