Turbo Oil line and torches

Steve777

Veteran Member
I am putting a new head on my ALH, and have vague memories of some talk here about heating the nut on the turbo oil line before putting it back on. Now that it is time for that oil line to go back on I figured that I should know more about it.

I did do a search but did not seem to find any specifics (although there are a lot of hits on turbo oil line and torches).

What is the current "best practice" with ALH turbo oil lines. Is it OK to reuse an old one in good condition? Does it need reheating while it is bolted on?

Recommendations?

TIA

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hi Steve,

I'm not understanding your question. Are you asking what helps removing a line that is stuck? Or are you asking what you can do to a line which is already off, but want to treat it in some way so as to make removal easier the next time around?

I can say that if your line is in good condition you should have no reservations about reusing it.

Steve777

Veteran Member
I had no trouble getting it off. I don't know much (anything) about the "torch" treatment, but one of the posts I saw hinted that it was necessary for reusing the oil line. I took that to mean one needed to do something as it was going back on. But I could see how it was meant for taking a stuck line off.

Either way, just trying to check and see if there is some trick here that I should be using.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
You can reuse a copper crush washer if you heat it correctly to anneal it back to a soft state. Perhaps someone was talking about this in relation to the turbo line? Just a guess.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I just replaced the kp39 on my 04 bew with a vnt 17 two days ago. I messed with that stupid nut for about 3 hours and a 1/4 can of penetrating oil before I
Got it off. I discovered a trick, take a nail set and tap it beside the bottom nut so it can't move at all. I used a hammer sideways and tapped it 5-6 times . Nut came off with ease. I know you had no problems getting it off but I thought it was a good time to give out my trick !

James

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just replaced the kp39 on my 04 bew with a vnt 17 two days ago. I messed with that stupid nut for about 3 hours and a 1/4 can of penetrating oil before I
Got it off. I discovered a trick, take a nail set and tap it beside the bottom nut so it can't move at all. I used a hammer sideways and tapped it 5-6 times . Nut came off with ease. I know you had no problems getting it off but I thought it was a good time to give out my trick !
I finally got around to snapping a picture how I get these suckers off:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/IMG_00110.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/IMG_002.jpg

Obviously a staged picture on the bench. It is kinda hard to see but I have a small cold chisel that fits perfectly between the fitting and the turbo casting (do not insert against the aluminum) which prevents the fitting from spinning while you losen the nut. Any old chisel should work and it doesn't have to fit perfectly like the one in the picture...just wedge it in as far as you can. If the fitting hex isn't parallel with the housing just give the nut a turn with your 17mm wrench until it is. The large drift punch is there to show where I give it a gentle tap with the hammer to break loose really corroded ones. HTH.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242349&highlight=chisel

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I would plan on replacing it if you have the funds. Nothing sucks more then doing all that work and having the oil line leak. The end is a special flare that crushes when it is tightened.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
DR. Volks here if it come off easy just reuse it. If you have to fight with it just cut if off and install a new tube or one of those steel braided lines they work well.

If you have to fight with it to get it off you going to fight with it to get back on just eats time up.
Bob Mann