Turbo Extraction

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
When removing the exhaust manifold & turbo assy, do you extract it from on top, or from underneath?

I have a Bentley's, but it's not very clear about that process...

top: remove intake? yes/no?
bottom: remove driveshaft?

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
...just be careful with that oil feed line. Some suggest replacing it every time it's removed, although it can be reused if it isn't damaged.

The best way to prevent damage is to start by loosening the flare nut where it enters the top of the turbo (17mm) do this before loosening the clamps that keep it from vibrating independently of the engine. With the flare loose, you can loosen the banjo and clamps and fish it out, (thought it's kinda tricky)

Make sure you reinstall the clamps that hold it to the coolant pipe and the exhaust manifold, otherwise the feed line will break from vibration.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
aNUT said:
...just be careful with that oil feed line.
Can be a b*tch...

I had to use a torch to heat up the flare to union connection since the union backed out of the turbo instead of the flare. That made me have to take off the oil line too and weave it through the motor to heat it up....sigh....

At least my oil line was still in good shape. I didn't replace it, but I should have I think. I am keeping an eye on it though.