Turbo Vein Question

eyeball

TDI
03 Jetta tdi
I have looked and looked all over, asked people that are selling the turbo vein assembly what thread pitch the 3 t-25 (I believe) bolts or screws whatever you may call them.

Anyone have 1 laying around that is able to tell me?

Also would you guys replace the whole manifold and turbo already assembled? Or just take the turbo apart and clean the veins to slide in a vnt17(in car)?
Thank you everyone! I'm new here.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hey welcome to the forum!

I think the word you’re looking for is “vanes” 😉
Veins are what your blood flows through.

Sorry I don’t have the information you’re looking for...
Why do you need the screw’s thread pitch?

I would probably say take it apart and clean the vanes, but I don’t know what issues you may be having with it.

eyeball

TDI
03 Jetta tdi
Oh, my mistake on that one.
The reasoning behind the question is because I am wanting to have a tap ready and to chase the threads before I take it apart on the car. I dont want to just guess and buy taps I dont need. It's a tight budget here.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I highly doubt you will need to chase those threads. I've had several alh turbos apart and never had an issue with them. You're more likely to have thread issues on the 10mm head bolts that hold the turbing housing together.

Gruni14

TDI
2002 Jetta
Are you looking to rebuild? That's what I would do. But do you need to? Mine had 250k mi and I went to replace it with a brand new Garret. Turns out it looked great and had no more slop/wear than the brand new turbo. I shouldda put it back in, but I had stupidly already bought the new turbo in advance. Soooo, yeah, just rebuild yours. But check it first, there may not be any problems. There should be a little bit of freeplay. Even new ones have a little bit of freeplay. I think the new Garret had like something like 1/6" to 3/32" freeplay movement at the end of the shaft (moving with my fingers). Just going off memory.

Take the intake in to get hot-tanked ...or soak in solvent ...or gasoline for a few days and rod it out with a thick brush. The first time I did mine (after I bought my car) the intake was gummed up to the point where there was only like 1/2" hole for the air to go through! LOL. 125k later I took it off again and there was hardly any build-up. ..probably bc the original owner drove around the city a lot and almost all my driving was highway. IDK.

ccaissie

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 99.5 GL Gasser, 1989 jetta diesel n.a.
In your searches, did you find a good turbo rebuild kit? I plan to do mine and not crazy about yanking the whole shebang out.

eyeball

TDI
03 Jetta tdi
In your searches, did you find a good turbo rebuild kit? I plan to do mine and not crazy about yanking the whole shebang out.
I am not sure if I would categorize it as "good" or not, but I found a ebay one from it seemed a good dealer. I have used a Ebay turbo rebuild before on my 7.3 Powerstroke with no issues at all. So I figured I would do the same here. I honestly haven't put it in yet because I figure when I do the clutch and everything is apart I'll do it then.