Turbo sound got louder

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
A couple of weeks ago my turbo became noticeably louder. It sounds to me like the same sound I've always heard out of it, just louder. There doesn't seem to be any change in performance.

I got under the car last week and went looking for a boost leak to no avail. Interestingly, the turbo sound is much louder IN the car than out it.

Here's what it sounds like:

http://youtu.be/ngIfUlTNlcs

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
This is a 2001 Jetta with ALH engine. Does this sound bad to anyone, or just louder?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I didn't hear anything unusual. Check the oil level, and check for boost leaks (split or disconnected hose).

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oil level is okay, but I had to add a quart a couple of weeks ago. I haven't pulled the intercooler hose to see if there's oil in there. I also can't detect any boost leaks, but that doesn't mean they're not there...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you see persistent oil consumption or oil coming out of your intercooler when you take the lower hose off your turbo may be on its way out. I couldn't really hear anything unusual in the video. There's a great TDI expert in Braintree (Kraftwerke) if you want someone to check it out.

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
I have the same thing!

I have had it for about a year.... year and a half now (the noise). I have asked my mechanic about it, he said, that it sounded normal to him. No performance loss, no problems at all.

I noticed looking behind the engine, there is a metal woven hose, going past a heat shield, in the bottom center. I assume this is the exhaust. I notices soot on the heat shield. I cleaned it off and it was back in a day or two. I assume that the added turbo noise is from an exhaust leak in that flex hose.

Its been there for a long time, so I think it is ok, no smells inside.

That being said, I have 500 miles in front of me in the next two days, so fingers crossed!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the turbo sound changed a couple of weeks ago to something more "tinny", but only at rpms above 2500 or so. Yesterday the seal let go and the engine tried to run away... but I think I caught it before any damage was done. Guess I was hearing the death whine after all. See my post about yesterday's event here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=382238