turbo whistle vnt17

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I have a vnt17 on a alh and i noticed i hear the turbo whistle when I'm idling after a few mins. i hear it also when revving. is this normal or possible leak? I did not hear this when i had my vnt15.

used turbo with 100k on it and had no play. I also replaced actuator and adjusted accordingly (if I done it right)

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
what kind of exhaust do you have on? i know when i bought my parts car (when it was running) had straight pipes with no cat. you could hear the turbo spool even on idle on a vnt-15. if you don't have a modified exhaust then i would suspect some sort of leak in the exhaust. how is the car running overall? if it preforms appropriately then the leak probably isn't in the boost pipes or else your car would run terribly (if it would even run at all)

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
what kind of exhaust do you have on? i know when i bought my parts car (when it was running) had straight pipes with no cat. you could hear the turbo spool even on idle on a vnt-15. if you don't have a modified exhaust then i would suspect some sort of leak in the exhaust. how is the car running overall? if it preforms appropriately then the leak probably isn't in the boost pipes or else your car would run terribly (if it would even run at all)
its straight piped. it's just odd as I didnt hear it with the vnt15 with same setup. only difference it's a stage 4 tune from 3 and 3bar map.
car runs good as far as I know. if i idle i dont hear it until a few mins later. Probably spooling?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
My BEW has a VNT 17 and it whistles all the time.
Stock exhaust, no apparent loss in power.
I suspect a leak somewhere but have been too lazy to investigate

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
i say if nothing feels wrong and the car drives fine, just enjoy the sound of that sweet turbo and keep motoring on! although with a vnt-17 i suggest you get a boost gauge and maybe a egt gauge just for security.